Eris seems to be sucking more and more as a phone latelyGeneral

Last Updated:

1. smittythepig

smittythepig Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I love my phone but it's performing its most basic function more and more poorly lately (which maybe makes it even more like an iPhone).

First there were the signal issues, which may or may not just be a software thing. The whole 3g/1x issue. And I have to admit that though I can make and receive calls ok most of the time in my weak-signaled apartment, I get the impression the antenna in the Eris isn't the greatest.

Then there is the whole issue with the onscreen call and end buttons and delay. Not to mention how user-unfriendly the whole phone app seems to be in general.

Then my wife starts to complain about the sound quality and how the mic seems to pic of tons of background noise but my voice doesn't come through very well. She says sometimes it's ok and other times it's bad.

And now I get these weird issues where I try and make a call and I hear it ring once and then nothing, or it will ring a few times and then make all kinds of bizarre noises. Or it rings a couple times and then I get a fast busy signal. And my wife just asked me if I tried to call her twice in a row. I only called her once, and hung up since it rang one time and then went silent. Don't know what happened there. Not sure if some of these things are network-related or phone-related.

At any rate, I really don't look forward to making calls with this thing anymore. Sound quality on my end is generally pretty good (though I swear I just heard a hissing sound today and now I notice if the volume is way up sometimes it pops). So I am thinking of getting a decent BT headset to see if it helps with at least the voice quality issues (which is kind of crazy since most headsets do nothing but make you sound worse). As for the other stuff, I guess I can only hope for software fixes, that they resolve themselves or that they are network-related.

Anyone else have any of these problems?

Advertisement
  2. Kevkelsar

Kevkelsar Well-Known Member

The ease of making and receiving calls, as well as the incredible quality of the phone calls, have been some of the major pluses in my book for my Eris. I have not had any issues except for a slightly weaker signal around my neighborhood.

3. addictedwayz

addictedwayz New Member

Yea its starting to get on my nerves a lil I always drop calls but on. the moto droid I get up to 3 to 4 bars no problem

4. smacky

smacky Banned

I don't have any of those problems. Calls go through fine, dropped one call in my dead zone house only once, but I do agree making a phone call by going through your contacts is a bitch sometimes.

5. bjf88

bjf88 Well-Known Member

It sounds like you might has a slightly malfunctioning phone, I would suggest going into Verizon and explaining your issues. That is what they are there for!

As far as the phone app is concerned, I truely think it is all about just getting used to it. I think some people forget that there are always the physical call and end buttons to use, I hardly ever use the screen to call/hang up anymore.

6. Frisco

Frisco =Luceat Lux Vestra= VIP Member

Of course he has a slightly malfunctioning phone. ;)

He also probably uses it in an area with marginal 3g coverage (which does change as the day goes by.. coverage is not a static, solid thing, it moves, a little like ocean tides it was explained to me by an RF engineer once).

Put that together with where the people are who you are communicating with on your device, and the quality of their device, and a perfectly good phone will sound/seem crappy.

But, yes, the phone being described by the OP may need looking at.