Eris survived 5 minutes in poolGeneral

Last Updated:

1. needo66

needo66 New Member This Topic's Starter

I jumped into the pool the other day with my eris in pocket by mistake. 5 minutes later I realized it was there and knew I was screwed. I dried it the best I could and then let it bake in the sun for a few hours. I took it to the Verizon store to see if I could get a new one with the warranty. Of course they ask what happened at which point I lied, since water damage nulls the warranty. The guy popped in a new battery and the phone turned on! You can definitely see the water damage on the screen at which point the guy said, oh, this was in the water. My response was, "I guess that's possible." So, I didn't get a new one. Instead of buying a 'certified used' eris for $169 (ridiculous considering I got mine for free), I simply bought a new battery for $31.

The Eris is functioning properly, to my surprise, with some water damage to the screen. I gotta say, this is one tough droid!

Just thought I would share my story.

Advertisement
  2. Podivin

Podivin VIP Member VIP Member

Turn it off, open it up, remove the battery, then bury the Eris is a bowl of dry rice for a while (like 24 hours). The rice will help to pull the remaining moisture out of the phone.

3. Cajun83

Cajun83 Well-Known Member

Yup, water doesn't kill electronics. Turning on wet electronics kills electronics.

4. pkopalek

pkopalek Well-Known Member

Do this 100% ASAP, even though it's been a day or two, I GUARANTEE there's still moisture trapped in there.

Dry, white rice works the best.

Even if you have a plastic baggie that you can put one of those salt-bags-that-come-with-a-new-pair-of-shoes in there with it, it'll pull the moisture.

I'd do this right now though, as soon as you read this. It's important. Your eris could stop working at any minute.

5. Caddyman

Caddyman Well-Known Member

soak it in alcohol then dry it in rice. better chance of it lasting longer and not having the water corrode the connections.

6. bjanow

bjanow Well-Known Member

:eek: What? I'd have a very hard time getting my body to actually do that motion of placing it in a vat of alcohol. Unless, of course, it was anhydrous. But where the heck are you going to get that?

7. Podivin

Podivin VIP Member VIP Member

I agree that dunking your phone in a liquid to help it dry out is counter-intuitive. However the alcohol will displace the water, and when it dries it leaves no corrosive residue to sneak up on you later to cause a problem.

8. Caddyman

bingo

9. bjanow

bjanow Well-Known Member

Even regular old 70% isopropyl? I know that anhydrous at 95% would very quickly absorb any water it lays it's eyes on, but... oh well, you and CM know best I guess. Hoping never to drop it in the toilet again, however.:cool:

10. steve500

steve500 Well-Known Member

Soaked my buddies dell laptop in alcohol after it met a river after rolling his car off of the highway... works fabulous :D

11. Caddyman

yeah just a quick soak, less then 5 minutes, you dont want the alcohol to start dissolving any sticky/tape/stuff inside the phone.

often times screens and boards and stuff inside little electronics will use sticky tape or felt with stickum on it to space or hold stuff in place. dont want to damage that stuff.

12. v941726

v941726 Well-Known Member

plus, alcohol evaporates very quickly!

13. Cajun83

Cajun83 Well-Known Member

and completely!

14. xx_bishop_xx

xx_bishop_xx Well-Known Member

Just like drinking too much beer/wine outside on a hot summer day.