• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Esteem vs Connect - a comparison

akikhia

Android Expert
Oct 24, 2011
i have an esteem got the connect a week ago and wanted to leave my input for everyone to know. so i tried all roms and kernels on my esteem and found best combo to be zvd cleaned up and zvd speed kernel. i use tsf shell which is a 55mb ram launcher but so worth it. i used overclocked for a month too.
so i got the connect to see how it is and i really wanted to use 4g while on the phone. i did not realize how much a difference it would be. i was skeptical due to the smaller screen and no hdmi. and quite frankly i was very surprised

the lg connect with its massive ram is excellent at multitasking. it was faster snappier and better than my esteem overall while bloated. the screen is clearly much more vibrant more contrast and very nice colors BETTER than the iphone 4S which my friend has. I am VERY impressed with the phone overall no lag no bugs and no overheating as others have claimed. battery life i would say is 30-40 percent better than the esteem with the exact same setup of apps and all. the difference in screen size was unnoticable and not worthy of mentioning honestly it did not bother me at all and i did not feel a difference. it is also alot nicer in the pocket but i did like the dock with my esteem which i dont have here and i realized i never use my hdmi out to be honest.

so would i reccomend the lg connect? yes i would i am sure you will feel a clear difference ESPECIALLY with the ram difference and 4g while on the phone. im loving it. will keep you updated with what i find. btw i now have it rooted and debloated to a certain extent using just freeze.

i still have the lg esteem and i switch between them occasionally to test some things out on 4g ability but nothing noticable thusfar.

Well, double the RAM wont help a lot of us due to the fact that the little amount of RAM some of use isn't enough to make the device faster by adding the extra RAM. For example, my device at all times will display in Running Services that I am currently utilizing between 60-80MB RAM. Adding the extra 512MB RAM will not speed up my device due to me having so much overhang from the current RAM that I have vs how much I am utilizing. This is a detailed explanation as to why I do not see this as an upgrade to me but this is just IMO and me personally because I do not use a lot of RAM but some people do and depending on how much you DO actually use will determine if this is an upgrade or not. If you use close to 250MB of RAM on the Esteem then this is a very large improvement when adding the extra 512MB from the Connect.

Upvote 0
nice review but 1gb ram and a smaller clearer screen aint really an upgrade lol im waiting for something thats really an upgrade 4.5 inch screen, 1gb ram, dual core or quad core lol

So the screen is the only thing keeping you? Because the connect has a dual core s3. I like my esteem I really do, just trying to be realistic.

The combination of 1gb of ram and a dual core proccesor is what makes the difference in multitasking IMO

Upvote 0
No don't make me tempted ><

Someone talk something bad about Connect, so my mind can be evened out. ;)

The bad is that there are quite a few people complaining about the battery temperature. Go check out the LG Connect section of this forum. That said if this I'd a big issue, it'll eventually get fixed, but I'd rather stay with the Esteem.

The other bad is the screen size. People say that it's not that noticeable and to them it may be true, but for me it is. Try to find one that you can pay with and see if it bothers you. Try things like TapaTalk, browsing, maps, etc.

The other bad is that in terms of apps and most Android use, it's not that much faster than an Esteem that's been overclocked.

The front facing can on the Connect is 0.3mp compared to 1.3mp.

Another reason not to upgrade is that the back is ugly. Isn't it?

The other bad it's that MetroPCS will come out with a better phone than the Connect. The Connect isn't a clear cut winner but the phones released will be.

That said, the connect has some advantages. Dual core is basically 2 CPUs, so 1.2 dual is like 2.4GHz.
Anyone who says they don't need more ram is out of their mind. More ram = less lag and less dependency on these memory tweaks. We don't need it, but we can surely use it.
Internet access while on a phone conversation. Though the Esteem is VoLTE ready, MetroPCS hasn't implemented it yet, so as if right now only the Connect and Attain can access the web while in a phone call because those phones have a diff LTE sim card.
Record videos in higher frames per second. This is directly tied to the processor and memory. The 720p videos on the Esteem have clear picture but choppy framerates (15). The connect will have about double the framerates(30). Your videos will be a lot smoother and look less like you're recording from a phone. This is one of the main reasons for me wanting a dual core.

Personally, I'm satisfied with the Esteem. There are features on the Connect the turn me off. If I had no phone and had to choose today, I'd probably go with the Connect. However, I'm not going to upgrade my phone every 6 months when a new phone comes out, especially a phone that doesn't have all the features I want (mainly the screen and appearance). Also especially because we have great deva here that made me super-satisfied with my Esteem. I just bought an OEM extended battery and I think the esteem should last me close to 2 years. Unless metro gets the Samsung Note or similar phone, or some new useful apps demand me to upgrade my CPU/ram, I'm sticking with my Esteem.

Reactions: akikhia
Upvote 0
well i assure you all that you will be absolutely surprised.
we are struggling with our esteems to get superb performance but quite frankly it is very limited due to mainly the ram especially fir those of us that multitask. the dual core processor is so powerful and i knew that when i was in my car running wifi tether, navigation with gps, and on the phone!!!!! whilemy friend was surfing and watching stuff on his laptop and my other friend on my transformer prime. it never rebooted compared to all other phonesive tried from indulge esteem htc hd2 htc touchpro who all rebooted after a little multitasking with wifi tether on or recieving a call with it on let alone gps and nav AND PHONE CALLL over bluetooth. i will admit it got hot which is normal for any device but nothing else besides that. if thas not impressive nothing is

believe me i thought the connect was a lame excuse for an upgrade but it is uhmaaazingly better than a rooted custom overclocked esteem out of the box. i am very pleased. and screen size difference looks like it would be a problem when comparing side to side but i really saw no difference and i forget sometimes that i have the connect i have yet to feel any difference.

connect all the way baby i cant believe i switched from my esteem but the connect got me. (so far that is)

Upvote 0
go try a connect for a day buy from craigslist thats what i did.

i bought my esteem when it came out for 250 from wirefly now its same price as the connect! a nice thing about metro phones is thay they retain their value on craigslist i can surely sell my esteem for 250 on cl now same with the connect it will retain its value

Upvote 0
well i assure you all that you will be absolutely surprised.
we are struggling with our esteems to get superb performance but quite frankly it is very limited due to mainly the ram especially fir those of us that multitask. the dual core processor is so powerful and i knew that when i was in my car running wifi tether, navigation with gps, and on the phone!!!!! whilemy friend was surfing and watching stuff on his laptop and my other friend on my transformer prime. it never rebooted compared to all other phonesive tried from indulge esteem htc hd2 htc touchpro who all rebooted after a little multitasking with wifi tether on or recieving a call with it on let alone gps and nav AND PHONE CALLL over bluetooth. i will admit it got hot which is normal for any device but nothing else besides that. if thas not impressive nothing is

believe me i thought the connect was a lame excuse for an upgrade but it is uhmaaazingly better than a rooted custom overclocked esteem out of the box. i am very pleased. and screen size difference looks like it would be a problem when comparing side to side but i really saw no difference and i forget sometimes that i have the connect i have yet to feel any difference.

connect all the way baby i cant believe i switched from my esteem but the connect got me. (so far that is)

How is this an all things root subject? Also I have owned just about all the phones you have listed and none of my phones rebooted like you are saying my hd2 was my hotspot for a while cause I was poor and could not afford internet and during the time streaming netflix running 3 computers and playing games on the ps3 it never once rebooted just to be clear about how much I used it but sure it got hot lol. You can try and make the upgrade seem like it was a great choice...good ok, but in all honesty the dual core to me IMO is not worth it my tablet is not that much faster maybe the ram ok, but let's face it even my gfs vibrant has a super amoled and next to the hd2 or the esteem the screen isn't much better compared to the nova screen I'd say its a tie with super amoled. My esteem really wasn't much of an upgrade from the hd2 but I was tired of standing by a window to get reception at my new house and my brother rubbing it in my face he had metro and had 3-4 bars of 4g while I had barely 1 bar of edge. He had the indulge I rooted for him and got his wifi tether up and running and other than battery life the phone was great. Either or when I made the switch to Tmobile the esteem was the best deal at the time and made sense to get that phone. So to me IMO the connect from the esteem makes no sense but hey that's my honest opinion. New phones are coming out soon and I'm sure they will be worth the wait and the money to upgrade from my esteem over the connect. Enjoy your new phone and let us know how it goes with the over heating issues everyone has talked about. My gf is going to be jumping ship from Tmobile as well and for her it would be worth the upgrade from a vibrant to the connect. I'm just a little worried about a 300 dollar phone over heating like that. Lg needs to get their sh*t together. My 2 cents lol. :)

Also requested this be moved to the non root esteem sub-forum as this does not pertain to root for the esteem.;)

Upvote 0
ahahaha well i was beginning to feek discomfort with my esteem after loading tsf shell i mean if i open oprah and go back to tsf shell it has to reload cuz the phone runs out of ram. i have a couple not. apps in the background which also use up mem. so switching to the esteem fixed that. i mean on the esteem fast reboot would clear up 140 mb MAX on my connect it clears up 400 mb!!!! and the phone wasnt even lagging. multitasking all the way.

however i just discovered the overheating issue. its the battery not the phone and i want to blame the battery contacts/terminals. the esteem's terminals were amazing this one is the lame wire and spring bs. tht may cause most of the heat. now what happens is that if the battery overheats and runs out like when running nav and watching netflix since you cant even supply enough power in a car to do that without batt draining the phone would not charge the bat unless you cool it down below room temp. switching to a full battery works and thats what i did anyway with my esteem had 3 batteries in my pocket and 2 extended in my car to be safe haha and had the oem dock that charged all of them and supported the oem extended batt. i am disappointed there is no dock or oem extended for the connect :/

Upvote 0
the batteries get hot because they are using cheaper materials to make them now, li ion doesnt like to be discharged hard unless its c rating is up to the draw. if it were from the tabs/wires, they would get hot, smoke and melt together. smaller battery for a more powerful phone, no bueno

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones