"Error Cannot connect to the Exchange Server

Last Updated:

1. cyearns

cyearns Active Member This Topic's Starter

Hi all, I've been reading the forums for a bit but I haven't found an answer yet...

I got with our Exchange administrator today to setup my phone using ActiveSync. We just recently started supporting devices that use ActiveSync. To my knowledge the only type of phone we have successfully used with ActiveSync is a Palm Pre.

I go into AvtiveSync manual setup and specify all the settings according to our systems and we require SSL. However as soon as I press next I immediately get "Cannot connect to the Exchange Server"

I have data access and I can access our OWA website using the browser (although I can't seem to log in - I get a bad user name/password error)

I have been provided the godaddy certificates by my Network Admin, but I don't know how to import them. I have them on the internal SD card.

I also don't have any spaces in the user name and I've tripled checked all the typing on the settings.

Am I missing something?

Advertisement
  2. cyearns

Hi guys, I just wanted to provide so extra information in case anyone needed it to help figure out what's going on.

We use Exchange 2003 currently at work
    My Android is running 1.56.651 (build number/Software version)

As always any help is appreciated. Thanks!

3. jmorse

jmorse Well-Known Member

I connect via the Exchange server option as well. I didn't have to import the certificate though it did give me an error. When it did I clicked 'View', and than "Continue".

The options I have are:
    Email address - This one is obvious
    Server address - Mine is mail.mycompanyname.com
    Domain - Enter your domain here
    Username - Use the username you enter when you hop on via ota. Not the full prefix for your email.
    Password - Enter your email password.

Check to make sure the SSL box is checked. I suspect you either have the domain wrong, or are using the first part of your email address for the Username field when it's really something similar but different.

Hope this helps! I know how frustrating it can be.

4. cyearns

Thanks for the input but it's still not working...

Here is what I have tried:

Email address - first initial last name@domain.org

Server address- I have tried the following: https://owa.domain.org, owa.domain.org, mail.domain.org and the old OWA address that still resolves, cixnet.domain.org

Domain - CILAN, and domain.org

Username - first name, last initial

Password - *****

Require SSL

Only thing I can think of at this point that might be causing a problem is the fact that my password is set to expire in 6 days. I'll be changing it on Monday but I don't think that should prevent me from accessing it while it is still a valid password.

Thanks!

5. cyearns

Update, I may have lied to you all. :)

I tried just owa.domain.org and now I am getting an authentication error, which is possible is from the near expired password. I'll try it after changing my password and let you know.

6. cyearns

Well I know I'm hitting our systems because I locked my account out. :)

7. cyearns

Ok....Got it figured out.

I'm assuming using the https:// and the SSL setting was redunant, so once the HTTPS:// was removed it was able to contact the exchange server.

Also once I changed my password so it wasn't near expiration it let me right in.

8. jmorse

jmorse Well-Known Member

Fantastic! Glad you got it to work.

9. scred13

scred13 New Member

I am having the same issue...were you using a USB connection or wireless? Also did you IT department have to change any server permissions to allow you to connect?

Thanks!

10. cyearns

As far as I know there was nothing to change because you can connect to an OWA server (Outlook for the Web) since it should reside outside of your company's firewall.

I was syncing over the wireless mobile broadband from Sprint.

11. cyearns

But if you are trying to connect directly to your company's Exchange server, then there could be potential security risks involved with opening up the firewall to allow this. This would be something you would have to discuss with your company's IT staff.

However if you have an OWA website try using that as your server name/address.

12. scred13

scred13 New Member

Thanks...our exchange server is not exposed outside our firewall. I do have OWA on our intranet and was trying to use the USB connection and passthrough to the exchange server (i.e. via my laptop PC)...but with no luck :(