eris stopped recognizing stock 8GB sd card and won't formatGeneral

Last Updated:

1. lady3jane

lady3jane Active Member This Topic's Starter

hi -

i had mounted my sd card to transfer files between pc (XP) and eris.

i correctly unmounted from pc (safely remove hardware) and then stopped file sharing on eris.

i took the card out and put in a different one (i don't have a card reader and was trying to transfer some stuff).

when i tried to put the original card back in, my finger slipped as i was pushing it in and it got like halfway in and then popped back out.

the eris saw this as an unsafe removal.

now, it keeps telling me "the sd card is blank or using an unsupported .." something. if i tap on the notification, it just takes to me a window to format it. i keep saying yes to format, but it never formats.

i've tried formatting from settings and tried mounting it again and formatting from the pc. when i do that, the pc says that the drive size is 1.08 TB (?!?!?). this is the 8GB sd card that comes with the eris. and it also won't let me format.

what gives? i've tried taking it out and putting it back in. it keeps saying unsafe removal but the option to unmount is grayed out and i can't choose it.

i tried taking it out, turning off the eris, putting the card in and turning back on. still nothing.

what's going on here????

Advertisement
  2. erisuser1

erisuser1 Well-Known Member

Depending on what happened when your finger slipped, it is possible that the micro SD card twisted enough that the flash memory chip inside the package cracked.

(I am assuming that the other uSD card continued to work with the Eris - although you didn't say that explicitly.)

Throw the bad SD card away and get a new one.

eu1

3. superchaos

superchaos Well-Known Member

Try restarting the phone with the card in. Power it down and back up.

4. HockeyFan4Life

HockeyFan4Life Active Member

You might have to put it in a computer and format it on the computer. And the place it back in the phone.

5. meanm50

meanm50 Well-Known Member

I have ran into the same problem about 20 minutes ago. No resolution. I highly doubt that the card is at fault as quite a few Eris owners have had this issue....

6. dracozny

dracozny Well-Known Member

I had this issue when I bought a class 6 card and the phone refused to read or format it. I am running 2.1root so I figured it was an issue with that. I ran amon recovery and used the partitioning tool to format the card, when the phone rebooted all was well. my interpretation of this is its not a hardware issue but merely a software issue within the OS.

7. meanm50

meanm50 Well-Known Member

Sooper Dooper weak sauce. I ran amon....I am 2.1 root as well...it still recognizes the card, but won't mount of format it. The card also wouldn't format on my desktop...so I guess it's a bad card....but I still doubt it was the cards fault....ghey.