• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Eris Text Deletion

Jetsetter

Lurker
Dec 22, 2009
Hi.

I'm pissed.

I'll never buy another HTC product. I literally can't believe how stupidly this phone was made. If you're in a software engineer making a phone that could receive text messages, wouldn't it make sense that you would want to DELETE them?

First, there is no autodelete. Why do I have to piss away my time deleting each thread? You could autodelete texts when phones were the size of a brick, and now you're telling me a "smart" phone is too stupid to do that itsself?

Second, when I try and delete a thread my phone freezes up. It says the application needs to be force closed. WTF? I emailed HTC about this and their response was:

Thank you for your inquiry regarding the messaging application and its functionality. I can understand how important it is to have a device that meets your needs.

I will be more than happy to forward your complaint to the proper department. I would like to advise to you that the reason why your phone is freezing when you attempt to delete so many messages is because the operating system

When you're deleting a thread with a lot of messages, just let it sit there for a sec, it takes a while. It's not necessarily freezing. Does it to me all the time.
This is definitely not as big a problem as some of the others people have. I'll admit it's an inconvenience but it's not that big a deal.
You should definitely watch the language also, moddies don't like that stuff.

Upvote 0
Anything over 50.
Ouch..well do you leave the page when it's trying to delete, thus creating the force close message?
When I delete threads with over 100 messages, I long press on the thread and press delete, then I wait.. no matter how long it takes. Usually takes no more than 30 seconds.
If that doesn't really help then it could be a problem with the phone.. I'd take it to the store.

Upvote 0
I haven't had this happen to me yet, but I do try to stay on top of my threads and delete them once they start getting big. But now that I think about it, I think I've been able to delete threads larger then 50 so maybe it is just your phone.

Also, have you tried looking for an app? I think I saw something about SaveMMS? But that might be just for saving attachments, not sure. I know I've seen other threads about this, let me do some more searching...

Ok well the only other thing I could find on this was to try turning off your screen time out so it stays on until you lock the phone. This will keep the program up and hopefully let it do it's work.

Upvote 0
Definitely go to the store. An alternative is to temporarily download Handcent SMS, open it up, and try to delete the texts from that program.

Possibly something wrong with how your Eris reads/writes data though, if you're having trouble like that. Or a corrupt OS (hard reset might fix? but that will get rid of ALL your texts anyway), or something along these lines.

I'd take it into the store.

Upvote 0
Yeah, apparently it's a problem with your phone in specific because I can delete ALL of my threads at once and that's when several have over 200, and probably 5 or 6 have over 50 not to mention all the individuals.. It takes all of 15 seconds to do... Take it to the repair center, good luck.

+1 .. I'm using the native MMS and haven't had a single problem

Upvote 0
I'm having the same problem, threads with less than 100 messages delete just fine but I have one that got to over 1,000 and it just locks up my messaging app when trying to delete it. The rest of the phone seems to still function, but I have to restart my phone in order to be able to use texts again. One thing that may be relevant is that when this happens, it does delete any picture messages from the thread, but all the regular texts remain. It's not just a time issue, I've let it sit for over half an hour after trying to delete and have the same symptoms. I tried keeping the phone "awake" as seen on another thread here which didn't work for me. I've now tried the Quick Delete app with the same results as trying to delete from the stock application.

Would love any other suggestions, it's just kind of annoying. The thread in question is up to around 2,500 messages. If I wanted to "hard reset" my phone, how would I do that? Would I simply just need to re-sync my Google account (has all my contacts and calendar) and re-download my apps? I might be willing to do that once and just keep my text threads shorter from now on.

Upvote 0
Would love any other suggestions, it's just kind of annoying. The thread in question is up to around 2,500 messages. If I wanted to "hard reset" my phone, how would I do that? Would I simply just need to re-sync my Google account (has all my contacts and calendar) and re-download my apps? I might be willing to do that once and just keep my text threads shorter from now on.

I agree with OP, this isn't a problem we should have with such advanced devices. If you need to do a factory reset, that can be found under the Security options. I've done it twice, for other reasons, and it is just a pain in the ass to have to redo all your settings.

Upvote 0
This is what brought me to this forum. I tried and tried to delete messages and failed. Having to restart the phone etc....
Here's what finally worked for me. Delete each thread individually, wait for it to delete that thread. Do not let the phone go in to stand-by and stay in the messaging app. Don't try to do anything else. A thread of about 200 takes a good minute or two. Feels like forever but just let it go. My biggest thread was 1048 messages. It took 10 minutes, yes I timed it, and I was prompted quite a few times to either 'force close' or 'wait'. I 'waited' and it did eventually clear that thread!! I kept it on the text message screen and just touched the screen here and there to keep it awake. Was a PITA but now I know to delete the threads well before they get past 100 messages. I agree, we shouldn't have to go through this to delete the texts but I still think it's the best phone I've ever owned. Just keep the message counts down and delete. Hope this helps.

Upvote 0
Same issues here. Have to keep conversations under 400 or it will never delete them. When i first got the phone i let one get up to 1000..... grew to 5000 before i made it in for a hard re-set at verizon. Long story short I lost ALL information on my phone including contacts. NOT very happy with this design.

WHY WOULD THERE NOT BE AN AUTO-DELETE BUILT IN!!!!??? My 49 dollar flip phone when i was 16 would auto-delete texts......

disappointed to say the least

Upvote 0
I have a thread with over 2,300 messages. Impossible to delete, this phone is garbage. Only reason I got rid of my iPhone is because AT&T wouldn't let me get a contract without a $400 deposit. . . so I went over to Verizon and I could get one without a contract so I figured this must be a nice phone. Turns out it sucks, iPhone is simply the best smart phone out there. The Droid Eris is too sluggish, the App Store sucks for it and it's just too much for itself to handle.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones