• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

EVE Online

Okay. Started my trial account. I did all of the tutorial "career agents", and now sort of stuck on what to do next?

I tried going to a neighboring system and doing a L1 mission and got my ship destroyed :(

I'm not the one for battle and more interested in mining/manufacturing/industry. Any suggestions on where to go, what to do next?

Upvote 0
lol.. in 2 weeks I can fly an assault frigate.. :p Mechanic to 5 and caldari frigate to 5.. >.<

Eww Caldari assault frigates? Go for Minmatar instead!

Last night was a blast. Someone can flipped our corp, so we had full corp aggro on a Drake. We all warped in with our Hurricanes and Rifters, a Tempest, and an Orca. Corp aggro ran out as soon as we got there but one of our Rifters tackled him so he was the only one still able to shoot. The Rifter got the Drake to half shields, then I hot swapped him to my Hurricane and popped him in about three volleys.

Tear Extraction And Reclamation Service Killboard - Kill details

All the while, another Drake showed up and flipped another can we had dropped, and was murdered in about 5 seconds.

Then a random Myrmidon warped in who was somehow red to us:

(Don't ask me on the fit, the guy might as well have just self-destructed)

Then commence a ton of smack talking from the losers in local about how we should meet them in null sec and how they would give us a fair fight out there (riiiiiiight). We're considering taking up their offer, but we would show up in a full fleet of Stealth Bombers.

Afterwards, we had a taste for blood, so we ganked a couple miners who have a grudge against us:

All in all, a great time. Playing dirty? Definitely, but never expect a fair fight in Eve, or that you're safe anywhere. :)

Upvote 0
Signed up for a trial on this recommendation. Downloading now.
Any beginner advice is appreciated. Especially to wipe out the teachings of playing WoW for years. ;)

The most important thing is to find a good corporation with nice people that help eachother out when you start out. Don't enter lowsec space too early, and SPECIALIZE rather than try to do everything. It takes a VERY long time to become good at all ship types, specialize in one or two types (like frigs>interceptors and cruisers>hacs).

Jack of all trades loose...at least when you start out. You can always branch out once you're good at one thing.

Reactions: Prim8
Upvote 0
Does race matter? Can I use other races ships when I advance?
Is there somewhere online I can read some of this stuff or should I just create something and jump into the tutorials?

You can train to fly any ship, but your starting race gives you a few skills towards your racial ships. Minmatar specializes in close range autocannons and extremely high power artillery, which is AWESOME for PvP and can be pretty easily adapted for PvE. Gallente specializes in drones which are basically tiny ships you control from your ship. Caldari specializes in railguns and missiles which are long range but they really don't have that great of ships for PvP. Amarr specializes in lasers.

Personally, I would start with Minmatar because their ships have the highest base speed and they do some incredible damage with their weapons which is awesome for PvP later on. I would train up salvaging and astrometrics right off the bat so you can ninja salvage and make some great isk right away. You will get these skillbooks through doing the tutorial missions or by buying them from the market.

Also, everything said above is great advice. Decide what you want to fly, and specialize in it. If you only train the minimum skills for a ship, you are not going to fly it well at all. Also, FIND A CORP! Flying with people who can teach you, help you, and socialize with you makes this game a blast. I fly with Suddenly Ninjas, and if you would be interested in learning about what we do, join "The Ninja Alliance" channel in game.

Personally, I love frigates. They're cheap, fast, and can put out some great damage for being so small. They also do the job of "tackling", which is getting up next to a ship and scrambling it and slowing it down so it can't get away while the big ships get within range to shoot. I am currently training for stealth bombers which can warp while cloaked and can drop bombs and torpedoes which do incredible amounts of damage in one shot. However, any basic frigate can kill one in about two shots.

If you would like a longer trial, you can PM me your email address and I will invite you to a 21 day trial. You will have to make your character again, but you get another full week of playtime before you have to commit to anything. That should give you enough time to see if you want to keep playing or not.

Reactions: Prim8
Upvote 0
Another night, and we absolutely painted the walls with blood.

A corpmate ganked this miner two nights ago:

This apparently made his friends angry, so one of them offered a fair 1v1 fight, typed in all caps, using two battlecruisers. My corp mate agreed, and showed up in a PVP fit Hurricane. Our friend showed up in a Drake with neuts. Little did he know that autocannons can still fire without capacitor.

So, he basically flushed 40 million or so down the drain right there. What does he do? He comes back in ANOTHER fail-fitted Drake with a friend this time, and tries to attack me and a buddy in our little frigates. They both ended up getting concorded, therefore flushing another 80 million or so.

Apparently these noobs have no idea how aggro mechanics work in this game. All in all, it definitely provided some hilarity. :D

Next, a mining cruiser shot at us, and was quickly reduced to space dust.

A Rifter decided to come play:

Then an Imicus stole some of our loot:

We had a bit of slow time at this point, enjoying our kills thus far. Then this failure of a Thrasher thought he could take on our puny little frigates:

And to top it all off at the end of the night, this industrial ship flipped my can and provided me with some nice income.

I LOVE this game! :D

Reactions: Pryomancer
Upvote 0
Tonight, an Orca thought it would be a good idea to flip one of our cans into it's cargohold. He must have very quickly clicked "yes" when it asked him "Are you sure you want to take this? This entire corp will be able to kill you." He must not realize that it takes almost 30 seconds to align an Orca and warp away.

This was a $450,000,000 mistake:

Suddenly Ninjas Killboard - Kill details

Next, we came across a miner who was using an unsecured container to mine ore into. My corpmate quickly flipped the can into a secure container, and the miner decided to engage. Once the miner was beginning to flame and was half way though hull hitpoints, she began raging in local and yelling expletives at us. Not only did this just fire us up even more, it even earned her corp a war declaration from someone else passing through the system.

I sent her a citation for her reckless jetcan mining:

TEARS Citation #50784B Use of Unlicensed Jetcan; 1 Offense
Sent: 2010.09.11 05:32
To: Aubrey Oceansong, Serannus Starr

Dear Aubrey Oceansong,

This citation is a direct result of the use of an unlicensed jetcan in CONCORD space. As the authorized TEARS agent in the sector, I confiscated and impounded 2,390 m3 of Scordite valued at roughly 170 thousand ISK that had been left floating in a municipal asteroid belt / warplane. This ore was transferred into one licensed TEARS container awaiting pickup, but has since been destroyed as of 05:32 EVE standard time. Please see the attached citation for the fine due and instructions for remittance. Thank you.

Questions, comments, or complaints may be submitted to subgroup commander Aiden Mourn

Kyle Shephard, Sinq Laison Region TEARS Representative

FORM #46183.A-C93 UNREGISTERED JETCAN CITATION
Issued by: TEAR EXTRACTION AND RECLAMATION SERVICE

Sector ID: 486BFG88499HG-3345-588FN
Jetcan Inventory: See Misc/Ref. Lading Log #6587-15

Operatives of TEARS Alliance, Subgroup: Suddenly Ninjas [YOINK] have issued a member of your Corporation a Citation for Failure to Properly Register an Unsecured Jetcan Residing in a Municipal Asteroid Belt per EDEN Municipal Code #46183.A in 0.8 System: Vylade

Parties In Violation:
Aubrey Oceansong

Infraction of EDEN Municipal Code #46183.A can incur a fine of up to 500,000.00 ISK, authorized destruction of vessel and resulting wreck salvage fees, not to exceed 20,000.00 ISK.

Registration Fee .................................................. 250,000 ISK
Astrogation LIDAR Omission Penalty ............................... 150,000 ISK
Debris Handling Fee................................................................. 50.000 ISK
Disposal Fee ..................................................................... 15,000 ISK
TEARS Licensed Destructable Jetcan x1..................................100,000 ISK
TEARS Officer Ammunition.................................................200,000 ISK
Fraternal Order of Salvagers Union Fund Contribution ... 5,500 ISK

Total Assessment: 745,000 ISK

Please Remit Funds to TEARS - Spacelane Sanitation Division
Authorized Representative or your nearest TEARS Alliance Officer.
Failure to submit payment on this citation may prompt additional TEARS action and requisite sanctions.

To which she replied:

Hi, Kyle --

As we both know that your "citation" is complete and utter bullshit; and as we both know that you griefed and destroyed my Retriever while I was simply mining and minding my own business; please allow me to respond:

(1) Since you copied my Corp leader on this message, I have done the same. I suppose time will tell whether that was an intelligent move on your part or not.

(2) Congrats on the little fiefdom that you have set up in Vylade. You sure seem to have a cushy racket going on -- your pretensions to authority are especially cute and funny.

(3) (This is where I supect I will lose your short attention span) All that said, you and I both know that I was just minding my own business, and I guess I was unlucky enough to wander into your little playground. My bad. But what did you really accomplish tonight? I. for one, just got much closer to cancelling my subcription to EVE -- because, frankly, I came here to have fun, and litlle shits like yourself really can put an end to that, you know?

(4) (This is where I tell you what I really think) Still with me, you stupid ******ed piece of idiocy? I hope so. See, I want you to understand that, to the rest of the world (hell, even the EVE world), your tiny pretentions are just pathetic. OOH, I've gotten a "citiation" for an "unlicensed jetcan"!!! Really? Is that what you and your inbred friends could come up with? Lame, lame, lame -- but have fun with it, as I saw tonight that you and your group of mouth-breathing ******s get off on it. I mean, really? Ambushing miners and trying to make them a part of your utter-geek Thunderdome? Damn, dude, you really need to get out more.

So, Kyle, you killed me. Awesome job, dude -- you blew up a miner in high sec. Congrats. Hell, you might also have just caused me to quit the game, since I'm tired of dealing with shits like you and your little inbreeders -- was that what you intended? If so, congrats again -- but you're going to run short on sheep to shear if you keep it up.

If you ever want to meet MY friends, come on out to low-sec space and they might say hi. Otherwise, have fun in your little fantasy world, keep issuing your "citations," and keep on being what you fundamentally are -- a big, ****ing, stupid idiot piece of shit bully.

Oh, and just in case you didn't hear me tonight when I rejected your blackmail demand at the cost of my ship: **** YOU.

Aubrey

She's a feisty one.

Next, we had yet ANOTHER Drake decide to flip one of our cans, but I was off selling some modules in Jita, so I had to sit and watch once I got back. This battle was ridiculous. My corpmate from above was engaging the Drake in his Rifter, while getting remote armor repair from another member of our corp. The Rifter managed to burn out two of it's three guns while they were being overloaded, and was left just plinking away with one little autocannon. We did eventually finish the Drake off, but it took almost an hour of fighting:

Apparently this did not sit well with his friend, though, who warped in with a Hurricane only to get blown to shit by Concord since he did not have kill rights on us.

And honestly, who is their right mind flies a mining battlecruiser into a PvP fight? Concord did Eve a great service today by blowing this ship up.

To end the night, I found another miner using an unsecured jetcan. I flipped it, and he angrily warped off to station, so I stuck around waiting to see if he came back in a big ship . He eventually did come back, in the same ship (aptly named "ME YOU DEAD"), but he replaced the mining lasers with guns that the ship does not get bonuses to, and of all mis-matched sizes and versions. This ship is specifically suited for anti-frigate work, so I expected to get popped, but I wanted to fight anyway. Well, once he finally engaged, I turned on my autocannons, web, scrambler, and as I was going for my cap neutralizer, I looked up and he was already halfway through structure.

Needless to say, he went pop:

This is the best week I have ever had in Eve. :D

Upvote 0
Played for almost two years and then quit just as they were adding stations.

Was kinda fun upto that point but then just got a bit silly, theres no real skill involved in progression, just a a little bit of knowledge is all you need and so long as you login and skill thats it.

So tip for new players, do some missions for about a month or so, earn isk then stop when your in a BS, all you need to do beyond this point in login and change skill training.

Do this for about 2-3 years, then start playing, might be fun then.

Upvote 0
Played for almost two years and then quit just as they were adding stations.

Was kinda fun upto that point but then just got a bit silly, theres no real skill involved in progression, just a a little bit of knowledge is all you need and so long as you login and skill thats it.

So tip for new players, do some missions for about a month or so, earn isk then stop when your in a BS, all you need to do beyond this point in login and change skill training.

Do this for about 2-3 years, then start playing, might be fun then.

Trying to fly a BS after a month is moronic. You don't have any support skills for it. After a month you should be flying a frigate and nothing more.

Then again, the people that try to fly a BS and run missions after playing only a month are the kind of people I like to shred in my Hurricane.

Upvote 0
Trying to fly a BS after a month is moronic. You don't have any support skills for it. After a month you should be flying a frigate and nothing more.

Then again, the people that try to fly a BS and run missions after playing only a month are the kind of people I like to shred in my Hurricane.

After 1.5 months I was in a Raven soloing L4 missions, so it's not impossible to do. :) That way I am able to play for free while training mechanic and frigate to 5 (2 weeks) for an assault frigate.

Upvote 0
After 1.5 months I was in a Raven soloing L4 missions, so it's not impossible to do. :) That way I am able to play for free while training mechanic and frigate to 5 (2 weeks) for an assault frigate.

Oh it's definitely possible if that's what you want to do, and being able to afford a PLEX is nice. Maybe it's just my style of play that disagrees with it. I love the PvP aspect of the game rather than the mind-numbing missions that you can practically go AFK and still finish. All IMO of course. Some people have fun mining all day!

A good idea with a new character is to use the training bonuses to train up learning skills, and use EveMon for suggestions on neural remaps to set up all your attributes for what you want to do right off the bat. Using this method I shaved an entire month of training time off of flying a fully fitted max DPS stealth bomber on my alt.

Upvote 0
All kinda depends if you wanna go the PVP or PVE route. In terms of races, those are roughly what they specialize in:

1) Gallente: Short range damage (sickest damage in game)
2) Minmatar: Speed/agility
3) Caldari: Missiles/Rockets and good tanks
4) Amarr: Amazing tanks, lasers

I got 2 chars, one fully Gallente spec'ed. But it's not perfect for solo-roaming or small gangs unless you fly a Taranis. My other char is Minmatar spec'ed, and for solo and small gang roaming I couldn't imagine a better race. The Dramiel, Cynabal, and Loki are currently my favorite ships...and the Vaga. If I had to pick one until the end of EVE, it would be the Dramiel :D

Upvote 0
All kinda depends if you wanna go the PVP or PVE route. In terms of races, those are roughly what they specialize in:

1) Gallente: Short range damage (sickest damage in game)
2) Minmatar: Speed/agility
3) Caldari: Missiles/Rockets and good tanks
4) Amarr: Amazing tanks, lasers

I got 2 chars, one fully Gallente spec'ed. But it's not perfect for solo-roaming or small gangs unless you fly a Taranis. My other char is Minmatar spec'ed, and for solo and small gang roaming I couldn't imagine a better race. The Dramiel, Cynabal, and Loki are currently my favorite ships...and the Vaga. If I had to pick one until the end of EVE, it would be the Dramiel :D

I LOVE the Dramiel, but I get into such ridiculous fights with my frigates that I would hate to lose it. I'll keep flying Rifters for now. Next I'm considering training up for an Ishkur. That ship is just stupidly powerful, and a lot cheaper to lose than a Dramiel. :p

Upvote 0
You can run away from 99% of situations in a Dramiel if you're a good pilot...and I'm pretty sure I could take most frig-sized ships in it. It's also a Vaga/Zealot killer :D

Setup:

2x150mmII, small Gremlin neutralizer
Coreli MWD, Cold-gas AB, med shield extender, TS scrambler
MicAux powercore, gyro II, internal force field

Core defense rig, aux thruster rig, projectile burst rig

Drones: Hobgoblins & Warriors

Circle gatecamps at 100km, try to split up their inties a bit and pick 'em off one after the other. Against vagas, try to orbit at around 2-3km/s with the AB on, he won't be able to hit you at all. Use your drones and guns to take out his drones first, then just grind him down. Works great against Zealots too, just be careful of neutrlizers. You'll still go 1.2km/s+ while webbed if you use the afterburner (which is why you fit an mwd/ab BOTH at the same time).

Just don't get too cocky in it just because after a while you realize you can get away most of the time ;)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones