• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

"EVO 3D Oval Office"

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueScreen

Mar 24, 2010
Thread is referred to as the "Oval Office" as an homage to the White House representing a conduit where information is constantly coming and going. Hope is this thread will provide the same. Focusing on Pics/Video/Information/Speculation/Wish list/Must haves/and Scooped info referencing EVO 3D. I personally want to say thanks for giving EVO 3D it's spot. Technology does moves on a dime!

Sprint folks had been running around with a new hardware revision of EVO 3D for awhile. I got to work on the prototype software, we simply sent updates. Sunday night, I was presented with what is now the HTC EVO 3D final rev. The one presented today and has received all the eye candy.

Kickstand: Noooo! I had the same reaction at the time this was presented to me. I talked in length on this. The motive for sans kickstand was cost/weight. Because EVO 3D does have a larger battery it did require a bit of expensive engineering to perform a work around. It is and will be a corporate culture to ensure EVO 3D remains at a attractive price point to “you” the consumer. I was shocked to hear when polled, being able to let your EVO kick back was not on the "Fans" list? (Who Knew!) So, with cost/weight consideration being added to the equation a kickstand/no kickstand option had to be put on the table. (I got the "win" for a kickstand). Logic was to give the consumer the choice. Launch time there will be the option for a kickstand. Prototype is an aluminum case. The drawings look sound and expected to address stability. I can’t go into details as other vendors will be designing there own versions. I felt a reasonable compromise had to be reached to make this work and be a non issue. (Job done!)

Next, why on earth would you put a charging port on the side of EVO 3D with its improved landscape capabilities? How am I going to do anything in landscape mode with a charging port on EVO 3D side? I was right there with you on that one, this seemed like a major step back! (I was peeved) Exclusive to the EVO 3D your getting a new data port called “MHL” (Media Hot Link) Once again the h/w guys made perfect sense of this. The one sticking point and I know you guys have a thread called “We need to follow this”. Not only does this new data port have a few industry first/tricks up its sleeve. (Thx h/w gurus btw) This port from a software side, gave us a gold mine to work with here. (More later) I know we all use original EVO in landscape mode. I have my EVO 4G mounted to the windshield for navigation. I could use the one in the car, but the EVO 4G is better. Hence, while in landscape mode, I also notice how the charging port is now on its side and the stress it puts on the charging port. I mentioned before EVO 3D is going to be more at home than ever in landscape mode with window panes and “buttons” rotating 360 degrees. If you still chose portrait mode in your car. You can all be glad that we now have a beefy all in one hdmi/data/charging beefy port to plug into. I posed the question? (Supposed Smart Hardware Guys/They are!) Let’s say I am watching the entire season 8 of 24. I have two episodes left and I need to plug in to watch the grand finale? The hardware guys got me again. “Because EVO 3D operates under android 2.3 gingerbread, simply rotate EVO so the charging port is on the top side and you can charge and watch movies. I said what if, my EVO is streaming HD content to my HDTV and I need to recharge? MHL will simultaneously stream and charge at the same time. (PWND)

Long live new EVO 3D.
I will continue to post with updates that is not covered at CTIA. Focusing more what we care about items such as these.
*DLNA
*Hulu
*Netflix
*HTCH Media Link
*NFC
*10mp Photo
*1080p 3D Movie (Avatar) Stream
*Push to Talk
*ECDMA (Enhanced, CDMA)
*HD Voice
*Integration/Migration Wimax/LTE.
*Laptop docking station via "HML Port"
*That’s just some of the stuff we have to knock out before launch.

Cheers,
BSOD(>-_0<)

Reactions: drexappeal
So, the hardware gurus think charging on kickstand is a problem, so they move it to where - if there were a kickstand - you can't charge while kickstand in landscape.

The Thunderbolt guys are hating it.

So - your guys found out that was hated and the response wasn't get the charging port right?

Tell us again how the port being MHL makes it work so you can charge it in landscape mode, on kickstand, because that made no sense.

I wonder if we share the definition of guru.

@EarlyMon, While I understand the pessimism and appreciate the tone of sarcasm. (Cause, I am with you on that, I just had 3 months of Dev work down the toilet, because of the hardware executives aka "guru's") In the first paragraph I stated EVO 3D will launch with a kickstand &#8220;Option&#8221;. I am forcing them to come up with a real "choice" for the consumer mainly "US". I clearly stated it will be made of metal, durable, and must be a real "choice". The happy medium is that the "Choice" would be up to you. I fully expect this in one form or another to be a real option for us a launch. It was the best only thing that could be done to keep that option open.
I will be no loner posting up dates on this thread as you graciously started an EVO 3D link. I have started what is called the "EVO 3D Oval Office" as decisions are made and software matures. Progress will be reported on there. Fare warning contradiction is to be assured and the intensity of web rags will create havoc as launch day approaches? It goes with out saying; everyone wants to be "First" with whatever information. I don't care about that. I get done with work, I sit down, use this site as a blog, and sometimes vent. I found it a form of relaxation while enjoying a glass of scotch. I started updating here when first EVO came out because it shared a passion, its tight nit, and I can update while staying under the radar. I feel EVO 3D needs open/honest/healthy debate contradiction is to be expected. I think things are getting out of hand updates will simply stop and I will not post anywhere else. I still want to encourage wish lists as CTIA proves everything can change on a dime. I feel let's move forward and have good time in until launch day.
Cheers,

BSOD(>-_0<)

Hi BSOD,

Well - we have "gurus" in our company, too. ;)

FWIW - my record on the other thread is clearly pretty supportive of you and the 3D, so let's stay square. :)

I'm liking what I've seen so far on the E3D (presently, I have the Evo, WifelyMon has Evo Shift, so we're big HTC supporters).

Will stay tuned for more info!

Reactions: BlueScreen
Upvote 0
BSOD,
just wanted to say im a supporter here for ya and my comments that are questioning what you say are simply to try and be fair to myself with the info beign provided. In this day in age you could honestly be anyone so questioning is justified to a certain extent.

look forward to the updates!
btw, the NFC part, was that on the RevB model there and just not enabled or discussed yet or is that part still up in the air?
IMO kickstand, NFC, and the memory handeling you discussed are huge things I hope that make it in some form. DRM is a given considering it should be in the hardware itself according to previous details on the chips.

Upvote 0
What I posted in the other thread:

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.

This dude claimed that all of his posts had to be approved by his boss. Now he is claiming that none of them had a clue about the device they were going to be on stage announcing, even the night before the announcement? Give me a break.

Here is his first post ever on this forum, from a thread called "Official EVO Rumors and Speculation thread"
http://androidforums.com/582194-post3927.html
BlueScreen said:
Long time lurker, first time poster..I thought I was up to speed on the tech side of cellies!..I thought getting a Samsung Moment was a good choice (800mghz proc etc.) and while trying to get info on tethering my SM from this uber site. I checked out the EVO threads. (Thank Goodness!) and promptly excersised my right on the 30day Sprint return policy. (just under 3days whew!) That was March 18th and been eargly digesting all the juicy nuggets and painfully now back on a non-smartphone aka grasshopper provider (Cricket) I had 3weeks of goodness w/samsung moment and had to painfully return it, but you guys saved me two years of not being able to enjoy true technological greatness of EVO 4g. I just wanted to say thanks to everyone for all the great info and helpful insights.
<2/cents>
I am perfectly happy w/all the specs that sprint/HTC has provided thus far with respect to the EVO 4g just the way it is. I mean does this phone really not do anything we been asking for? I been in tech bussiness for longtime with a blue company that makes processors and it's been awhile since being this pumped about technology. I look forward to seeing the threads on EVO 4G tips and tricks when this beast hits the streets. Thanks again for saving me from a 2yr contract w/a inferrior cellie and to those that keep posting juicy tidbits you all know who you are..
Sincerly,
BSOD>-_0<

Enough already. The dude is a troll.

Upvote 0
Ok, that's one opinion, not sure what stirring controversy over year old posts leads to, tho.
It leads to the truth. He came in here claiming to have told everyone a bunch of inside info about the Evo before it was released. The reality is he came here not knowing a darn thing about the Evo and was actually thankful for the info he got from this forum.

Upvote 0
It leads to the truth. He came in here claiming to have told everyone a bunch of inside info about the Evo before it was released. The reality is he came here not knowing a darn thing about the Evo and was actually thankful for the info he got from this forum.

Look through his post history and the truth is revealed. I can not believe the following this troll has... you guys should be ashamed of yourselves.

Click his name, click more posts by troll (bluescreen) and on the first page you'll start putting it together ... then the more you dig, you will see how full of crap he is.

Upvote 0
I personally thank you for you input and updates BSOD. I fully understand that anything is subject to change from a prototype to the final product.

With that said, and what Sprint presented yesterday on top of the fact that I have a Evo 4g, until I see reviews from everyday people (not a tech site that runs through phones weekly) and/or the final product has more luster to it, I dont see myself at this point excited about this phone and would not buy it for full price (with the new revisions to Sprint premier customers).

Im not one to switch a carrier for a phone and also not one to upgrade to a newer phone just cause its newer either without it making sense and this one doesnt make sense.

I look forward to more of your post and hope that you dont let a few posters change that.

Hopefully the launch day product will be much better than this one.

Side note, I HATE SIDE CHARGING PORTS, mainly because when charging the phone from a wall outlet that is lower than the phone or a car charger that retracts and pulls on the cord, the charger ends up going bad quicker if you are forced to charge while holding the phone when you dont have a earpiece or maybe somewhere were a speakerphone cant be used.

Upvote 0
[FONT=&quot]NFC, was part of Rev.A software. I don't know if it is on the horizon. I know we are going to proceed as if it is.
DRM, is a built in function of Qualcomm SoC, Depending on digital content manager and digital content server (Provider) software handshake is a must. I expect this to be part of EVO 3D Hollywood package on launch day.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
It is too early with respect to memory. This Rev.B has not even seen a GLBenchmark yet. I am positive improvement will be made to achieve highest benchmark possible before final release.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Regards,
BSOD(>-_0<)[/FONT]

Upvote 0
I personally thank you for you input and updates BSOD. I fully understand that anything is subject to change from a prototype to the final product.

With that said, and what Sprint presented yesterday on top of the fact that I have a Evo 4g, until I see reviews from everyday people (not a tech site that runs through phones weekly) and/or the final product has more luster to it, I dont see myself at this point excited about this phone and would not buy it for full price (with the new revisions to Sprint premier customers).

Im not one to switch a carrier for a phone and also not one to upgrade to a newer phone just cause its newer either without it making sense and this one doesnt make sense.

I look forward to more of your post and hope that you dont let a few posters change that.

Hopefully the launch day product will be much better than this one.

Side note, I HATE SIDE CHARGING PORTS, mainly because when charging the phone from a wall outlet that is lower than the phone or a car charger that retracts and pulls on the cord, the charger ends up going bad quicker if you are forced to charge while holding the phone when you dont have a earpiece or maybe somewhere were a speakerphone cant be used.

Really? How do you go from this ..
http://androidforums.com/2450285-post73.html

to this
http://androidforums.com/1024857-post1.html
and this
http://androidforums.com/751250-post12748.html

and this, just a few posts before he talks his "work on the incredible"
http://androidforums.com/649202-post7614.html

and this from a guy who worked on the evo? tried to get his release info from best buy?
http://androidforums.com/621783-post6292.html

I could go on but if you guys still can't see it, then you're hopeless.

Upvote 0
We can agree and agree to disagree without it getting all personal, okey dokey?

It will all come out in the wash.

I think it is already out. People just simply do not want to believe. I almost have to applaud BS on a troll well done.

I do agree that it doesn't need to get personal tho. You're right about that. My apologies.

Upvote 0
[FONT=&quot]NFC, was part of Rev.A software. I don't know if it is on the horizon. I know we are going to proceed as if it is.
DRM, is a built in function of Qualcomm SoC, Depending on digital content manager and digital content server (Provider) software handshake is a must. I expect this to be part of EVO 3D Hollywood package on launch day.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
It is too early with respect to memory. This Rev.B has not even seen a GLBenchmark yet. I am positive improvement will be made to achieve highest benchmark possible before final release.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Regards,
BSOD(>-_0<)[/FONT]

NFC is hardware bud. doesn't matter if the software is there for it or not. if it lacks the req hardware needed then its a mute point.
I'll say it again. sprint doesn't make phones, they approve them and help with design aspects. They absolutely do not make that big of a change last min them selves and they say here HTC this is what your going to make now that we have made it ourselves. sorry.

Upvote 0
All you have to do is look at the stock photos of the phone that are on HTC's website and know this guy is full of it. There's no way they do those kinds of studio shots of the phone the night before the announcement.

OK, can't let this one go by. Having started college for advertising in 1982 and done an internship in a major agency here I can say 100% that studio shots like that are done last minute all the time, and done with film, pre-digital. The digital era speeds things up even more.

Upvote 0
I still don't understand how people (including mods) still take this fool seriously. Please, take a careful read of his convoluted and, at times, nonsensical posts and ask yourself:

Can someone who types like this really hold three doctorates and be a vice president?

"new" instead of "knew"
"there" instead of "their"
Nevermind this: "Excellent example how fast technology moves and the next few months not going to be any easier."

You guys are all being played and I still can't believe people are still defending him. I doubt this guy has finished college, let alone high school.

To BSOD: I must salute you though, that was one of the best trolling effort I've seen in my time and trust me, I've seen many.

Upvote 0
[FONT=&quot]I won't go in justifying troll/this or that. I will admit over year ago, didn't have much of a interest in "Cellie" phones. I personally did not care for them because the technology was boring and did not offer anything woth getting pumped up over. If look back, I am right! PDA's were more common place then so called crap smartphones of 2009/10. Only thing of any intrest was a blackberry and that processor was a joke compared to developing quad/hex core Intel processors for a PC market. I posted about that over a year ago.
I was at Intel at that time Wimax technology was invented by Intel in 1998. I was on that development team. Fast forward to May 2010, Intel volunteered to assist with a consortium of companies including Google/HTC/Sprint to polish out issues with Wimax on various technical difficulted on Hotspot/3g/4g switching algorithms/Qik video chat/ and talk about that before EVO 4G was launched. I volunteered with that group to push 4g on time for launch. I did it, because there was a real technology worth being pumped up about. I was finally witnessing a technology come into. 12 years ago I worked on it and it was making show for prime time. That is something else you can read my post from year ago. I simply ask you to take a negative and make it positive. Then, if your fortunate enough to be part of a positive contributions. You will be able to say "I contributed something positive and change the world, forever."
Sent using Speech to Text on EVO 3D,
Cheers,
BSOD(>-_0<)[/FONT]

Upvote 0
[FONT=&quot]I won't go in justifying troll/this or that. I will admit over year ago, didn't have much of a interest in "Cellie" phones. I personally did not care for them because the technology was boring and did not offer anything woth getting pumped up over. If look back, I am right! PDA's were more common place then so called crap smartphones of 2009/10. Only thing of any intrest was a blackberry and that processor was a joke compared to developing quad/hex core Intel processors for a PC market. I posted about that over a year ago.
I was at Intel at that time Wimax technology was invented by Intel in 1998. I was on that development team. Fast forward to May 2010, Intel volunteered to assist with a consortium of companies including Google/HTC/Sprint to polish out issues with Wimax on various technical difficulted on Hotspot/3g/4g switching algorithms/Qik video chat/ and talk about that before EVO 4G was launched. I volunteered with that group to push 4g on time for launch. I did it, because there was a real technology worth being pumped up about. I was finally witnessing a technology come into. 12 years ago I worked on it and it was making show for prime time. That is something else you can read my post from year ago. I simply ask you to take a negative and make it positive. Then, if your fortunate enough to be part of a positive contributions. You will be able to say "I contributed something positive and change the world, forever."
Sent using Speech to Text on EVO 3D,
Cheers,
BSOD(>-_0<)[/FONT]

Give it up man, you act as if you worked on the OG EVO and your post history clearly shows you knew nothing about it. Not only that, it shows you had a Samsung moment that people talked you into turning in and getting the EVO.

Reactions: BlackDynamite
Upvote 0
again... what bs has said.. and what we have seen...could happen.
things can change on a dime... i want to give him time to prove him right or wrong.

that being said... htc is not that big...(like samsung)..
how can they not know the evo3d has been changed to a totally new phone design??? that is hard to believe.. but not impossible.

bluescreen.. if you can drop some real proof of the dual 4G mode...then that should give you huge credit.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones