• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Etf question

The ETF is reduced by $10 each month. It starts at $350 (for smart phones) and the $10 is taken off each month you keep your line/service active.
From Verizon:
If you cancel a line of Service, or if we cancel it for good cause, during its contract term, you'll have to pay an Early Termination Fee. If your contract term results from your purchase of an Advanced Device after November 14, 2009, your Early Termination Fee will be $350 minus $10 for each full month of your contract term that you complete.
( Customer Agreement )

Upvote 0
Here is an interesting question regarding ETF's. All along, Google has indicated that with the open android system, most if not all android phones would be able to accept the next upgrade of the OS. This artical says otherwise:

Samsung disappoints 10 million Android customers - Technology & science - Wireless - msnbc.com

I wonder how the providers will respond to those many users that were expecting to get the ICS upgrade and now won't be able to.

The article plainly states that only some of the newest models would be upgradable to ICS. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Upvote 0
Software updates, or lack thereof, have nothing to do with ETF's.
When you sign a contract with Verizon (or anyone) you agree that you will keep that line active for 2 years. That's pretty much it.
Yes please, give me a phone number and I will use it for 2 years or you can charge me a lot of money if I renege.
Nowhere does it say that a phone manufacturer has to keep your phone up to date and to your satisfaction and if they fail to do so you don't have to pay an ETF. Verizon doesn't care if you like the way Samsung does business or if Google seems splintered. They care that you pay your bill and keep that line.

Upvote 0
My comment was meant to open a thought process about unhappy customers who were led to believe that updates would be available. I understand that the ETF makes no such guarantee but wondered what would happen if a lot of people were left with phones less than 8 months with no upgrade path. I for one, would be most upset to have to wait another year to get an upgrade without having to pay the ETF.

Upvote 0
It's by contract end date, not calendar month. If your date is July 15th and you cancel on June 14th it would be 2 months early but if you cancel on June 16th it would only be one month early. If you cancel on July 14th it is still a month early. If you cancel on July 16th you are not subject to the ETF anymore.
Verizon and I never seem to do math the same way though so that could be all wrong. I also think you would owe a minimum of $120 if you do cancel a month early. 350 - 230 = 120. It's not going to be reduced by $240., you either stick it out for 24 months or don't so you would only get 23 months of $10 reductions. I don't think your $110 is right. But again, I'm basing that on my math skills, or lack thereof.

Upvote 0
Here is an interesting question regarding ETF's. All along, Google has indicated that with the open android system, most if not all android phones would be able to accept the next upgrade of the OS. This artical says otherwise:

Samsung disappoints 10 million Android customers - Technology & science - Wireless - msnbc.com

I wonder how the providers will respond to those many users that were expecting to get the ICS upgrade and now won't be able to.

The article plainly states that only some of the newest models would be upgradable to ICS. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Google has only indicated it would support the Google-branded phones for OS upgrade--so the Nexus One, Nexus S and Galaxy Nexus. It's not possible for them to make promises regarding the OEM-crapware and carrier-crapware laden devices. They will support ICS upgrades to the phones with hardware that would support it, and these users would be able to get this by installing a custom ROM (but you must be rooted to do so) but it would be Samsung's decision not to update it's crapware that is preventing these users from upgrading, not a decision by Google.

Hopefully, though no guarantees, this won't be as big a problem with Motorola's high-end Androids, though the carrier also has to update crapware and Verizon is painfully slow in this area, since Moto is owned by Google.

Upvote 0

The key word in your post is "expecting." I could be expecting my Droid X to get ICS since Google said that any phone that can run Gingerbread can run ICS. But Motorola hasn't said anything about an ICS update, and no other manufacturere has made a promise to update to ICS and then backed down. And these updates are dependent on the manufacturere, not Google, unless you have a Nexus phone. Anyways, buy your phone for what it CAN do now, not for what you HOPE iwill do in the future.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones