Evaluating a Phone

Last Updated:

1. Benrx

Benrx Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

The contract for my Eris is finally up in about a month. I've been looking at everyone's comments here and am interested in the Fascinate. So I went into the Verizon store today, fired one up, and thought, Now what do I do?

Seemed fast. Screen was nice. I felt like I should be testing some app or running some program to tell me if I would like it. Someone had already installed Google maps. I was trying to think back to posts I had read and drew a blank.

My question is, what do you people that go in and look at these phones and try them out do? I don't want to spend an hour with a phone. Just give me a couple -four things that would help me evaluate a phone and find things I like or dislike.

BTW: I did think about the blue screen issue and this one actually had it. Looked like someone had set up their own blue theme.

Thanks in advance

Advertisement
  2. mkzbdroid

mkzbdroid Banned

first I looked for touch response, second I pull up youtube and click a video using high quality settings. I use youtube HQ as a benchmark for performance with the expected 2.2 update that includes flash, and although it is not flash that is playing, it is a very labor intensive app that will draw on the full system. third I look to the keyboard, both in portrait and landscape to make sure the keys are easy to use and they are responsive and accurate...fourth I consider overall form factor: this includes size, weight, and lines. I'm more of a minimalist so .3 of an inch actually appeals to me over the X. Camera if you plan on taking multiple photos....but 5 mp is quite enough compared to 8 which I think is just overkill....any of these categories I consider a deal breaker...

3. xliderider

xliderider Well-Known Member

Definitely make a test call and evaluate how the audio quality sounds, ask the person you called how you sound on their end as well. A good test is if you're in a noisy area to see if the person can hear you over the background sounds.

4. saps

saps Well-Known Member

I test everything I can. I got mine in store on launch day after testing the floor model out for 30-40 minutes. I did everything the guys above did and more. On the one hand you cannot learn everything in 30-40 minutes but on the other hand you dont just wanna make an under-informed decision either

5. tjbugs1

tjbugs1 Well-Known Member

For me its the camera that I test first. Then the screen by opening some hi-res photos using the browser. Last is the keyboard.