Eris wifi is weak compared to others...General

Last Updated:

1. boblobla

boblobla Member This Topic's Starter

Don't know about any one out there, but my Eris's wifi is a lot weaker than, say the itouch or iphone, a laptop, etc... I test at the same location as the other devices and my Eris fails to grab the wifi when the other devices show strong signal. When I am close enought to the "hotspot", it grabs a connection. At home is fine since it is kind of an open house so signal shows strong, but don't know if the phone needs an update to firmware or software to increase the wifi signal or what. Now, come on, the Itouch's wifi cannot be THAT much better than my Eris...can it? Thanks for any insight. I'm waiting for what you have to say before I contact support.

Advertisement
  2. Frisco

Frisco =Luceat Lux Vestra= VIP Member

I would think that any differences in wifi reception, as opposed to strength of wifi signal from the router, would be environmental in nature much more than the receiving device's capabilities.

We have an iPhone in the family, a Blackberry and two Androids (my Eris and my wife's Motorola). We've seen no differences between any of these devices sensing the same home network router.

3. psu9495

psu9495 Member

I find that mine keeps losing the signal after about a minute or two, wherever I am. I turn on the WiFi, it looks, it finds, it has full signal strength. I'm just sitting in a chair, or laying in bed, but the signal always start to drop and kicks off after 2 minutes. Then it repeats. I have no problems with my laptop, etc.

It's frustrating because I sometimes try to talk on my bluetooth while surfing around on my phone (when my laptop isn't near me), so I have to rely on the WiFi to do both at the same time. But I keep getting kicked off and the web pages stop loading.

4. Frisco

I wonder why some have that sort of problem and some don't.

I did see a report in here of a user changing their home router setting from "n/g" to "g" which resulted in better reliability. Ours here has always been on "g."

5. JoCo1289

JoCo1289 Well-Known Member

How do you know if your router is on G tho?

6. Frisco

If it's your router you can configure that, along with many other parameters. Routers differ by brand (mine's a Belkin), but they all have a special address you enter and then appears a web page-like area where you can make the security and other configuration changes.

The manual is your friend. :cool:

7. JoCo1289

JoCo1289 Well-Known Member

Yea but I'm stuck with an old 2WIRE router and no manuel =( , I'll try to look more into it thanks for the info

8. alprazolam

alprazolam Well-Known Member

I'm getting the same issue. I've not had an issue connecting but I get nearly full strength on my laptop and poor signal on my Eris.

9. Mortgage_It

Mortgage_It Well-Known Member

my eris shows 1 bar of wifi when i am sitting right next to my friend who uses iPhone and his shows full bars. BUT, we both connect and surf the web just fine. my thought is that the eris just shows lower bars but still always connects just fine.

10. Frisco

I am of the same opinion. My Eris is usable in the lower level (basement) of a large hospital, with no bars at all showing, whereas my Blackberry was not and I was in the habit of going upstairs to text or call somebody.

I think it is the bars display, not the actual functionality of the device.

11. boblobla

boblobla Member This Topic's Starter

I'm just curious about the wifi signal specs for the Eris. Is it at normal specs compared to the itouch/iphone? I mean in decibels or however they measure the frequency strength allowed for wifi phones.

12. winchendonsprings

winchendonsprings Member

I am having pretty similar issues with my Eris. I'm on month 3 with it. The first 2 months I always used wifi very successfully at home. over the last week the wifi connection is super spotty. it connects then 2 minutes later its dropped. Even while I sit the phone on the actual router. and laptops work as they should showing the router hasn't changed.

Any Ideas?

13. erisuser1

erisuser1 Well-Known Member

The first place I would start would be to observe the signal strength, rather than just looking at a "does it work or not" metric.

Download "WiFi Analyzer" (by farproc), and view the "channel graph" (Menu->View->Channel Graph) after setting the Scan interval (Menu->Settings->Scan Interval) to 1 second.

Then, observe what happens to the signal strength as you move around or place the phone in locations that you typically use. A "good" signal will be much higher than -90 dBm, and hopefully 10 to 20 dBm higher than any signals on the same or adjacent (+/- 1) channels. Moreover, it shouldn't vary by more than 10 dBm for small variations in orientation or displacements of the handset.

You might end up being surprised at how much the strength varies for relatively small changes in position or orientation of the handset - the other thing that the channel graph will show you is if you are experiencing significant interference from nearby APs on other wireless networks**. If you see a strong AP on a nearby channel, consider moving your AP/router to a different channel to get some interference separation.

If you are having signal strength problems, that is, signals down around -85 dBm or lower, or signals which fluctuate by more than 10 dBm ... or even worse, both of these problems, then there is only one solution: move either the Eris handset or the AP/router, or possibly even the antenna positions on the AP

If the problems you are experiencing are not due to signal strength issues or channel interference issues, they are likely due to extremely subtle mechanisms which will frankly be hard for you to debug: I've experienced hardware/software combinations which would not work with the devices side-by-side, unless you tweaked an obscure parameter in either the AP or the client machine - and in the meantime a 3rd client machine (from a different vendor) would be operating perfectly.

The reasons are that even though the specifications for the technology are pretty precise, the software implementations are variable and buggy - and sometimes a combination of software between two different vendors (the AP and the client, usually) creates an operating condition that neither of the vendors tested or anticipated - and causes strange behaviors.

Debugging problems like this are absolutely not easy, but as a general guideline, if you can simplify the operating conditions and observe what happens, sometimes you can rectify the trouble. Did you turn off the beacons on your AP/router? (Turn 'em back on and see if things change!). Are you running two or three different protocols on the same router (B/G/N)? Use one at a time to see if that changes things. Do you have networks configured in the Eris with the same SSID's as one of your neighbors? (Please, God, tell me your network name is not "linksys"). Did you check the WiFi setting which controls timeouts (Menu->Settings->Wireless controls->Wi-Fi settings->Menu->Advanced->Wi-Fi sleep policy)? Try setting it to "Never" or "Never when plugged in" and see if that changes things. Do you have "Network notification" (Notify me when an open network is available) turned on? Turn it off and see how things go. Is your router set up to auto-negotiate speed? Set it to a low fixed speed (say 5-11 Mbps), and see if that changes things. Does your router allow "diversity tuning"? Turn it off and see what happens.

Those are just a couple of suggestions, but you see where I'm going with it - if you have a strong signal, you are going to have to experiment with it to find a fix, because the thing that triggers the "falling off the net" is going to be obscure and not obvious (especially to some poor shmuck sitting behind a customer support call center desk in India).

HTH

eu1

** note that the channel graph is not a RF spectrum analyzer - there can be interference in the channel that has nothing to do with WiFi routers or clients. The channel graph can only tell you about interference that results from other nearby wireless APs.

14. OLD_gUY

OLD_gUY Well-Known Member

+1
    WOW-what an encompassing reply. Thankfully, I don't have a WiFi prob, but if I did, I'd certainly be grateful for the input.
    Should be a sticky, or at the very least in the Tips and Tricks area.
    Well done! That's the stuff that makes tis forum so great!

15. thetingster

thetingster Well-Known Member

I made the following changes to my router and this VASTLY improved my signal strength on my Eris at home. I think it may have something to do with picking a specific Channel. I'm not sure. I now get a full signal on wifi anywhere in my home.

Anyway.... This is from a Linksys router, so your settings may look different.

Router Screen 1

Router Screen 2

16. I've been having Wi-Fi issues the past couple weeks (since the MR2 release, actually), and have been playing around with different settings to try to alleviate those issues. A couple of days ago I changed my 'G' band from 'auto channel' to a specific channel, and my signal on my phone has been MUCH more stable since then.

My router has the ability to change what channel it uses based on how much interference it finds, so that its always using the best channel... and I think maybe that confuses the poo out of the Eris. None of the other wireless devices in our home (a couple of laptops and an iPhone) have a problem with this, but I figured it was worth a shot.

Even tho it is more stable now than it was before I made this change, its still flakey -- and it was never flakey before the MR2 update. I know the MR2 supposedly did not change anything in the phone regarding Wi-Fi, but the timing is either a huge coincidence or something slipped through that wasn't supposed to. :)

17. doogald

doogald Guides Guide

FWIW, I have absolutely no signal problems with WiFi on my Eris. I see the same signals there as on my MacBook, including three neighbors, one of which is just about 300 feet away (though that one comes and goes, both on the Eris and the MacBook.) I am sure, of course, that the MacBook has a better antenna, plus 802.11n support, so it's probably better able to hold a weak connection, but the Eris sure sees them.

I keep my WiFi radio on while I am at home and turned off WiFi sleep in my advanced settings - I have a very weak VZW 3G signal here, so WiFi is much better for networking, so I want my phone connected via WiFi when possible. Very occasionally WiFi fails to connect, so I need to go into settings and reconnect (or turn WiFi off and on), but that happened since I had the phone, before the latest update.

This is probably not it, but in the instructions, HTC tells you to hold the device with your fingers wrapped around the bottom of the device, rather than blocking the top, because the antennas are all at the top.

The user manual is here.

There is an illustration within this description that tells you not to put your hands at the top, basically from the location of the camera lens up.

18. Solitary

Solitary Well-Known Member

Whichever router you own, to get there you will need to type this

192.168.1.1 in your browser.

Now, depending on how many routers and such you have in your house, last digits could vary.
    In my house, I have 2 routers, and a wireless printer. one router is 192.168.1.1 , the 2nd one is 192.168.1.2 and the printer is 192.168.1.47 lol

19. rosh400

rosh400 Active Member

Removing and reinstalling the battery, which is what Verizon recommended, helped.

20. schlesin

schlesin New Member

I am also having a similar problem (signal regularly drops on my eris). I believe my wireless network is fine as it works fine for my home machines... interesting, I do have two access points with the same sid for additional coverage.. maybe that is the issue,where droid is confused on the which access point to grab.

To add, I have tested it at work as well, with one access point and the same problem... very strange, basically it will connect to wifi and just fail, with the only way to get it to reconnect to stop and start the wifi connection... not very good. Guess I will stick with the mobile network.. as wifi (in my case) provides limitied benefits.

21. erisuser1

erisuser1 Well-Known Member

I recently went and visited my relatives, and discovered that my Eris wouldn't operate correctly with their B/G WPA (AES) WiFi router... sitting right next to some iPhones and an iTouch that were working just fine :(

The bizarre thing was that there no problem observing the router's SSID, getting good signal strength, or even connecting to the router: my Eris could get a DHCP lease, but not communicate after that. Note that the router was a very common one: a Linksys WRT54G.

With their permission, I fooled with their router, and found that my Eris would work with WPA+TKIP, but not with WPA+AES. Naturally, I found this a little disconcerting, especially because I am using exactly the same router at home... with WPA+AES!!

So, I did a little more digging, and found reports of the exact same problem... and that a firmware upgrade of the router would correct the problem.

Eventually, I was able to upgrade the router's firmware and confirm that the suggested remedy worked (... but not before discovering that using Safari to upgrade firmware on a Linksys router is a really, really bad idea... and that a partially bricked Linksys can sometimes be rescued with a TFTP server)

Anyway, I think this example illustrates what happens with complicated technology (like WiFi) where there are multiple vendors involved. Both radios were fine, both antennas were fine... but a particular combination of software between two different vendors produced a hard failure, where other combinations had no such fault. (Just imagine what buying handsets from random vendors without having the carriers test them first would be like)

It also illustrates the difficulty in giving advice to someone who reports online that they are having troubles... the trouble could be nearly anywhere.

If you are having WiFi problems with routers that you don't control - yer screwed; if you have control of the router, the best advice that can be given (in absence of very precise details) is to experiment a little with the router - there are more knobs to turn on the router than on the Eris.

eu1