Eris won't sync Google, Facebook, or Twitter accountsSupport

Last Updated:

1. HuskyKMA

HuskyKMA Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

My Eris won't sync my Google, Facebook, or Twitter accounts. It last did so last Monday, 11/15. I have had emails, messages, tweets, etc. sent to me, but they never sync to my phone, I have to go online to get my Gmail (refreshing within the app does nothing), but refreshing manually from the Facebook and Twitter apps does work. Going into Settings > Accounts & Sync > Sync Now does nothing, and all of the settings here are correct.

I've tried rebooting and pulling the battery, but it still does it. Haven't installed anything new recently, since my internal storage is full. Any ideas?

Advertisement
  2. doogald

doogald Guides Guide

That may have been the reason. If you turn off background sync in settings->accounts & sync, then go into settings->applications->manage applications, wait for refresh, then tap each of "Contacts storage", "Calendar storage", and "Gmail storage" and tap on "clear data", then go back into accounts & sync and turn background sync back on again, do things start syncing again?

If that doesn't fix it, my guess is that you best bet is to factory reset and restart from scratch.

3. HuskyKMA

HuskyKMA Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Thanks, but that didn't work. I'll try a reset or maybe just take it in to VZW and have them take a look.

And ny internal storage isn't exactly "full", its just to the point where if I save much more on it I get the "low on space" notification.

4. Guamguy

Guamguy Well-Known Member

Your Droid Eris, like any HTC Sense phone, has a fixed allocation of memory space for contacts. This address space is about 32mb but you can get e! low on memory errors even with 21mb.

The problem? You are syncing way too many contacts into your contacts book, since you're very popular with your social networks. This is especially if you have Twitter and you follow, and/or being followed by the thousands.

Here is what you need to do. You have to find a way to clear your contacts storage. When you sync back, just sync your Google or Facebook accounts. I would assume you might have both in the few hundred. Don't sync your Twitter account. Twitter generally generates much more contacts than GMail or Facebook as it is much more open. You can sync the Twitter feed for notifications, but not the contacts.

Try doing the contacts reset again by clearing the contacts. This time, do it with your Twitter sync for contacts turned off, otherwise, all the contacts will just sync in again. The bloat can also be from Facebook. The culprit is the sync which has the most contacts.

5. ceasanny

ceasanny New Member

I was hoping that this was the same case with my Galaxy but it just deleted all my contacts and now I have no contacts. Any ideas of what else I can do?

6. doogald

doogald Guides Guide

Do you have contacts at Google (https://google.com/contacts)? Or were the contacts only stored on the phone?