Eris vs. DevourGeneral

Last Updated:

1. erjennin

erjennin Active Member This Topic's Starter

How does the Eris stack up against the Devour?

Personally, I like the form factor of the Eris but I would really like a physical keyboard. The droid's keyboard sucked.

I know Eris runs 1.5 (soon 2.1?) and Devour 1.6. HTC vs. Motoblur.

How do the internals stack up? Processor... RAM.... etc. Can someone break it down for me?:confused:

Advertisement
  2. Rubik76

Rubik76 Well-Known Member

The physical keyboard was the hardest thing for me to give up when I switched from my EnV Touch to the Eris (and almost caused me to buy the Moto Droid, even though I hate the form-factor and brand). Now that I have Swype installed on the Eris though, I have no interest in a physical keyboard. Swype is, by far, the fastest and best input method I've ever used.

As for the rest... The Eris does everything I need it to do and I have no real complaints about performance (and I'm still on 1.5 - 2.1 is supposed to be even faster) - although I probably will buy an Incredible when it comes out.

3. textstev

textstev Well-Known Member

when u buy this new phone what do u do with eris? i like incredible too but think it's too big but just maybe...

i would like to sell my eris though, maybe craigslist or ebay. afterall, it was $500.

4. carmendiva

carmendiva Well-Known Member

eww...the Eris hands down, wins

I hate the overall look of how the devour looks.
    Like i seriously saw that phone and it's horrible looking and i thought the droid was ugly which goes to show me that even Motorola can top the droid in the lack of sex appeal department

lol
    i do like Motoblur vs Sense though because I facebook and myspace and I just started doing twitter but i'd like to see Blur on a 2.1 device with a snapdragon processor...

Hell, I'd like to see sense on a device of the same aspects

I honestly don't think it is/will sell well as the eris

5. AdrianC14

AdrianC14 Well-Known Member

The screen on the Devour is/looks so small even though it's 3.1inches which is .1inch smaller than the Eris.

6. irish1136

irish1136 Active Member

Eris all the way, i got to play with the devour today on my lunch break it's pretty nice but the eris wins hands down

7. smacky

smacky Banned

I believe the Devour's physical keyboard is just like the Droid's. Worthless.

Go to a store and try it out.

Assess how efficient MOTOBLUR is, as I have never used it but it looks awkward in pictures.

The Devour is running 1.6, the Eris is running 1.5. The Devour will be able to run some more programs that aren't available to 1.5 users on the Eris. If you use the leaked 2.1, you can get around this.

I came from an EnV and its keyboard. The Eris keyboard is a bit frustrating, and no amount of practice will get you used to it, but it's a small sacrifice. Swype is another good option for some. I used it and I realized I type faster on the keyboard. It was just more accurate, Swype was.

8. carmendiva

carmendiva Well-Known Member

Devour keyboard is actually better than the droids because their is a lot more travel room and it's not soo...droid-ish

I'd probably pick up a devour even on 1.6 vs a droid if it wasn't so ugly with that silver looking design

9. Frisco

Frisco =Luceat Lux Vestra= VIP Member

10. jreed2560

jreed2560 Well-Known Member

I actually like the look of the devour.

11. Frisco

So do I, and when I handled it I was pleasantly surprised by the solid feel of the sliding keyboard as compared to the toy-like, junky feel of the Droid.

The Droid's superiority in other ways turned me away from the Devour, then I handled an Eris and that was that.

12. jpgoggin

jpgoggin Well-Known Member

I had a hard keyboard on moto rival. Terrible quality problems. I'm not against hard keyboards. I just won't be trusting moto again for a long time.

13. Frisco

Motorola used to make good police car and taxicab radios. They should have stuck with that.

14. AndroidFantic

AndroidFantic Well-Known Member

Jus know that eris wins does it really matter lolz

15. AdrianC14

AdrianC14 Well-Known Member

Motorola makes Comcast receivers lol.

16. Chopstick2U

Chopstick2U Well-Known Member

They left off the Search button so they could have room for the shitty trackpad. The trackpad is positioned so that you can't really use it in your left hand. The motoblur UI was really laggy in the store model, but I know those phones are completely overburdened with apps and bad decisions with all the people coming into the store and playing with them. Also, you can't really judge motoblur until you sync all your accounts with it.

Still, Sense is far prettier, IMHO. Also, the Devour is fatter than the droid, and only slightly cheaper. I've heard at Best Buy you can get a Devour for the same price as a Droid. So... I really can't think of a good enough reason to get the Devour over the Droid or the Eris.

17. smittythepig

smittythepig Well-Known Member

i like the look of the Devour. and the sliding mechanism for the keyboard seems wonderful. the only strange thing about it for me was the screen had that plastic mushy feel that most resistive screens have. it would be very odd for it to have a plastic screen but that's exactly how it felt. anyone else notice that?

18. smacky

smacky Banned

Prior to the Droid, I used to think Moto devices sucked and were all looks and no functionality. I guess the Droid has taken off and no one really complains about it sucking it up and breaking randomly.

Remember the craze of the RAZRs? It seemed like everyone that had one just got it for the looks since they'd always get pissed when they dropped calls and didn't know why.

Maybe Moto is on the rebound with both, the Devour and the Droid.

The Devour looks like a dumbphone, to be honest. Same with the Droid. It's just that the Droid's specs are well-known so people don't even think twice about whether it's fast or not.

19. Chopstick2U

Chopstick2U Well-Known Member

Biggest problem with the razr was that verizon forced their own proprietary os onto the phone. The cingulair version I had was fantastic.

20. ckochinsky125

ckochinsky125 Banned

I'd go with the Eris i dont like how big the devour is feels like a brick the eris is smaller and more compact and just feels better in hand.

21. jreed2560

jreed2560 Well-Known Member

I wonder if you could turn off Blur like you can with sense. Sounds to me like stock android on the devour would be a winning combo.

22. bcooke

bcooke Member

My 2 cents worth. I tried the Devour for 1 day, returned it for the Eris. I am coming from years and years with Bb so I expected a phone to work with minimal about of steps to accomplish tasks. The Sense makes the Eris way more livable to me. The dialer works the way the Bb dialer works, and the calendar is better also. I prefer my calendar to start in month view, then click on the date I want to see. Then hit the back button and go back to the month view. On the Devour, hitting the back button takes you to the home screen, then when you go back to the calendar, it is on today view. You have to hit menu, month view, to change it. Small step but not one I could live with. Not to mention it is heavy for a phone with a small screen.

23. Rubik76

Rubik76 Well-Known Member

Moto's motto seems to be "we know what you want, so don't ask".

24. The_shake_down

The_shake_down Well-Known Member

Eris hands down.
    and that's coming from someone who used to be a big moto fan, I loved my Razr and Rizr on cingular.

25. gruss

gruss Well-Known Member

MOTO had some legendary cdma phones. If a razr was dropping calls it was on ATT. E815 razr v3m and v3c were awesome phones. Itap was the best predictive txt I've used and the phones had some features that smartphones are just now picking up. If it wasn't for the most poorly designed charge port the world has ever seen on the older phones I think MOTO would be doing much better now a lot of.folks were so pissed about that they never gave them another shot. Their smartphones have always felt.kind of flimsy to me though. DEvour is getting there but still not my cup of tea. I'll be keeping an eye on later models though in hopes I can get my MOTO fanboy on again someday!