Everything but the Phone part is great...General

Last Updated:

1. absollut

absollut New Member This Topic's Starter

Ok... I've come very close to throwing my Eris many times. I dig everything about the phone except the actual "Phone" part of the OS. Here is a list of items I have problems with.

1. When people call me I go to press the green answer button and it just hangs up on them. Not all the time, but many times.

2. When making many calls, I hang up one, press the other name I have to call on my recent calls list and it lags so much (up 10 to 20 seconds) that I press it again. next thing you know I'm calling them with both lines. The speed at which that updates is horrible.

3. After the 2.1 OTA, many times when I'm done with a call or voice mail I take the phone away from my head and the screen does not come back on. I put my finger over the sensor a couple times and it does, but is very dim. I have to turn it on standby and back on to get the screen back.

4. Reception is very poor, many dropped calls. Never had the problem before with my old LG.

5. When people call me it may take 3 to 4 rings on there end before my phone starts ringing.

Does anyone else have these same symptoms? Sorry if I have repeated on a thread.

If I root the phone will that help me out?

I use ATK frequently to try to keep it up to speed. Have next too no widgets running. All apps run fine, except the "phone" app.

Other than the "Phone" part of the Eris, I like it. But damnit, I've come very close to stomping this thing when I have to make a lot of phone calls while taking care of business.

Anyone else? :eek:

Advertisement
  2. HistoryChick

HistoryChick Member

Hey there, Absollut...you are definitely not alone. Search these forums for "lag" or "phone issue" or any type of combination of words that describe just how awful the phone part of the Eris is and you will get an eye-full. I check in regularly to see if anyone has found some miraculous new app or way to use the phone but basically we are SOL. I've tried "no call log" which is supposed to trim/cut the number of calls logged after you make them, and for a few hours I thought it made a difference but I eventually uninstalled the thing because it made things even worse.

You will find two types of responders to your question: the first are those who are sympathetic (like me!) and totally understand and offer suggestions, some of which do help in one way or another. But be forewarned that there are some out there who for some inexplicable reason don't think that 10 seconds lag is a big deal and rant and rave that it's user issues or explain this is just a "baby computer" and we don't know how to use it or some such thing. You'll get some who say they've never noticed this issue. I assure you they don't make or get calls regularly because no one out there is getting anything better than we are. I do recommend you wade into the discussion as you will probably find some helpful tips.

As for me, I have tossed my phone several times and I am truly a sweet and kind and even-tempered person (I swear!) I am also a techno-savvy person (bachelors degree in computer science) so I'm not an old granny who doesn't know where the big red switch is. My husband has one too and he describes using it as if you are carrying a super-sensitive precious fragile crystal Russian egg that is also like some magical box from Krypton that has a mind of its own. We both celebrate hilariously when we are able to successfully make or answer a call...it is that challenging!

On a serious note, if I were ever in a life threatening emergency I would be dead. There is no way in hell that I could get 9-1-1 dialed in less than 60 seconds. I accidentally tripped my company's security system and found out the hard way how impossible it is to make a call when you are nervous or distracted. God forbid I ever need to save a life.

So, here's my tip: when hanging up hit the hard hang-up key (the power key) two-times really quick. I've been having great luck with that the last few weeks and that helps the interminable delay hanging up when my husband and I sit in hushed anticipation of the phone actually disconnecting before we say anything (good OR bad) about whoever we were talking to. You'll find lots of funny (but sad) stories on these forums about poor folks who didn't realize how long it took to truly hang up and they were talking about the person on the other end.

As for dialing...your guess is probably as good as anyone elses. You never know if the selection you make from the phone list or the people app "took" so you hit it again and you mis-dial and then try desperately to hang up and then redo the whole process again praying you didn't get through to the last person you mis-dialed.

I don't mean to depress you...but I could have used this reassurance the first few months I owned this phone. It's been hell but we are trying to make the best of it while the two-year clock clicks down....which is probably why some people write that they are having no dialing problems...they've convinced themselves everything is OK.

Hang in there (but for God's sake don't try to "hang up!")

aje1967 likes this.
  3. Jmtegra

Jmtegra Well-Known Member

Make sure you trim your call log that seems to be a problem with causing lag. Call log trimmer is a good app for that but Ive been doing manually after my hard reset. Also, you said you use a task killer regularly. Try not using it at all for a couple days. When you kill all those apps the just reopen causing more lag than if you just let them run in the back ground. Try it out and see if it works for you, i know it has for many people in the Eris community.

4. Demache

Demache Well-Known Member

Apparently, I don't use my phone, because I don't have little problems with the dialer. :rolleyes: At most, it takes mine 3 seconds for it to get to the caller ID screen. But dialing out is always fairly quick. If I hang up, and then make another call, its almost instant, since the resources are already loaded. But I never use the touch screen in calls, except for sending numbers. I always use the send key to pull up the dialer, and I always use the end key for end.

I don't doubt you have a problem though, nor will I blame it on user error. Since my mother's Eris, sometimes has the exact same problems yours has, and I can't figure it out for the life of me. All I know is, that I'm either doing something right, or my phone is a SuperEris or something. But I also don't have a ton of contacts either. There are about 40 Google Contacts, and about 200 Facebook ones that it pulls up in the dialer. I never clear cache, or call history. So I think I might have something special on hand.

5. scary alien

scary alien not really so scary Moderator

While I, mself, have had very few issues with my phone, lots of folks have. No, you are not alone :)

Sounds like you have one of the "lemons" that you should probably take into your local VZW store and discuss your problems and ask for a replacement. Rooting your phone will probably not make it any better (YOU might feel better, but your phone won't necessarily (and you won't be able to return it to VZW after rooting without un-rooting)).

Anyway, if you are inclined, here are a few of the threads where many folks have discussed similar phone issues (and some solutions). I won't pretend that these are all of the relevant threads, but its a good start (and these threads often cross-reference other threads).

Good luck!

http://androidforums.com/htc-droid-eris/80233-factory-data-reset-option.html

http://androidforums.com/htc-droid-...en-phone-goes-silent-multiple-times-week.html

http://androidforums.com/htc-droid-eris/93115-why-my-phone-taking-so-long-call-someone-d.html

http://androidforums.com/htc-droid-eris/78658-report-your-2-1-ota-error-bugs-complaints-here.html

6. Kevkelsar

Kevkelsar Well-Known Member

Try changing your Slot Cycle from 2 to 1 or 0. Sorry, I don't remember the steps to change it, but they are somewhere in these forums. Basically, reducing your slot cycle increases the frequency that your phone will receive any signals from cell towers, thus helping with the three to four rings on the caller's end before your phone rings.

7. mistaj33

mistaj33 Well-Known Member

There's also an app called "Call Confirm" which pops up a dialog box that forces you to click a "Call" button before actually calling anyone. Many have found this very useful:

Call Confirm - Android app on AppBrain