Eris Signal strength/BarsGeneral

Last Updated:

1. emerica243

emerica243 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Couldnt find my answer on the previous topics. But my phone on verizon hardly has full signal. Im running 2.1 on a brand new phone that i bought off a guy from craigslist. It seems my signal is only 1 to 2 bars most of the time, giving me around -86dbm. Sometimes it will be 3 bars, then it drops to one or none. Wondering if this is killing my battery too.

Is there some update that fixes this? Or some test to perform if whats happeneing is normal or what?

Advertisement
  2. OfTheDamned

OfTheDamned The Friendly Undead VIP Member

The signal meter has a glitch on 2.1 and doesn't properly show what you have. It can affect your battery if the phone thinks it needs to constantly search for signal.

Go to settings > about phone > battery > battery use > cell standby and see if it is showing you a percentage without signal. If it is then you need to do the airplane mode trick to get it back on track.

TDianna likes this.
  3. phil/nichole

phil/nichole New Member

i have the same problem
    its never above 2 bars

airplane trick?

4. OfTheDamned

OfTheDamned The Friendly Undead VIP Member

The airplane mode trick is simply to plug in the phone, put it in airplane mode and let it go to sleep for a few minutes. Then unplug it and take it back out of airplane mode. This will need to be done after you restart then phone each time.

5. gruss

gruss Well-Known Member

don't worry about it unless your having battery issues. I can sit under a repeater where its showing -60 db and only have 3 bars BUT I've was in a tunnel in an airport where the eris would actually connect a call and Blackberry wouldnt, neither had data and the eris was showing 1x with no bars. It obviously has a signal and can utilize it the meter is just screwed up. I would say if you have 3G showing you are fine to talk away!

6. LexusBrian400

LexusBrian400 Well-Known Member

+1 Agreed

7. rick311

rick311 Well-Known Member

this happens to me too, and i dont have 2.1 . thing is, i never have a problem making calls with no bars showing.

8. gruss

gruss Well-Known Member

Yeah. Even before the leak this never showed as many bars as my other phone but never had an issue making a call even in known bad signal areas.

9. pmdied

pmdied Well-Known Member

OTD- I have battery issues as well on the leaked 2.1 but I seem to have a different issue; my phone shows 1-2 bars but the battery status shows 5 full bars with the percentage at 2%. The catch here is that it shows the camera using 96% of the battery, and the task manager does not even show it running. Have you heard anything like this?

10. gruss

gruss Well-Known Member

Hmm mine is showing 92% camera? Camera doesn't even bare mention in spare parts though. Weird, don't know if It's actually effecting battery life.

11. pmdied

pmdied Well-Known Member

Very strange indeed. I don't know how/why the camera could possibly be consuming that much power but then again I know nothing about software programming. But it would make more sense for the radio,wifi or gps to be draining power rather than the camera.

12. pmdied

pmdied Well-Known Member

Rebooting the phone seems to have turned off the camera app, which would make sense. Camera doesn't show under >Running services.

13. gruss

gruss Well-Known Member

Yeah cause I don't remember turning on the cam since I unplugged. Guess ill check tomorrow. I checked running services and camera isn't on there and I didn't reboot. Perhaps another glitch?

14. TheAtheistReverend

TheAtheistReverend Anybody want a peanut? VIP Member

Any idea if this (signal bars) problem will/can be fixed in upcoming roms?

15. pmdied

pmdied Well-Known Member

I used the camera earlier today and usually 2-3 times per week. I would say that a glitch is a possibility. Would need the pros to address this one.

16. pmdied

pmdied Well-Known Member

After the reboot I noticed the batter charging much faster.

17. korben dallas

korben dallas Well-Known Member

I would be happy with 2-3 bars, 95% of the my phone shows 0 bars even though I have crystal clear reception. I did the airplane trick and my time without signal is usually 1% or lower.

18. gruss

gruss Well-Known Member

I heard we are getting a new "radio" with the OTA so I guess its fairly likely that they'll make it show "more bars"

19. pkopalek

pkopalek Well-Known Member

I agree with this. When I flash your Leaked radio, or a version slightly older, I get 0/1 bars all the time.. It's 2.40.something.02

I flash the HTC Hero Radio 2.40.something.03, I have better bars showing, at all times.

I'll about guarantee that the official 2.1 release will have something even higher than that, and be better for 2.1.

20. gruss

gruss Well-Known Member

Well I didnt reboot mine wanted to test it today, with it now showing 96% of the battery being used by my camera, I think that widget is confusing "camera" with "system" or something. I havent used the camera and through light use today the battery is still sitting at 90% after getting unplugged at 6:30 am this morning. Its pretty rare that the BB is actually doing worse than the eris on battery % so I would say its a glitch and not actually doing any harm other than being confusing.

21. ravenzero

ravenzero Active Member

was this ever fixed in the july update? I still have this problem