Eris Tethering

1. DFA1

DFA1 Well-Known Member

Anyone get tethering to work on the Eris? I tried pdanet but am having problems. I have 64bit windows 7 and the usb driver says to put the Android device into usb debugging mode, how do I access this mode? I can't see it in any of the settings.

Advertisement
  2. Blizzard

Blizzard Well-Known Member

I was told by the Verizon Guy that the Eris could not be tethered. I really wish someone could find a way to do it. It was almost a deal breaker for me.
  3. DFA1

DFA1 Well-Known Member

4. FirePits

FirePits New Member

I have downloaded pdanet and tethering is working great. However, I am using XP.To enable debugging, go to Settings > Applications > Development >
  5. DFA1

DFA1 Well-Known Member

@FirePits
    OHHHHHHH!!!! I found it just now! I'll give it a try when I get off of work tonight, well actually when I leave the bar tonight... errr that probably wont happen either.... I'll give it a try when I can.
  6. banjaloupe

banjaloupe Member

Did anyone get this working with a Mac/Eris combination?
  7. DFA1

DFA1 Well-Known Member

Shouldn't you be using an iPhone? :D
  8. banjaloupe

banjaloupe Member

What's that? Some sort of Newton?
  9. chicojd

chicojd Member

I've been using PDANet successfully with WinXP. There is no tethering app for MAC that I know of. Getting better connect rates with the VZW EVDO that I did with my old DSL connection last year. Very nice to see 2mbps up/800kbps up from my phone.
  10. Blizzard

Blizzard Well-Known Member

Holy smoke I just downloaded this from the Droid App site, followed the very concise directions and then went online on my PC and easily downloaded the drivers on the PC.

This thing is so slick !!!

There is also an upgraded version for $24.00 (I think that's the price), but I don't know what that version has that is better than the free one.
  11. huntsvegas

huntsvegas Active Member

This is a great app and very easy to download/setup. I had it installed, tethered and connected within 5min. I understand this to be a droid beta "trial" version (free); however, once the trial expires, it's stated that there will be http limitations. There is absolutely no information as to what those governors will entail. I'm assuming that the "pay" version is not actually an upgrade; but, a continuation of the trial version ($29).

I emailed their support team for clarification. Will post info if received.
  12. JimmyRayBob

JimmyRayBob Well-Known Member

How does Verizon feel about this tethering?
  13. aleis

aleis Well-Known Member

if i remember right, after the trial you cannot go to sites with http(s)
    and no file sharing sites.
  14. huntsvegas

huntsvegas Active Member

Good to know..Thx...That's not so painful, if one were to choose to stay w/the free version.
  15. JimmyRayBob

Dang ... that's pretty slick. I just downloaded and installed PdaNet on my laptop and Eris and it works great. Still, I wonder how Verizon feels about this .. if they can even tell? I'm impressed with the speed.
  16. thetomlin2

thetomlin2 Guest

Directly from VZW.com, number (2) deals with tethering:

17. JimmyRayBob

Thanks ... that's the info i was looking for. I doubt they would terminate my contract (i pay too much as it is), but they probably wouldn't be afraid to hit me with a big bill.
  18. huntsvegas

huntsvegas Active Member

Not sure how they would know, other then your data usage suddenly spiking..It may flag them if usage is off the chart (i.e. if it's your primary connection for your laptop/pc.) I read a comment on another thread, from an ex VZW techie, who said they don't pay attention to it unless it's through the ceiling..major downloads, etc.. Obviously, you don't want to call them up and brag about the great app that let's you tether.
  19. danno_182

danno_182 New Member

I have 64 bit windows 7 and just tethered with PDAnet. Setup was ridiculously simple - just download the app onto the phone, then download the tethering software and follow the directions.

Pages loaded as fast as cable internet. Great free app. I wont be downloading big files anytime soon though.
  20. jwhite4304

jwhite4304 Active Member

I canverify the setup is simple, effective and the program just works. Used PDAnet several years ago on a Treo and the new Android version is even simpler.

Jimbo

21. bcltoys

bcltoys Well-Known Member

Any updates are you all still using the eris to tether.
  22. Ataranine

Ataranine Well-Known Member

Gonna laugh when you all come complaining about how Verizon charged you for data overages.
  23. iandroidian

iandroidian Active Member

I am tethering right now using PDANet. I did have a slight issue with a adb.exe that needed to be killed in my processes. But now I am on line using PDANet.

Let's not continue with this topic. We want to keep tethering as low profile as we can. VZW might start limiting our badwidth or lock the sofware and sell it to us for an extra charge. LOL.
  24. Ataranine

Ataranine Well-Known Member

Idiot, they know when you're tethering. You have a 5GB limit with tethering, regardless of whether you have the unlimited data or not.
  25. Droidcula

Droidcula Well-Known Member

The only way they can tell is by looking through your packets being transmitted over their server. IMO, it probably works something like this.

1. You hook up the tethering to your computer.

2 You send an email from your computer via tethering through your phone to a friend. Or just simply web browse.

Well, your computer will include it's mac address or local IP address in the packet that WILL be sent. Which will be different than your phone's IP address. Therefore, they can tell the mail or browsing wasn't originated from your phone. So basically, your phone won't be the originator of the packet being sent over their net. It will be your computer because the commands are coming from your computer and not the phone. Your phone is basically acting like a router.

NOW, I wonder if they care as long as you keep it under 5GBs a month? Cause if you go over then that would raise a red flag for them to take a look at your usage. If you think about it, I can use 5GB a month using my phone legally. So why would they care if I tethered as long as I kept it under 5GB's a month?