Error trying to do OTA update (rooted)Support

Last Updated:

1. nunyabizness

nunyabizness Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

It gets to the point of "verifying update package" and then says a bunch of other stuff (can't read it as this step and the next happen too quickly), and then in red says "Error in data/fota/(then I don't know what it says here because it reboots)." It powers back up and then tries to run the update process on its own again. I can cancel out of that and it works fine, but I'm just wondering why it won't update. No other root users have had trouble, right?

Advertisement
  2. saps

saps Well-Known Member

Did you dump any of your bloatware? Rooting alone usually does not block the update, its having certain apps like Bing et al missing from your ROM

3. nunyabizness

I did remove some bloatware, the really-BS stuff like Tetris, but I didn't mess with anything Bing. Eventually, after continual reboots and attempts to install the update, it rebooted in recovery mode. The tech at VZW had me push the volume and power buttons in a particular sequence, and now it's fine. Whew...close call! :)

4. saps

saps Well-Known Member

So you got the update? If you removed the tetris app I think that alone is enough to block the update

5. nunyabizness

OK, guess I didn't. It says there are no new updates when I check, but when I check the System Updates --> Status, it says "Package downloaded, user accepts to do update" and I'm still on DH12.

6. saps

saps Well-Known Member

Hmmmmm yeah at this point you need to either restore those deleted apps or manually apply the update

nunyabizness likes this.
  7. ludionis

ludionis New Member

I removed quite a bit of bloatware, namely all the VZ apps except hotspot (you know, just in case), the Blockbuster app, the Bing search, need for speed, tetris, etc. I also am not getting the upgrade to install. Please share your tricks :D

8. Lodingi

Lodingi Well-Known Member

Doing the update manually won't work if you've removed/renamed the bloatware. I had to rename the bloatware back to its original name & update manually. For some unknown reason, I could not do the OTA update regardless of bloatware.

9. saps

saps Well-Known Member

You will have to restore those apps back to stock. If you merely renamed or removed those apps but them back. If you deleted them you must flash back to stock which you can do here: Odin Restore files to get you to stock - xda-developers

nunyabizness likes this.
  10. nunyabizness

Thank you for your help saps! I just *knew* deleting those apps w/o saving to my SD card would come back to haunt me! Should've read that part of the directions first, huh? ;)

11. saps

saps Well-Known Member

Live and learn. In the future, just keep anything you remove backed up on the sdcard. With 16GB's you can afford a few mb's here and there

12. nunyabizness

Yup. On a pretty-much-unrelated note, but since you mentioned the storage card, I'm using a Class 6 8GB card and after recovering my phone yesterday I put the 16GB back in and ran Quadrant Standard and got 1900. Put my 8GB back in and got 2248. Hmm.

13. saps

saps Well-Known Member

Yeah 2 thoughts. One, is that Quadrant can vary a lot so that range is perhaps a bit more than normal but I've tested from ~2000 to ~2300. Two, part of that score is I/O and so maybe you will bench faster with a faster sdcard. Im not entirely certain what Quadrant tests and doesnt test