Error?

1. tgm1024

tgm1024 Well-Known Member

This mystifies me. This originally a dual post by me, because the original "Favorite Configurations" post resulted in an odd error after 10 minutes. And I don't see a [delete] message button anywhere.

Advertisement
  2. AntimonyER

AntimonyER AF Addict VIP Member

Just click the !Report button on your duplicate post, and a Mod will delete it for you. :)
  3. tgm1024

nginx error!

The page you are looking for is temporarily unavailable. Please try again later.

Website Administrator

Something has triggered an error on your website. This is the default error page for nginx that is distributed with EPEL. It is located /usr/share/nginx/html/50x.html
    You should customize this error page for your own site or edit the error_page directive in the nginx configuration file /etc/nginx/nginx.conf.
  4. Unforgiven

Unforgiven ~Shoveling Snow~ Moderator

Our site is currently under a very heavy workload that is causing that error for many members (me too:(). I guess that's the price we pay for being part of the best forum on the internet.;)
  5. tgm1024

Well start @#$%ing up more! In my software experience I can think of one or two names that could help....
  6. Xyro

Xyro 4 8 15 16 23 42 Moderator

Speed seems to be back to normal, but I've been getting a number of database errors over the last hour or two.
  7. Phases

Phases Community Manager Administrator

Still?
  8. Xyro

It's been all clear so far today, but I'll let you know if I see it again.
  9. tgm1024

As will I, FWIW.
    Xyro likes this.
  10. Xyro

I just got a database error. There were no details on the page, but in the page source I got:

11. Phases

Max User, sigh.
  12. breadnatty08

breadnatty08 pain rustique VIP Member

Haven't seen any issues with site speed since Thursday.
  13. Xyro

:(
  14. El Presidente

El Presidente Beware The Milky Pirate! Moderator

Got this for a couple of minutes this morning.

15. Phases

16. El Presidente

El Presidente Beware The Milky Pirate! Moderator

And again, didn't last long though.

17. tgm1024

Yes, but running out of concurrent database connections should be handled in a round-robin queue fashion, no? Database fetch/store IIRC from my java/sql+ contracts was fairly speedy even under massive conditions when the data size is kept small (which should be the case for a forum.)

A thought from the cheap seats----I'm wondering----is there a debugging mutex left on someplace? I have no idea how vBulletin handles such things, but this smells of a situation where somone put SQL into some kind of mutex ridden debugging mode and forgot about it, and that kind of thing REALLY becomes apparent when there are a lot of "collisions".
  18. Phases

Will pass that along to our devs and see if it reminds them of anything like that - thanks!
  19. Xyro

Just got this:

20. Phases

Let me know if you see it again pls, thanks!
  21. tgm1024

Was this solved or left as phantom? I've always been half curious if my pondering of a debugging mutex left on was at least partially right.
  22. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon Moderator

We done a number of site software updates since the reports here. Lots of bug reports cleared out, so I don't know if it's really helpful to track and explain everything done in these areas.

That said, bugs can recur or symptoms can recur that come from different bugs. The nginx error may still happen, but it's super rare now.

We don't want that, we hate it as much as you do, but all I can say what my mentor taught me about software decades back - only Latin is free of bugs, because it's dead. (The SEI agrees, no code is defect free, at best free of defects found - yet.)

Apologies in advance if you run into more trouble and thanks in advance for your reports if it hits you again. :)

PS - long time, no chat. Hope all's well with you! :)
    Phases likes this.
  23. tgm1024

Oh I hope you don't think I was complaining, I was just curious.

Things are well thanks! Back at ya.

As far as everything having bugs, oh yeah. Here: Even my KEYBOARD has a bug. Every I and J if typed quickly ends up glued together. Look:
    ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.
    Now just TRY and copy and paste JUST THE I from the above line. Criminey.
    EarlyMon likes this.