• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Evernote: An Extension of Your Brain...Now on Android!

angermeans

Mar 30, 2010
Android Application: Evernote
Developer: Evernote Corp.
Application's Cost: FREE!!!
Developer's Web Page: http://www.evernote.com
Mobile Webpage: http://www.m.evernote.com

What is Evernote?

Evernote helps you to remember all the important things that happen in your life. It allows you to record all your ideas, notes, places, and all the things you want to remember then it organizes them into one list that you can access while on the web from all your web connected devices. The best part about Evernote is that it is FREE! Your information lives in the cloud and you are able to access them wherever you may be as long as you have access to the world wide web. Whether you are at home, on your PC, at work, or on the go with your internet connected smartphone. Below is the information that Evernote (www.evernote.com) includes on their website. I have included this information so I can quickly go into reviewing the application. ENJOY!

1. Capture everything.

Chances are, if you can see it, Evernote can help you remember it. Snap a photo. Grab a screenshot. Evernote will keep it all safe.

2. Organize it. (Or let us do it.)

Everything you capture is automatically processed, indexed, and made searchable. If you like, you can add tags or organize notes into different notebooks.

3. Find anything fast.

Search for notes by keywords, titles, and tags. Evernote magically makes printed and handwritten text inside your images searchable, too.
*(These are found at evernote.com, under the "Learn More" tab on the top of the screen. This was done to allow the audience to quickly understand what Evernote is so I can properly review the Android Market Evernote application.)*
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNE0R3rEe5Q

d7405e501c77a70885cf42f642928301.jpg

How to Set Up Evernote on Android:

Go to the Android Market on your Android powered mobile device and enter "evernote" into the search box. The first options that pulls up should be an icon with a green backgorund and a side profile of an elephant. Click on the application and click on the "Install" tab on the bottom of the screen. Once downloaded and installed (should be done automatically) then go into your app drawer and find the Evernote application icon and click on it. Once this is done the application will fire up and you will be asked to sign in with your "Username" and "Password". Under that is the option to "Sign in", "Create account", and "Learn more...". If you have an Evernote account (First, let me apologize for the long intro explaining Evernote at the beginning of the review) and your notes and notebooks will be pulled from the cloud and made into a list. If you have not signed up for an account with Evernote you have the additional two options, "create account" and "learn more." If the text and video at the beginning of this review is not enough then simply choose learn more and you will get a brief introduction from Evernote explaining the application.
77d04d24d9f7c5f438ec2a952be72a53.jpg

Next, click create account and your Android phone will automatically pull up the registration site on your mobile browser of choice. Simply fill in this information and you are ready to go. After this is accomplished you will be automatically signed in, but that will be on the web account not the Evernote application. So, go back and fire up the Evernote application and input your new "Username" and "Password" and then hit "Sign in".
da1fde22493434b956cef740596a7db8.jpg

Once signed in you will come to the app's home screen and see a search field followed by a magnifying glass icon. This is where you can search for notes in your account by title or tags. Below that you will see that you have four options, "Snapshot", "Upload File", "Text Note", and "Audio Note". These do pretty much what they say they do. If you click the "Snapshot" button then your Android phone's camera will fire up allowing you to take a quick photo of anything that you would like to remember and it will save them to the Evernote cloud. If you click on "Upload file" you will see a screen that includes all your files stored on your phones SD card (or internal memory, you lucky HTC Droid Incredible owners!). You are able to scroll to the file wanted to upload (i.e. photo or document) to your Evernote cloud (see below for picture).
e9c2e1fef3af9ee8e703e0d46589a391.jpg

"Text note" is the next option and this is one of the options I use the most often. Once clicked you will be launched into a screen with the option to write a note with a title, body, notebook, tags, and select tabs input fields (see picture below for example).
679605188e0cefa7c61c3365e67450a2.jpg

Here you are able to store notes for later. This allows for a lot of control and customization to the user. This can save a bunch of time and have the files stored in folders and notbooks in an order that best suits the users taste. The last option is "Audio note" and this is also a very welcomed option that takes advantage of your Android powered phone. You are able to record anything you want and best of all it doesn't store the recording on your phone's SD card, but is saved in your online storage at www.evernote.com!
19fed378f4d2866833c6328b3f3359be.jpg

After recording your desired file that you would like to keep then, simply click "Menu" on your Android phone and you will be brought to a screen that is very similar to the text note screen. Here you can title, select notebook, tags, and select tags fields to keep your files organized.

Once you have your files saved you can access them on your phone by going to the home screen and then either typing in the note you would like to find, or you can simply hit the magnifying glass icon and it will bring up a list of all your stored notes.
dffb2778fffe41090a0147651fabc040.jpg

Once in this field there are a three options that can be accessed by clicking your Android "Menu" button. The three options that pop up on the bottom of the screen include "Notes", "Search", and "Preferences". "Notes" will bring you back into the list, and "Search" will pop up the same search field you see on the home screen, but "Preferences" gives the user a little more options to customize their list of notes (It wouldn't be Android if we couldn't customize, right?). Here, you can change the view of the notes from a list or you can have then show thumbnails. Sort allows you to sort by files that are "created" or "updated". And order ascending allows you to click a box to sort notes in ascending order. Once I click on a note then a screen is pulled up showing my note and I can then click the "Menu" button to "Edit", "Email", get "Note info", and even "Delete". This makes for managing my notes very simple and easy to use.

That's pretty much all you need to know to get you up and running Evernote in no time. If you need further information visit www.evernote.com for more help. Below I have included the official Youtube video, "Evernote for Android: A Quick Overview" that pretty much shows you all the things I have explained above. This can also be found at evernote.com under the downloads button. I hope this has been some help to you. Enjoy!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1kwHnBt9F4s

First Impressions:

This is a well developed application and for anyone that knows how to use Evernote, or has been using this great invention to help remember important things will quickly come to love this application. It is very simple to use and has a small learning curve allowing pretty much any person of any age to enjoy the benefits that Evernote brings to our phones. Within a couple times of accessing the app I knew how to use each of the features. Evernote allows me to stay organized while keeping my important information safe. Then I am quickly able to search and find my files when I need them the most. It has allowed me as a student to keep my important information like notes, homework, and test dates easily filed wherever I go. I am able to quickly access all my information from the clouds in a device that is small enough to fit in my pocket. This application has earned it's spot on one of my valuable Android home pages and I use it multiple times a day.

Final Thoughts:

After using this application I did run into a couple of annoyances. One was the fact that I have to be in an area with service to have access to my notes and files. This is a common problem when keeping your files in the cloud. In all of my use with this application I have only run into this kind of problem once. I was at school and AT&T's service was terrible and I wasn't able to access my homework that I needed printed off. All I did was quickly pull out my laptop and sign on to the Evernote dedicated client for Mac and I had my file emailed to the school PC. Really, AT&T was more to be blamed than Evernote was, but I guess it would be nice to be able to access my files offline or be able to save them to my SD card. Also, it would of been nice to be able to stream music and video from within the application. This is hardly even an annoyance because Evernote is a little different than other cloud based storage options, but I am not even going to start to complain about this FREE application. It would also be valuable to have a widget that could be used on one of my Android homescreens for easy access. These are really the only things that I have found with Evernote that could be classified as Cons, but like I said this is a great, free application that I use to better organize my life everyday. I can't imagine not being able to have it after using for just a couple weeks. Do yourself a favor and start using Evernote. I am sure it will be no time and you will be singing it's praises as well. I easily give this application 9 stars out of 10. Great idea, great use of services, free, easily manageable, and great use of features in a mobile application.

Pros:

- The ability to save notes on the go.
- 40MB/month of Free online storage.
- Access to the Android camera from within the application.
- Recorded Notes.
- Organize notes and notebooks with tags within application.
- Twitter integration (ability to send notes to cloud by adding @myEN to tweet!)
- Syncs all information to web, PC, and mobile Android phone.
- Clean user interface.
- Customization.
- Open, edit, email, and delete notes from within the application.
- Can update account to Premium services for $5 per month (see Evernote Premium).

Cons:

- Widget?
- Can't stream music or video from within application.
- No offline viewing of notes.
- Better use of the notifications bar.
- Create accounts from within the application would be nice.

I finished my review yesterday and after checking it a few times I felt it was good enough. I am at work and I noticed that for some reason my review got all messed up. Well like I said before I am at work and don't have access to a computer and my laptop is at home. I fired up my Android device and was able to make some quick changes. I couldn't of done that with an iphone! I can't imagine life withoout my Android device! Good job google and your awesome partners for creating a device and operating system that we all truelly can use while we are out and about and not able to have access to our PCs. I hope you all have a great day and enjoy my app review I'm sure today's review willvbe done soon. I'm actually considering writing my next application review entirely on myAndroid phone. It will take awhile, but will show just how useful Android is.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones