• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Evil Eris questions galore

To start with I am a complete idiot when it comes to this stuff so consider yourselves warned. I have been trolling these forums for months waiting for ota 2.1 and have been sadly dissapointed. So I have all but decided to root and get the evil eris rom. It seems that everyone that has it loves it. My questions are this:

1. Can someone post a screen shot of what evil eris actually looks like on the phone
2. I have noticed that there a lot of commands that have to be typed to do different things in the phone. Is it a Command system or is it a GUI that has an option (such as an app that comes with or a program built in) that allows you to enter commands.
3. What are the chances of me bricking my phone so that I have a really expensive paper weight.
4. Is it possible to root from my phone with without plugging in to my computer?
5. Is it possible to go back to stock if it sucks donkey or I want to go to a different rom.

Thanks for all the help in advance and if there is anything else I should know feel free to just throw it on here. And if I posted something that is repeated I apologize although I have not seen it and I am sure all the other new guys/gals would appreciate the answer. Also any other online ettiquettes I did not perform I apologize.

1. Can someone post a screen shot of what evil eris actually looks like on the phone
It looks more or less like this:
http://img40.imageshack.us/img40/4161/snap20100504214606.png

2. I have noticed that there a lot of commands that have to be typed to do different things in the phone. Is it a Command system or is it a GUI that has an option (such as an app that comes with or a program built in) that allows you to enter commands.
I'm not sure what you're referring to. If you're speaking about the rooting process, I suggest using either the all-in-one script mentioned in the stick (http://androidforums.com/all-things-root-eris/53963-guide-stock-1-5-latest-root-2-1-a.html) or the Eris Master Application ([Application] Eris Master Application [R00T] - 5/24/10 - xda-developers)

3. What are the chances of me bricking my phone so that I have a really expensive paper weight.
From what I hear, it's next to impossible to screw it up. Just make sure you read everything first and then read it again.

4. Is it possible to root from my phone with without plugging in to my computer?
Not as far as I know. You need to be able to run some commands to install the Recovery image.

5. Is it possible to go back to stock if it sucks donkey or I want to go to a different rom.
Yes. The information is also contained in one of the stickies. (http://androidforums.com/all-things...ot-thread-apps-roms-updated-05-06-2010-a.html)

Switching between roms is extremely easy. You just move the new rom onto the sd card, turn the phone off, press the Volume Up and Power button and it'll put you into the recovery mode. In here, you'll be able to wipe the phone and install the new one. You can even make back ups of your current install and revert to them if you don't care for the new rom that you installed.

I suggest you have a look over XDA as well. A lot of developers post their roms on that site.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones