• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Error

ajdroidx

Android Expert
Oct 8, 2011
Colorado
No idea what the problem is this time. Instead of freezing the stupid nag to update, I decided to take the OTA. I disabled (uninstalled xposed) went into supersu and clicked the check box to disable root. Rebooted. Downloaded the update.

ERROR!

Thats it. I am using the stock recovery.

This whole lollipop upgrade has been lolligag for me.

Well, I'm rooted so my bootloader is unlocked. I uninstalled xposed via xposed.

Error! Is all I see on a black screen with the android logo a red triangle with ! On it.

Don't tell me I need to relock my bootlader. If it comes to it, I will just reflash twrp and find a rom.

Can't really assume that your bootloader is unlocked because you are rooted (towelroot).
If you are completely stock (with only unlocked bootloader), the OTA should apply just fine. If it is not applying, there is likely something that is not stock.

Since your bootloader is unlocked, you could just flash the new system images from Google developer site. You can choose to not wipe your data, though based on feedback from other users, a factory data reset after this major update to 5.0 is a good idea.

Upvote 0
Assuming that you removed xsposed correctly and there are no other system modifications... eg. Custom ROM or kernel... etc. Then the OTA should go through. No need to relock the bootloader.
Are you familiar with adb commands?
If so you could try and adb sideload it through the stock recovery by -
Downloading the OTA.zip on your PC, rename the file update.zip, then place file in the same directory as the adb.exe
Make sure you have USB Debugging checking in the Developer Options, then connect your phone.
Open the command prompt from the directory of where the OTA.zip and the adb.exe is located on your PC and type the command: 'adb reboot recovery' ( without the quotes)
When in recovery, you’ll see an android laying down with"!", (this is the stock recovery). Press volume up and release. This will open the stock recovery menu. Select “apply update from adb”
Using the command prompt type: "adb sideload update.zip" (without the quotes) The file the should/will load and the update process will begin.
When completed, select reboot.

Another option would be to reflash TWRP v 2.8.1 (5.0 compatible) and download a stock 5.0 ROM to your internal SD card partition like this one - http://forum.xda-developers.com/goo...-android-4-4-3-ktu84m-rooted-busybox-t2557523
then perform a factory data reset and install the ROM or just follow the directions in the ROM's thread.
As jj14x said, you maybe able to install the ROM without wiping your data... But more than likely to avoid any issues or conflicts you may have to anyway.
I've been running the above ROM for a couple weeks now and without any problems or issues... Great stock ROM. Have it rooted using TWRP 2.8.1 and Franco kernel. Excellent setup, performance and battery life.

Also make sure that you have backed up everything important and have a current nandroid backup just in case.

Hope this helps! If you need any more help or have any questions feel free to ask.

Reactions: Hook and jj14x
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones