eris worth it?

Last Updated:

1. 09jtherrien

09jtherrien New Member This Topic's Starter

i am thinking about getting a new phone on verizon. I would want the incredible but its expensive. is the eris still worth getting?

Advertisement
  2. srmccoy

srmccoy Well-Known Member

It really depends on what you want and need. It's not a bad device by any stretch. It's not the most powerful, and it doesn't have a hardware keyboard (for some that's an issue). But, if you want to save some money and don't think you'll need the extra power from the Incredible, then the Eris will be just fine. It runs most current apps and games, with only a few exceptions. I'm very satisfied with mine.

Just understand that it's discontinued now, and it likely won't receive 2.2 or any other major Android revision. But if you're ok with that, it will serve you well.

3. MonmouthDroid

MonmouthDroid Well-Known Member

I think the LG Ally would be a better choice than the eris. It is a newer device that is still actively supported. The Eris is a end of life device which means no more support. Where were you planning on getting it? its not offered by verizon anymore and on sites like wirefly, it is free but the droid is only $20, and well worth that over an eris.

4. takeshi

takeshi Well-Known Member

Worth is always highly subjective and without knowing your needs/wants it's impossible to answer your question. Consider the points made above and factor them into what you need/want.

For me, the Eris was never worth getting but I always wanted a top-of-the-line Android device. YMMV, of course.

5. TucsonBob13

TucsonBob13 New Member

I bought my Ally a week ago and am totally happy with it. It is fast enough for me, and I have had no problems with either battery life or with running the downloaded applications from the apps market. If you don't need a top-notch phone (expensive), then go for the Ally.

TucsonBob

6. gwlaw99

gwlaw99 Well-Known Member

Save up for an Incredible or wait for the price to drop. The Eris is really slow.

7. LexusBrian400

LexusBrian400 Well-Known Member

It depends on if you plan on rooting it or not. Stock, the Eris is slow, but with root and overclocking, its just as fast as anything else.

All depends on what you want to do, how much money you have, and how tech savvy you are.

8. srmccoy

srmccoy Well-Known Member

Based on what? My Eris runs 2.1 and every app I've tried just fine. It's not running a 1GHZ processor, but it takes quite a bit to make it chug.

9. Fonseca

Fonseca Well-Known Member

If you do not want to get a top end smartphone, get the Ally. However, if you want a flashy phone, get the Incredible or the Droid X (both which can be upgraded to Gingerbread at a later time, and will be getting 2.2, not sure about the Ally).

10. chrlswltrs

chrlswltrs Well-Known Member

My wife and daughter both have had an Eris since November. My wife has had 3 of them and had nothing but problems. My daughter got lucky and got a decent one. But overall it has never been worth anything. The phone has a bad build quality, sense sucks and interferes too much, signal is terrible, there is very little internal memory for apps, the phone is extremely slow, and it will probably never be updated beyond 2.1. If you are looking for cheap get a droid or an ally. I have a droid and am getting rid of it in 2 weeks for the Droid X. My wife is getting the Droid X also, and my daughter is getting my droid. If you want a quality phone I would recommend the Droid X or wait for the Droid 2. I could not ever recommend a HTC phone to anyone even though a lot of people prefer them. Motorola's quality on the Droid line is just superior to anything out there.

11. breynolds007

breynolds007 Well-Known Member

No, I wouldn't waste any money on the Eris, end of the line device or not, my experience was that it was overall very sluggish when doing very normal things like scrolling through menus and options. Wait til the price drops or save for an Incredible, Droid X, Ally, etc. It will be worth it.

12. mediocreman

mediocreman New Member

I owned an Eris and it was the worst phone I've ever used. The dialer is slow to the point of being useless; I can't tell you how many time I missed calls or was unable to make one without doing a hard reset. It's sluggish at everything it does. Horrible device.

The Droid is 19.99 online. Get that. It may be uglier and chunkier but at least it works.

13. xzillerationer

xzillerationer Well-Known Member

I have an Eris. I love it to death, but I agree. It's an end of life device. Go with the Droid, if you like the Eris, go with the incredible. It can di everything an Eris can better. I'd have one myself, but I'm waiting for the Droid 2 and next June so Verizon will give me a damn upgrade. Two years on a non high end smartphone is too long for an upgrade

Sent from my Eris