• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

"Error Cannot connect to the Exchange Server

cyearns

Jan 21, 2010
Kansas city
Hi all, I've been reading the forums for a bit but I haven't found an answer yet...

I got with our Exchange administrator today to setup my phone using ActiveSync. We just recently started supporting devices that use ActiveSync. To my knowledge the only type of phone we have successfully used with ActiveSync is a Palm Pre.

I go into AvtiveSync manual setup and specify all the settings according to our systems and we require SSL. However as soon as I press next I immediately get "Cannot connect to the Exchange Server"

I have data access and I can access our OWA website using the browser (although I can't seem to log in - I get a bad user name/password error)

I have been provided the godaddy certificates by my Network Admin, but I don't know how to import them. I have them on the internal SD card.

I also don't have any spaces in the user name and I've tripled checked all the typing on the settings.

Am I missing something?

I connect via the Exchange server option as well. I didn't have to import the certificate though it did give me an error. When it did I clicked 'View', and than "Continue".

The options I have are:
Email address - This one is obvious
Server address - Mine is mail.mycompanyname.com
Domain - Enter your domain here
Username - Use the username you enter when you hop on via ota. Not the full prefix for your email.
Password - Enter your email password.

Check to make sure the SSL box is checked. I suspect you either have the domain wrong, or are using the first part of your email address for the Username field when it's really something similar but different.

Hope this helps! I know how frustrating it can be.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the input but it's still not working...

Here is what I have tried:

Email address - first initial last name@domain.org

Server address- I have tried the following: https://owa.domain.org, owa.domain.org, mail.domain.org and the old OWA address that still resolves, cixnet.domain.org

Domain - CILAN, and domain.org

Username - first name, last initial

Password - *****

Require SSL

Only thing I can think of at this point that might be causing a problem is the fact that my password is set to expire in 6 days. I'll be changing it on Monday but I don't think that should prevent me from accessing it while it is still a valid password.

Thanks!

Upvote 0
But if you are trying to connect directly to your company's Exchange server, then there could be potential security risks involved with opening up the firewall to allow this. This would be something you would have to discuss with your company's IT staff.

However if you have an OWA website try using that as your server name/address.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones