Last Updated:

1. Frisco

Frisco =Luceat Lux Vestra= VIP Member This Topic's Starter

- Yes

- No

Advertisement
  2. Caddyman

Caddyman Well-Known Member

yes, surf the web, eat, drink, smoke, text, all that stuff.

3. ErisDroid?

ErisDroid? Well-Known Member

I haven't yet figured out how to text, or drive for that matter (LOL). But seriously, I don't text and for that matter know how to on this phone. never had a need to.

4. alexhendershott

alexhendershott Well-Known Member

I have before, and occasionally still do. However, most of the time if I receive a text while driving I will instead just call the person. Arguably still a distraction, but eh, I can't really judge others.

I even produced a PSA once for texting while driving. Irony I suppose.

5. doogald

doogald Guides Guide

If you answer "yes", please list your town so I know not to be anywhere near a road where you live. (I was almost hit while I was running last month by a dimwit who looked to be texting while driving.)

6. Caddyman

Caddyman Well-Known Member

i have almost been hit by texters/talkers/whatevers many times, i never almost hit anyone though.....you can't control others.....even with laws.

famous last words

7. yankeeboy

yankeeboy Well-Known Member

I totally do, but a lot less now with the Eris...with BlackBerry was a piece of cake, didnt even need to look down. The touch screen is still too difficult

8. aleis

aleis Well-Known Member

ditto...except eat! {throwing a fork at u!} get a table!! :)

9. Bswartz95

Bswartz95 Well-Known Member

I do it at traffic lights (occasionally). That's about it. If i receive something that needs attention, I'll call. I agree that touch screens make it more difficult. Before touch screens, I would never have to take my eyes off the road.

10. mattjphoto

mattjphoto Well-Known Member

I don't do it very often b/c I'm slow at typing on it. However, IL just passed a law stating it's illegal to text while driving.

11. A User Name

A User Name Well-Known Member

I attempted once, only because traffic was slow, but I find it near impossible to do without a physical keyboard; I have to keep looking at the screen to make sure I hit the correct key.

Short answer: No. :)

12. OfTheDamned

OfTheDamned The Friendly Undead VIP Member

I am usually too busy putting on makeup. :D

I actually will send IMs and surf when sitting in heavy traffic. If my car only moves 1 to 2 miles for an hour then it isn't a big deal.

13. Kevkelsar

Kevkelsar Well-Known Member

I would like to be blunt with this topic. While you are driving a vehicle, you need to be focusing ONLY on driving. Put your $!@#&$! cell phone in your glove box/pocket/purse and ignore it! Is your social life worth increasing the risk of being in a crash by more than if you were driving drunk??? The text will still be there when you reach your destination. If the phone call was so important the person will have left you a message.

It seems, for the majority, the only way to drill this into their heads is for them to be in a crash and end up hospitalizing or killing someone. Then they realize how stupid and short sighted they have been worrying about their lame social life and putting it above the safety of everyone else around them. If it's that important to you, do the rest of us a favor and hire someone to drive you around, only use public transportation, or call for a taxi for all your traveling needs.

14. Haywire

Haywire Well-Known Member

I used to.. Back when I had a hard keyboard. Then the iphone came along and made it too difficult for me at first, so I stopped. As it is, the county I live in here in ohio just made texting and driving illegal. I'll generally call whoever at the next light/stop.

15. OfTheDamned

OfTheDamned The Friendly Undead VIP Member

Just a stab in the dark, but you voted no didn't you?

16. trav473

trav473 Well-Known Member

texting while driving is to distracting, plus it takes forever for lukluk to get fired back up so I can continue my movie :D

17. Frisco

The other, some new, distractions built into most cars are bad enough: GPS and maps, super fancy speedometer/tachometer/garbageometer displays, satellite radio, etc.

Then there's that annoying steering wheel.

18. smacky

smacky Banned

I think it's just as bad as drinking and driving. I'll check at a stop light, but never respond until I'm out of the car.

19. pkopalek

pkopalek Well-Known Member

'Distracted Driving' is statistically just as bad as Drunk Driving.

Texting while driving is awful. If I'm at a red light, and I need to, I try to use a voice to text. It's funny when it gets it wrong.

Typically, I'll just have the bluetooth on, and talk on the phone if I have to. There's a button on Handcent at the top left to just call, if I open up a text at a red light and have to make a phone call.

There's way too much on a smart phone. It shouldn't be available to touch/play with on the road. If I didn't know people who wrecked cars texting while driving, I'd probably surf the Market or the web while driving. Tempting, but I post a 'No' here.

20. Frisco

My 17 year-old daughter was leaving her phone in silent mode reluctantly at my "suggestion" until a classmate was in a collision with another car in an intersection she'd run a red light at.

Now she leaves it in silent mode feeling quite cool about it.

21. LiverpoolsNo9

LiverpoolsNo9 Well-Known Member

I almost never make calls or text while driving. I despise it, I hate seeing other people do it, especially while they are cutting me off while not even noticing they just did it. Hands-free calling and a ban on texting should be passed into law for all states.

That being said has anyone tried voice activated texting, and if they have it is something they use regularly?

22. KinderwoodLabs2

KinderwoodLabs2 Member

Only at red lights, and usually just to check an incoming- not to respond. Otherwise, no. I even plug in the auxilary cord into the radio and make calls hands-free.

23. Kevkelsar

Kevkelsar Well-Known Member

Very much so, ma'am. :)

24. JAS_21

JAS_21 Well-Known Member

It's too hard to type on the touch screen while I'm holding my beer.

25. kar0la420

kar0la420 Well-Known Member

yes, it was easier withmy old phone but now I've learned how to text, surf web, and spread world peace with my Eris.