• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Everyone gps?

No issues with mine. I've used the GPS nearly every day since I got the phone (the first day available). Works great! The only "issue" I've had is when I turn it on for the first time inside a building, it takes a while to lock on, and often wont get better than 50 meters or so. But within 30 seconds of walking outside, it locks w/in 3 meters (or closer sometimes), and doesn't lose me.

I don't know if this is unique to the SF, or if all GPS units work this way, so I'm not sure if it is a problem or not. But, why would I need the GPS inside a building, anyway? So, not really an issue for me, even if other phones are better able to locate the user's position inside.

Upvote 0
Trying to decide on droidx or sf, is everyone having serious gps issues?

I had serious issues until I found this post on forums:

you can try downloading gps status from the market and use it to reset the agps. to do it

1. launch gps status
2. hit menu -> settings
3. hit the "GPS & SENSORS" menu item
4. hit "Manage A-GPS state"
5. hit "reset" and then once reset hit "download"
6. Once that is complete hit the back button and then lay the phone down on a flat surface.
7. hit the "Calibrate roll and pitch"

I usually restart the phone after doing all this and then once restarted try out google maps again. My phone was taking 2-5 minutes to lock and now it's like seconds.

After following those directions mine works great. Actually I only did steps 1 - 5. I should try it again and do steps 6 and 7. My GPS works great now though. Anyone having GPS issue should try this!

Upvote 0
test today on 4.5 hr commute boston to NJ. Worked pretty good. Had 1 area where it lost connectivity; but told it to route again and it picked up where it left off very quickly. Once in NJ i fired up GPS test and most in View were 12; in use most seen 10. Accuracy 3.3 ft is best I noticed. Still having learning curve issues though; using VLINGO to kick off voice navigation w google maps/nav. I set it as default and will test more next week during commute.

Upvote 0
I had serious issues until I found this post on forums:

After following those directions mine works great. Actually I only did steps 1 - 5. I should try it again and do steps 6 and 7. My GPS works great now though. Anyone having GPS issue should try this!

I wasn't having issues unless I was indoors, so i did this the other day and it now works perfectly in doors too. Even pinpoints me with 6 feet sometimes.

Everyone should try this if it is taking more than 30 secs to lock or you are getting pinpointed more than 100 feet away.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones