• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Ever wonder why iPhone screen of 2007 is still the best in the industry in 2010?

And I wonder how much of that is software driven. The paint program has to resolve, in the case of continuous touch, where it considers the line to be at any given time. Perhaps the respective paint programs aren't the same in their method of resolving what little "spot" of the bigger touch will be the line at any moment in time.

I tried a similar line on my Dolphin browser's gesture control and the line wasn't nearly as wavy as it was on a paint program I had.

Upvote 0
This is particular true when it comes to the device's desire to detect changes in direction. It could be argued that, depending on the application, the more "sensitive" will detect minute changes in direction of a drag, and express those by anticipating that the desired direction of wipe is intended to go in the direction the finger heads. After all, this involves some type of algorithm to determine what smaller spot on the larger finger pad is intended by the user as the "touch."

So one could just as easily argue, based on the limited information we have, that the Android screens more accurately picked up and expressed a minute change in direction by the finger, while the iPhone didn't.

It seems like it would be software-driven. The finger pad is bigger than that draw spot, and it is moving.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones