• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Eris Users: How Old are You?

Eris Users: How Old are You?

• Total voters
I hope the OP doesnt mind, I am going to ask another question ... Since a majority of us are 30+ and no one has admitted to being younger than 20 ... how many people have kids younger than 18 and do they allow their kids to have a phone like the Eris? Or even a cell phone at all? At what age did you let them have one or at what age will you let them have one?

My kids are 9, 8, and 6 ... none of them have a cell phone at all and I am not sure at what age I will get them one.

I got a basic LG flip phone at the end of my sophomore year of high school. My sister, who goes to a private school in Chicago got one when she was nine. The thing is, everyone in her class had one before her, and she says most of them run around with Blackberries and iPhones.

I would say once your kids are in high school, it's time they can have one. They don't NEED it, but it makes communicating a lot easier. Instant messaging is obsolete now with texting and Facebook, and even Facebook can be accessed from a phone now too so more kids want it. Any time before high school is pointless since you're driving your kids everywhere and you'll know where they are. A pay as you go phone isn't bad before high school though, just in case.

As far as smart phones go, when I graduated high school in 07, I don't think there was a person with a smartphone in our class. It wasn't until the iPhone came out, just after May 07, that smartphones became "cool" and everyone had to have one. Now, on campus, there are a good portion of people with Blackberries and iPhones, and those with "dumbphones" either really want a smartphone, or don't care for it. No one's in between, or indifferent.

So wait on the smartphone, but high school is a good time for a basic phone.

That's just my opinion. I too was a bit spoiled, so I still might sound a bit lucrative.

Upvote 0
I fall in the "40 or older" category. My boys are 16 and 13 - they each got a cell phone for Christmas of 8th grade, to give them a few months to get used to having it before hitting high school (where the older one actually needs it, mainly for me to call him and say "I'm here, will you get out here please"). Neither of them gets a "smart" phone, which means they are both insanely jealous of my Eris. :)

Upvote 0

davros.gif
<---- yes thats me lol

Dang, you're pretty short for 39 years old!

And who is that holding you?

:D:D:D

Upvote 0
46 :eek:

And my kids are 17 and 14(soon to be 18 and 15)---they both got their first phones in 7th grade, when they started going to tennis tournaments out of town, so they could keep my up to date on when they would be home, how long til their matches, etc. They also both got their first smartphones (8330s) a year ago(for their birthdays--they are born on the same day 3 yrs apart--no, not planned!). They talked us into getting them smartphones, mainly for ready access to weather...........we are in the middle of tornado alley, and very, ummm, wary of storms. They are both up for renewals the end of October......both do not want a blackberry again......daughter wants the eris or possibly the moto droid, son is hoping beyond hope the iphone comes to verizon(they are both apple freaks), but says he will get the eris if it doesn't. We will see!!
Oh, hubby is the only one in the family without a smartphone now. He can renew and upgrade in April........he wants an eris, but I am not sure about it for him......he is a farmer, so not sure how it would work.......I DO want him to get a smartphone though, he is much more techy than me and I know he would love it!
Sorry this is so long..........I need to be doing 1099s, I so don't want to get back to work(stay at home mom, but for a farm wife that includes many responsibilities!).

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones