1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

ES File Explorer - App Backups

Last Updated:

1. cmhobbz

cmhobbz Active Member This Topic's Starter

Greetings all! Long time lurker... first time poster...

In preparation for an upcoming firmware update to my Eris, I processed an app backup to my device's sdcard. In doing this, Estrong's File Manager notified me that only 3 of my total applications failed to backup. These 3 applications were:

EasyTether
    LogMeIn
    WeatherBug Elite

Can anybody tell me why these apk files failed to backup to my sdcard? Is there anything that can be done about this?

Thanks for your time!

Advertisement
  2. oceanlight

oceanlight Well-Known Member

dunno, but why do you need to back them up? why not just reinstall the apps? it would only take about a minute...

3. cmhobbz

I guess I don't have a great answer for that. I've just read that most people are backing their apps up with FEX or ASTRO before installing the update. It seems to be a very popular process regardless... and since it is only a backup... I figure it can't hurt in having one around. I just wish I knew why these 3 won't.

4. Roze

Roze Hiding behind a mystery VIP Member

Most likely those apps are set to private/locked so you won't be able to back them up to the microSD card.

Another way is through AppBrain;you have all of the apps on your phone sync there. I have not tried reinstalling from here though, so don't really know how well it'd work.

It's much faster to reinstall 100+ apps from your SD card than one by one from the market again.

cmhobbz likes this.
  5. oceanlight

oceanlight Well-Known Member

i hear ya. but in OP's case, it's only 3.

6. Roze

Roze Hiding behind a mystery VIP Member

I know :p, but your post seemed like there was no point to backing the apps up...but now that I think of it, you might be just refering to those 2 apps, lol.

I just want this confirmed...I read something awhile back that if you buy an app and it's private/lock. When you do a factory reset, you can download the app from the market again without any cost to you since ...it has something to do with the app recognizing you IMEI.

7. cmhobbz

Thanks again for your assistance... but to clarify, I have many apps that backed up just fine. There just happened to be 3 apps out of those many that failed.

8. Crash27

Crash27 Well-Known Member

I have used several to backup my phone, One is MyBackup, and the other is ES File Manager. There are a lot of different apps out there that do backups.

9. funpig

funpig Well-Known Member

Resurrecting old thread. On my galaxy tab 7 plus running 4.1.2, I can no longer backup my paid apps using ES File Explorer. Anybody else have same problem?

I like to back up each appversion to give me the option to roll back to an earlier version if the new version turns out to be bad. (I can still backup on older phone running 2.3)

10. GrouchoM

GrouchoM Well-Known Member

Yup. This is to prevent purchased apps from being passed as apks for free. Most, if not all, backup apps fail to back paid apps up (unless you're rooted).

11. funpig

funpig Well-Known Member

I am not rooted and I was always able to backup everything until my recent update to jelly bean. The thing is I can still backup the same paid apps on my old phone (running 2.3). I was also able to backup the paid apps on the tablet when it was still on honeycomb.

I find backups to be a necessity. Updated apps may not work properly on a particular phone and I have to roll back to an older stable vision.

12. GrouchoM

GrouchoM Well-Known Member

You're preaching to the choir. I discovered this lameness a few months back and both emailed ES as well as posted here.

13. VillageIdiot6710

VillageIdiot6710 Member

Any resolution to this? I am rooted on Droid RAZR Max 4.1.2 and have the same issue with backing up Weatherbug Elite. I have purchased the app and recently installed a ROM on my Maxx and went to reinstall from the market... can't even find Weatherbug Elite. I went back to my Nandroid Backup figuring I'd just make a backup and reinstall but NOOOOOOO... can't do it. Any suggestions? Did Weatherbug Elite go away? Its a paid app that I paid for... did I mention that I paid for it?! Help please.

Randy

14. UKCatFan

UKCatFan Well-Known Member

If I remember correctly they now give all the premium features for free and did away with the paid version. So, you are not going to miss anything with the free version, but will have to deal with ads. I went back to the Weather Channel app about a year ago because it has improved a lot.