Events with duplicate iCalendar UIDs don't sync as expectedSupport

Last Updated:

1. PondScum

PondScum New Member This Topic's Starter

I sync my phone calendar with an MS Exchange server. This generally works, but I notice that one particular type of event does not sync correctly. These entries are iCalendar entries I download from Southwest.com for round-trip flights, and enter into Outlook on my PC. While both flights appear correctly in Outlook, on the phone what happens is I only get the outbound flight, or inbound flight, but not both flights.

I took a look inside the .ics files that are downloaded and notice that both flights have identical values for the UID field - the confirmation number of the flight is used. I thought maybe the duplicate UIDs were confusing the phone calendar, so as an experiment, I made them unique, and then entered them into Outlook. When the phone synced, it picked up both flights of the trip and they appeared correctly in the calendar. So my guess is that the Droid calendar thinks events with the same UID are the same event, and only allows one of them, and changing the UID of one of the flights enabled both of them to appear in the calendar.

Since the behavior of Outlook when faced with duplicate UIDs (but no SEQUENCE number) is to treat them as separate events, and not have one supersede the other, it seems like the Droid should do the same.

Does anyone know definitively if this is a calendar bug, or is it a problem with how Southwest.com generates iCalendar entries?

Advertisement