• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

European Milestone to get 9 home screens in 2.1 update?

nam37

Lurker
Mar 29, 2010
European Milestone gets OTA 2.1 update, Droid update MIA -- Engadget

Motorola Milestone owners, your moment is now. The Android 2.1 update you've been waiting for is now available en masse. Users outside of Hong Kong (which already got served) have received notice that an over-the-air update is available to unlock the nine home-screens, Google Earth, and other goodness that comes along with the latest flavor of Google's mobile OS. When can US-bound Verizon subscribers hope to get their point release of goodness? That, sadly, is still TBD, but we're guessing it'll be any day now.
This is the first time I've heard of the 2.1 update boosting the number of home screens (my number 1 request).

Are we getting this on our US models (Droids)?

I would assume that our firmware will have similar features. We have lots of spotty and incomplete reports of features. We can't assume that the tiny list on the one page Verizon pdf if all the improvements they've included. Its likely they only highlighted those they deemed most noteworthy. We might be surprised.

Upvote 0
3 screens ... 5 screens ... 9 screens ... who cares? If you can't truly customize them! :thinking:

I use Sweeter Home Preview 2 and have 12 customized portrait screens (actually more), and 3 customized landscape screens (for my car dock). That is a total of 15 screens!!! And I don't have to scroll thru a bunch of screens to get to any of them. Every one of them is just a swipe, or a swipe & tap away.

STOP relying on the stock homescreen app. It will NEVER compare to the customization abilities of third party apps. By this summer, I fully expect even cooler home-replacement apps to be released and I'll be leaving Sweeter Home at that time.

Upvote 0
3, 5, 7... this 9 thing is new i think. i totally agree joe BUT havent taken the plunge because my Helix 7 screener run nearly flawless. last time i looked SW2 looked kinda barbaric to me so some strange reason. buuuuuuut it has been quite some time since i gave er a look-see. you have any screen shots to push me that final bit to make me take a plunge??

Upvote 0
STOP relying on the stock homescreen app. It will NEVER compare to the customization abilities of third party apps.

I agree but third party apps will NEVER compare to the speed performance of the built in homescreen app.

That is really my biggest problem with the 3rd party apps, they are slooooooow. I have been using helix for the past week and is still fast but today has been a slow day. I am hoping it doesn't continue. I have tried almost all of the 3rd party apps, they all start out fast and then get slow.

I don't need the customization. I need 5 screens and works fast. The 2.1 looks perfect however the rumors of Droid only getting 3 screens make me worrisome.

Upvote 0
I agree but third party apps will NEVER compare to the speed performance of the built in homescreen app.

That is really my biggest problem with the 3rd party apps, they are slooooooow. I have been using helix for the past week and is still fast but today has been a slow day. I am hoping it doesn't continue. I have tried almost all of the 3rd party apps, they all start out fast and then get slow.

I'm running the latest version of the Sweeter Home 2 beta (eclair-771), which is completely customized to have maximum functionality for my needs (about 18 screens within a tap or swipe away), organized exactly how I want them, and an uncluttered main home screen. I'm on a 2.1 ROM (in my sig) and it's now faster to load and switch screens than it was with the 3-screen stock launcher on my stock 2.0.1 ROM. There's NO lag at all and I'm not seeing any FCs.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones