• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Eris vs the Droid 1 / Droid 2

jonmchugh

Aug 25, 2010
I have had the Eris for a while now and like the phone. I have the phone rooted on FroShedYo v 10 rom and like it. I'm just looking to purchase a Droid 1 or Droid 2. Now my question is, I know that the Droid 2 is probably a heckuva lot better than the Eris but is there a huge difference between the Droid 1 or the Eris since they both came out around the same time? I can purchase a brand new Droid 1 for $160. Is that a fair price? I could probably get a Droid 2 for around $200 or so. Thanks for the input

Jon

Not having actually owned one myself (so somebody who has will be a better source of information than me), it is my understanding that the Droid 1 is faster than the Eris, yes. It has a slightly faster processor, but it also has a dedicated graphical processing unit (GPU), which makes graphics operations not tax the CPU and operate faster. Considering that Android is a graphical operating system, that should be significant. It also has a slightly larger battery, better and larger display with more pixels, a mediocre hardware keyboard (though obviously it has the touchscreen kb as well if you never open it.) It was an Android development phone for Google, so it has a bootloader than can be unlocked, so will be easily rooted, if that's the way that you want to go.

That's what I know about the Droid. I know several people who bought one early and they are still happy with it, though I don't think that any of them have rooted it (it's not a subject that comes up in conversation.)

Upvote 0
Not having actually owned one myself (so somebody who has will be a better source of information than me), it is my understanding that the Droid 1 is faster than the Eris, yes. It has a slightly faster processor, but it also has a dedicated graphical processing unit (GPU), which makes graphics operations not tax the CPU and operate faster. Considering that Android is a graphical operating system, that should be significant. It also has a slightly larger battery, better and larger display with more pixels, a mediocre hardware keyboard (though obviously it has the touchscreen kb as well if you never open it.) It was an Android development phone for Google, so it has a bootloader than can be unlocked, so will be easily rooted, if that's the way that you want to go.

That's what I know about the Droid. I know several people who bought one early and they are still happy with it, though I don't think that any of them have rooted it (it's not a subject that comes up in conversation.)

I can get a droid 1 for as low as $120 or a Droid 2 for around $200. Which one should I go for?

Upvote 0
Well, it depends if you want to root the phone or not. Basically, the Droid 2 is a better phone, but you won't be able to root it because Motorola locked the bootloader. You can root the Droid 1, but the keyboard is a lot worse than the 2's and I'm sure the screen is better on the Droid 2 as well. I don't own either, but I would say it really depends on whether or not you want to root it or not. They're not THAT different.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones