eris- small crack, no drop, WTF?General

Last Updated:

1. cbm419

cbm419 New Member This Topic's Starter

So I have a droid eris with just about no drop history (okay- one drop- about 4 weeks ago, no visible damage whatsoever, was about a foot fall onto a linoleum floor *edit* should clarify that it landed back down, so the glass did not experience any direct impact. also this is a REFURB replacement phone after my first droids ear-speaker blew) Today i was looking at the bottom right corner of the screen (to the right of the search function button) there is a crack running from the bottom end to the right side of the screen, to the right edge about 1cm long in total. I dont have a cam besides my droid so apologies for no pic.

It hasnt harmed any of the functions- just makes the digitizer look bad. Anyhow, curious if anyone else has experienced this with the screen/glass/digitizer? I'm livid right now cuz i know its not got anything to do with how i treat the phone (i treat it like a frickin baby) and I know verizon will NOT replace the phone under any circumstance... as far as i know.

The other thing is, I just checked my account- I had insurance when i got the phone (in january) but its now been cancelled which i unfortunately did not notice. I asked someone at verizon today what happened and they said "your old phone insurance didnt cover smart phones, so we removed the charge" meanwhile, nobody ever told me this or informed me said insurance was being cancelled and that i know have an un-covered phone. WTF verizon! is there any way at all to get insurance on a phone purchased months ago? I feel kinda let down by the whole customer service experience and feel this is certainly a time where they should make an exception. Dont even need a replacement for current crack (its not detrimental enough for that) but i do want insurance.

Advertisement
  2. Demache

Demache Well-Known Member

Just try to bring it in and explain. If a crack develops for no apparent reason, that should count as a manufacturing defect. If they deny it, you can't say you didn't try. Still, you may need to get insurance from a 3rd party, instead of through Verizon.

3. Frisco

Frisco =Luceat Lux Vestra= VIP Member

Hello - welcome ..

You say, "..no drop history.." then you say, "..one drop."

One drop and then a crack discovered later.

Cracks in these composite materials have a way of extending and becoming more and more visible as time goes on.. you're seeing that now.

If you feel the device is flawed because that happened, you could try an exchange plea at the Verizon store.

I would not do that, myself, knowing I'd dropped it, but they may be sympathetic to the crack appearing over time.

Good luck.

4. andrizoid

andrizoid Well-Known Member

id focus more on the fact that your insurance was cancelled witout you being notified, thats where the real issue is, go in, explain what happened with the insurance and how you need it because of the crack-explain to them that story too-and see if they can grandfather you in some insurance.

5. cbm419

Thanks guys. Im gonna try to see what the people at verizon would think re: replacement under warranty. More than anything else, I feel a bit ripped off in regards to the insurance. They should communicate the plans and what happens when one changes a phone.

moreover- its a total scam that different insurances are required for each type of phone- the whole concept of insurance is that you are pooling long term risk and they're choice to separate one plan from another based on the phone type is entirely ARBITRARY (especially as there is basically no correlation between the phone value, risk of damage, etc as there is with more sophisticated insurances IE auto/home). seems their current policies are designed to do exactly what happened to me- shake customers off of older, cheaper insurance plans without them knowing, so they can pocket years of monthly charges without any risk of having a claim filed by a customer with a suddenly more expensive phone to replace. Customers like me either A) don't realize they're no longer insured or B) end up paying a more expensive plan, entering into whole new long-term risk model that is designed to make certain verizon/whatever insurance company they work with (probably owned/operated/founded by formeer VZW execs, no doubt) makes bozo dollars off the whole damn thing.

OY!

6. copestag

copestag Well-Known Member

I would forget theres a crack even there...... if its that small they wont notice either.......

just go in and complain about various problems youre having with the phone..... silent bug etc etc...... they will give you a refurb ..... problem solved

7. cbm419

ya thats another GREAT idea. thanks. i have def had many of the issues re:software upgrade to 2.1 with silent calls and what not. will give that a shot!