error communicating with att serverSupport

Last Updated:

1. pogiewun

pogiewun Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

hello all. for the past few weeks ive been trying to do a software update on my phone. i know 2.2 isnt available yet, but i just wanted to give it a try for sh!ts n giggles. my old captivate that i returned was able to connect to the att server and gave me a message saying that there are no updates available. the new captivate i have wont even connect to the att server. it sucks that i have to wait 24hours until i can try again. everytime ive done it, it gives me that error message. anyone else having this issue? i thought being rooted and having the one click lag fix was the problem so i undid the lag fix and unrooted, but i still got the same error message. im worried that when 2.2 is available, i wont be able to get it since i cant even connect to the att server. my apologize if this subject has been discussed in another thread.

Advertisement
  2. sremick

sremick Well-Known Member

There's definitely an error if you're rooted, this is normal. Sounds like you didn't properly/fully un-root.

Not all roots or lag-fixes uninstall/remove cleanly.

pogiewun likes this.
  3. pogiewun

hmmm...good to know! thanks man!

4. pogiewun

ok so i did a hard reset and pretty much removed all the data in my phone. my phone is bone stock and i still get that unable to communicate with att server message. i wonder if my phone has some sort of software problem....im over the 30 days too which sucks @ss!

5. Rhiannon224

Rhiannon224 Well-Known Member

I've had this happen, AT&T sucks, sometimes it only works with 3G, sometimes with WIFI go figure. You can always get a waranty replacement. AT&T dosen't do OTA updates for anything but the I-Phone, at least that's what I've been reading. Rumor has it we will have to do it through Samsung's site.

pogiewun likes this.
  6. Centerman

Centerman Member

My Captivate is Rooted. My Wife's Captivate is NOT Rooted. We both got the 2.1 update patch a while back no problem. Now both phones receive the "error communicating with At&t server" message. The phones are fine otherwise.

7. Rardac

Rardac Active Member

I have a stock captivate - had it since shortly after release - and got the last two (?) updates with no problem. For the last 4 days I've been getting the same error: unable to connect with AT&T server. Seems a bit fishy to me. I mean, no update, sure, that's the usual response, but unable to connect? Hmmmm....

8. dbwill

dbwill Active Member

FWIW. I got a captivate in November. Got an update a couple of days after I got the phone. Rooted it and have not been able to get a connection since, same message as all of you. Called At&T customer service. I'm not sure they really know the answer but the Rep. told me that if there were no updates I would get a unable to connect message.

Anyone want to call AT&T and see if the story changes?