• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

ES Explorer's feature deleted my past.....

Works. I chose the "clean" option on their home screen, never noticed before. What is the media folder anyway? I have been stock piling images and my art in the media folder and trusted the reported files to be trash and clicked OK. Well, every image in the media folder was deleted without a second blink or "are you sure". Some Five to seven hundred images.
So what is the media folder and why did my images get deleted as trash?

I can't find a link to any contact or support information and the www.estrongs.com website cycles banners with no links for me.
Anyone know how I can contact them?

You have to read the details in the Clean scream VERY carefully before you proceed. You authorized the deletions.

I had about 20 apps I created with Tasker and the Tasker App Factory deleted the same way your images were deleted. I did not read it thoroughly. I fortunately had a backup on my workstation.

When the reports cam e out that the ES Explorer developers were passing cloud usernames and passwords back to their facility in China I marked it as a Dangerous app and moved it away from everything else.

After this Clean fiasco I have it marked as VERY Dangerous.

The good alternative you should investigate is X-plore. It takes a little getting used to.

... Thom

Upvote 0
Unfortunately there's not likely to be anything you can do - there's no "trash folder" concept on Android, so deleted stuff is really deleted. Files on an unencrypted removable card can be recovered easily enough with standard file recovery software and a USB card reader, but files on internal storage are almost certainly gone.

I would never trust any app to know what is or isn't needed - I would always check for myself before authorising deletion.

I'll second X-plore. If you prefer a more "traditional" view I also use Root Explorer.

Upvote 0
I'll second X-plore. If you prefer a more "traditional" view I also use Root Explorer.

ES File Explorer was my backbone file explorer for years. It has developed more and more questionable traits.

X-plore I rather counter intuitive but safe.

None of my phones are root-ed and I always though Root Explorer was for root-ed devices. Based on your recommendation I took a look and it is what I am looking for for an un-root-ed phone ...
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.speedsoftware.explorer&hl=en

Let's hope the gremlins stay away from this one.

Thanks.

... Thom

Reactions: AZgl1500 and Hadron
Upvote 0
None of my phones are root-ed and I always though Root Explorer was for root-ed devices. Based on your recommendation I took a look and it is what I am looking for for an un-root-ed phone ...
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.speedsoftware.explorer&hl=en

Let's hope the gremlins stay away from this one.

Thanks.

... Thom

Hmmm, I note that it says it can do Network File Transfers... now that is interesting.

Is that feature working even on un-rooted phones? If it is, I will pay the $3.99 fee in a heart beat.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones