• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Even though stocks, Facebook, and others are set to NEVER sync...

Jaldy

Jul 20, 2010
...They are always loading.

I updated to Froyo, and I've noticed a significant decrease in battery life, whereas prior to updating to 2.2, I could go upwards 30 hours before charging (I'm a very light user, 20 SMS, 30 minutes of talk, Facebook once or twice a day for 10 minutes or so each time), and now I lose a full charge after about 7 hours.

I just got done reading the Task Killer thread, and will consider not installing one next time I do a factory reset...however, I noticed that Facebook keeps opening itself over, and over, and over again, along with Weather, Stocks, and some others--those of which I have disabled in the sync settings.

I'll follow the How To Fix Froyo thread and see if it helps at all. Question in short: is there any way to permanently remove Stocks and things I never use? Maybe I'm just being too paranoid? Thoughts?

Thanks!

I made it 9 hours before my phone warned me it was below 10%, and I didn't make a single phone call today, and only sent two text messages. I did not browse the Internet AT ALL, use Facebook AT ALL, it just sat asleep the whole day.

All the sync settings are off, including background data (unless I need to browse the market), Facebook is set never to update...

This is bothersome :(

Wish I could go back to the other version somehow...

I also did not install any app killer, either.

Upvote 0
Stocks and News shouldn't ever show up as a running task if you've disabled their syncing.

Sprint crapware and other system apps do pop up. Whether or not they contribute to significant battery drain is questionable, but they are definitely annoying. Unfortunately, you can't remove them unless you fully root your phone.

I was only able to solve my 2.2 horribly battery drain by wiping, and reinstalling all my apps, and reconfiguring all my settings from scratch. I did restore my user data tho: contacts, call/sms logs, etc.

Upvote 0
...They are always loading.

I updated to Froyo, and I've noticed a significant decrease in battery life, whereas prior to updating to 2.2, I could go upwards 30 hours before charging (I'm a very light user, 20 SMS, 30 minutes of talk, Facebook once or twice a day for 10 minutes or so each time), and now I lose a full charge after about 7 hours.

I just got done reading the Task Killer thread, and will consider not installing one next time I do a factory reset...however, I noticed that Facebook keeps opening itself over, and over, and over again, along with Weather, Stocks, and some others--those of which I have disabled in the sync settings.

I'll follow the How To Fix Froyo thread and see if it helps at all. Question in short: is there any way to permanently remove Stocks and things I never use? Maybe I'm just being too paranoid? Thoughts?

Thanks!

I'm having the exact same problem. Before the update, I could easily go a full day, sometimes 2 full days with light usage. After, I cant make it 8 hours, even without using the phone at all. What sucks is if you go to settings and see the battery usage, it wont show anything other than android system and cell standby. I also have done a hard reset, and it didnt help.

Upvote 0
As soon as I was done posting the OP, I went to that thread and followed every step exactly, even switching the PRL modes and updating my profile...

Anyhoo...

I'm awake, and it has been 6 hours 11 minutes since I unplugged my phone, and I have 100% of battery life left. (Though of course I am sure it's somewhere between 90-100 :p)

Though I am sure we all know that the data is what is really sapping the battery life, but what in fact changed from 2.1 to 2.2 that would be constantly accessing data? I'll keep track of my phone calls and SMS/MMS and report back before my phone dies today.

edit: In case people reading this didn't come from the Froyo thread...I have no app killer installed, and according to the Running tab under Applications -> Manage applications, there are over 70 applications currently *running* -- though they may not be constantly accessing resources, that is how many are actually running.

This kind of defeats the assumption that task killing helps improve battery life...but it probably has something to do with those applications being unable to access data with the network turned off.

Fishy indeed.

Upvote 0
The HTC widgets and social networking apps often access the network - these guys never release just a simple change list of what they've really done and it's indeed frustrating. Hard to track down what's babbling on the net from a misconfiguration and what's changed in intended behavior.

Keep the faith on group help - more people read these exchanges than you'd suspect. ;)

Our overall goal is acceptable, expected performance without a task killer.

I'd look at an automated task killer as something that you do to deal with the junkware babbling when it can be controlled no other way, as a prelude to rooting where you can finally eradicate that stuff. (For example, I should think that the Amazon MP3 Store, NASCAR, the NFL, Facebook and Twitter apps should all be user-choice for installation - just because some huge percentage of this group or that group might like those apps doesn't mean they should be forced on to everyone.)

BTW - SystemPanel Lite is the free, entry version of a tool (see the Market) that may show you some things of interest - and if you're really interested in drilling down and investing your network behavior, the for-pay version lets you perform history tracking of that.

Upvote 0
Our overall goal is acceptable, expected performance without a task killer.

I'd look at an automated task killer as something that you do to deal with the junkware babbling when it can be controlled no other way, as a prelude to rooting where you can finally eradicate that stuff. (For example, I should think that the Amazon MP3 Store, NASCAR, the NFL, Facebook and Twitter apps should all be user-choice for installation - just because some huge percentage of this group or that group might like those apps doesn't mean they should be forced on to everyone.)

EarlyMon, do you suggest a taskkiller for this Sprint junk or is that NOT what you are suggesting here?? Instead just still saying NO task killer...even if you set it to only control junkware??

Upvote 0
The HTC widgets and social networking apps often access the network - these guys never release just a simple change list of what they've really done and it's indeed frustrating. Hard to track down what's babbling on the net from a misconfiguration and what's changed in intended behavior.

BTW - SystemPanel Lite is the free, entry version of a tool (see the Market) that may show you some things of interest - and if you're really interested in drilling down and investing your network behavior, the for-pay version lets you perform history tracking of that.

Advanced Task Killer has an ignore function, and has an auto-kill timer of either every time you turn off your screen, 30 minutes, 1 hour, et al. I usually set it to ignore Voicemail, Phone Dialer, all the services that run often on a telephone, but I decided to stop using it after this reset to see if my phone was actually being sapped by just the programs being open, but with this latest test I am performing, it does not seem to be the case.

While I am aware that the widgets and services use up a lot of battery power to transmit data, I am baffled by the fact that even though sync is turned off for Facebook, News, and Stocks, those programs keep opening themselves up.

Is there some kind of CPU/Data tracker application that can sort by data used in X period of time? That would REALLY help track down the battery waster since 2.2.

Upvote 0
As of right now:

Since the last report at 7 hours 1 minute:

- Voice call - 59 seconds
- Voice call - 1 minute 57 seconds
- Voice call - 1 minute 34 seconds

- Sent 9 SMS
- Received 8 SMS

With 13 hours 18 minutes since unplugging my phone last night, there is still 90% battery life remaining as of this post. There are now 62 applications opened (seems I miscounted in my previous count).

Items in bold are things I never use/never want to use
-----------------------------------------------------------
1. Amazon MP3 (444kb)
2. Android System (0.00 bytes however)
3. Calendar
4. Calendar Storage
5. Clock
6. com.android.something (0.00 bytes)
7. com.android.users.something (0.00 bytes)
8. com.htc.dcs.service.stock
9. com.htc.provider.settings
10. com.htc.socialnetwork.something
11. com.smithmicro.dm
12. Contacts Storage
13. Customization Settings something
14. Customization Setup
15. DCS Utility Component
16. Dialer
17. Dialer Storage
18. Download Manager
19. DRM Protected Content something
20. EPST
21. Facebook (2.17MB)
22. Facebook for HTC Sense (8KB)
23. Flashlight (0.00 bytes)
24. Flickr
25. FM Radio (0.00 bytes)
26. Footprints
27. Friend Stream (0.00)
28. Google Search
29. Google Services Framework
30. HTC Checkin Service
31. HTC DM
32. HTC IQAgent (0.00 bytes)
33. HTC Media Uploader
34. HTC Sense (in the sense that I have weather sync turned off)
35. HTC Weather sync provider
36. Internet
37. Mail
38. Media Storage
39. Messages
40. NASCAR
41. News
42. Open Sense Plugin Manager
43. PC Synchronization
44. Peep
45. People
46. People
47. Qik
48. Ringtone Trimmer (0.00b) (I use Audacity to trim my ringtones)
49. RSS Reader
50. Scripture A Day
51. Settings
52. Settings Storage
53. Setup
54. Solitaire
55. Sprint Navigation
56. Stocks
57. Talk
58. Touch Input
59. Updater
60. Upgrade Setup
61. Voicemail
62. Weather Provider

Upvote 0
I know this is monotonous, but just since I am here:

I am now sitting at 80% battery life after recording one 10 second video of my son at the highest resolution available, sending and receiving 1 SMS each.

New applications on the list:

Camera
Gallery

Applications no longer on the list:

Open Sense Plugin Manager

13 hours 37 minutes since last unplugged.

Upvote 0
EarlyMon, do you suggest a taskkiller for this Sprint junk or is that NOT what you are suggesting here?? Instead just still saying NO task killer...even if you set it to only control junkware??

My intention was to be consistent with the How-to 1st post -

* Avoid a task killer like crazy

* Don't worry about number of apps

* If an app becomes a runaway _CONSUMING critical RESOURCES_ and you cannot uninstall it - or control it in any other way (and the junkware is the only class of this left that I can think of) - then perhaps consider a task killer.

My bad for being unclear earlier - sorry.

Upvote 0
Jaldy - I'm confused - it looks like your battery life is acceptable to you without a task killer - please clarify the question, many thanks in advace.

Here's a little timeline:

I got my Evo on July 23rd. I was told up and down by sales personnell, friends, and family that I needed to get a task killer in order to fully enjoy my Evo...since out of the stock box, they only typically last 4-6 hours on a single charge. First thing I did was download an app killer.

About a week goes by, and I visit these forums: I learn about unsyncing things I don't use, like News, Stocks, GMail, FriendStream/Facebook, etc...so I disable all sync, including weather, because I didn't need to know the weather *all the time*, so I set it to never sync, and refreshed it manually when needed.

I was easily getting 26+ hours out of my phone, even with moderate data use and probably an hour of talking each day.

I hear 2.2 is about to come out, so I force it on my phone despite Sense not being released. All the same settings as before, radios off unless needed (wi-fi, 4g, GPS, etc.), all sync is disabled...but my phone easily goes from 26+ hours to only 7+ hours. This goes on for 2 days or so, and I get sick of it. I also noticed that using the app killer, all the applications I force-killed would re-populate back into the list after 30 seconds...all of them, even the ones I have sync disabled on.

I come back to these forums and visit your Froyo thread.

I had read all the articles you linked about how app killers are bad for the Android OS, and to get rid of them... So, I decided it was time to factory reset. I followed your steps to the T, but I was still only getting 9 hours or so after the factory reset, with all the settings I had set in 2.1

I figured 2.2 was the culprit, but I wasn't sure if it was all the applications in the background making the CPU work harder, thus depleting my battery...And since I left the app killer OFF my phone after the reset, I am running these battery life tests right now, to prove that applications aren't making the CPU work harder, it's the data requirements for the applications.

Is that a little more clear?

Upvote 0
Report before I go to bed:

No new activity, no calls, no texts, etc.

Still remaining at 80% battery life at 23 hours 31 minutes.

So what exactly did you do to get your battery life back? i read that fix thread, and all i got out of it was to do a hard reset, which i already did.

I haven't done anything but render my phone completely useless as an Internet/entertainment device. It works great as a phonephone, or a text phone...

I turned off Internet access on my phone all together. I want to see how long this runs for. Once I am finished with this test, I will do a test with Internet turned on without an app killer, and Internet turned on with an app killer.

Hopefully by then, somebody will have figured out a way to keep these things from running despite the sync being turned off. Otherwise, I'm hoping that all this testing I am doing is worth it to somebody.

Upvote 0
i just downloaded an app called 3g only from the market that is supposed to disable background data xfer. im gonna test it out and see how it does and report back tomorrow. right now i am listening to last.fm and the screen is asleep - so it hasnt interrupted that.

the app sucked. it didnt stop FB from randomly updating even though i have my sync turned off.

2yux2wy.jpg

2s93y2g.jpg

Upvote 0
Whew. That was a long couple of days!

I went back to work on Tuesday, but had no time to report about this until this morning. I'm sure you're all waiting for it! .... hah.

Anyhoo, since the last report:

Currently sitting at 50% battery life at 2 days, 7 hours since last plugged in.

Voice call - 2:28
Voice call - 5:05
Voice call - :20
Voice call - 2:03
10 minute Solitaire session!
Voice call - 11:49
Voice call - 2:21
Voice call - :40
Voice call - :32
Voice call - 3:35
Voice call - 5:55
Voice call - 1:00
Voice call - 5:05
Voice call - 2:13

4 SMS Sent, 7 SMS received

I should already be convinced, but I am going to run this test until the battery drains completely...then work on the other tests!

Upvote 0
Here is my final report on my phone, since it is on the verge of dying as I post this:

Total time since last unplugged: 3d 21h 30m
Time without a signal: 10%
Total voice calls: 1h 13m 11s
Total display time: 2h 28m 53s

Consider that a phone like this with only cell radio running should have approximately 8 days of standby time, 4-5 hours of talk--my 1 hour of talk effectively shaved off an entire 2 days, or so.

My next test would be to fully charge the phone, install an app killer (with a 30 minute kill time), turn all the stock 2.2 settings/features enabled, and see how long it takes to drain the battery. This test won't take 4 days to do.

The test after that would be to fully charge the phone, and not install an app killer, with stock 2.2 settings/features enabled, and see how long it takes the drain the battery.

I don't know how this information will help anyone, except maybe to prove that app killers may save battery life, with the exception of possibly harming the android system.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones