1. 2015 is going to be a great year for Android! Why wait??
    Samsung Galaxy Note 5 | Samsung Galaxy S6 | HTC One M9
  2. New Forum Created: Samsung Gear VR!

Evo 3d Screen = Not Scratch ProofSupport

1. Shady Pete

Shady Pete Well-Known Member

I decided to use the phone for a few days without a screen protector, because a few a my friends claim that these screens are very hard to scratch. I was extremely gentle with the phone and 2 days later a had a few scratches on the screen. Luckily they are what I would call "micro scratches" and are barely noticeable. But just so you guys know, it is very easy to scratch the screen on the EVO 3D.

Advertisement
    :
    Brianc0428 and EVO3D like this.
  2. Thefoodman52

Thefoodman52 Well-Known Member

Yea.... it's not gorilla glass oddly enough.
  3. Pinecone666

Pinecone666 Member

Sorry if this is posted somewhere else, but according to corning it does have gorilla glass.

CORNING
    dan330 likes this.
  4. edp

edp Well-Known Member

yeah, i was under the impression that it was gorilla glass. but thanks for the heads up. i will not be taking my screen protector off anytime soon
  5. dan330

dan330 Well-Known Member

^^^ for thanks for the link to Corning ....i am surprised..
    i saw a post by someone... HTC support said it was not GG.
  6. PyroJing

PyroJing Well-Known Member

This is why I got a screen protector on it day one, just like I did with my iPhone 3G when I got it.

I replaced the crappy one I had on it with ghost armor so it is well protected.
  7. ProfeZZor X

ProfeZZor X Well-Known Member

After my replacement 3DVO, I used it for about a week without a screen protector... And wouldn't you know, it happened to be the fourth of July weekend. So while filming some fireworks I burned for the kids, a couple of sparks hit the screen, which ended up burning two pinhead sized areas on the screen. The most visible one burned through pretty deep... Needless to say, I bought a ZAG protector the next day.
  8. z50king

z50king Well-Known Member

I scratched my screen protector. I always have it in my pocket so I know it's gonna get scratched. Good thing I have a screen protector
  9. SolApathy

SolApathy Cleverness is not wisdom Guide

Strange. I've had mine since launch day. no protector...No scratches
    cnote1287, falconey and ClouDarK like this.
  10. themuffinman75

themuffinman75 Well-Known Member

I don't know what all the love for gorilla glass is all about, personally I could care less if the 3vo does or doesn't come with it. Saying a phone has gorilla glass only gives the person a false sense of security. Typically with regular use it is pretty difficult to scratch your screen with regular items like keys or coins or what not but if you come across a few grains of sand(which could be anywhere and not just at the beach, LOL) then I don't care what kind of glass you got, its gonna get scratched. Or if you are in a construction type area where there may be a lot of random abrasive materials then it will probably get scratched as well. So if you are the type of person who is somewhat anal about scratches on the screen, by all means get a screen protector before you rely on gorilla glass. Now me personally, I don't like screen protectors because none of them feel right when I use them, I would rather feel the glass screen against my finger versus plastic. Besides there are products you can buy that can remove those very fine scratches.
    Brianc0428, novox77 and EarlyMon like this.
  11. CarrieK

CarrieK Well-Known Member

Same here. Also scratch resistant is not the same as scratch proof.
  12. Shady Pete

Shady Pete Well-Known Member

What would be the names of these products?
  13. LBPHeretic

LBPHeretic Well-Known Member

As much as I love the concept of Gorilla Glass, I have always put a screen protector on my handsets regardless of whether or not it had it. I discovered that my Sprint HTC Hero has Gorilla Glass only a few months ago, probably because it was never widely advertised as having it, but it has always been rocking a screen protector and it is in pristine condition because of it. :)

Finally, themuffinman75 is right in that grains of sand will eventually scratch your screen. Remember, sand is the building block of glass itself, so it can cause damage to glass. ;)
    Brianc0428 and EarlyMon like this.
  14. dan330

dan330 Well-Known Member

anything that can burn through glass... like as you described...
    no protector can help you!

and that sound extremely dangerous... i am surprised you dont have burn holes in you.
    ProfeZZor X likes this.
  15. ProfeZZor X

ProfeZZor X Well-Known Member

What I didn't realize, is that the EVO 3D glass is plastic. Afer it burned, there was some resudue burned into the surrounding area of the screen. I thought that maybe I could scrape it off with my fingernail but it wouldn't budge. So I used a razor to scrape it off and smoothen out the screen. Otherwise, putting a screen protector on would have been absolutely pointless.

The fireworks I shot off at the time was that cone dealy, that shoots sparks up in the air about 5 feet. I basically did a up close walk-around looking down upon it to give the illusion that the sparks were coming at you, and at some point the wind/sparks must have shifted and a couple of small chemical cinders popped onto my finger and the screen of the device. Despite the minor sting it gave me, I kept shooting... It wasn't until after I finished shooting that I realized the screen was damaged.

It should be up on Youtube3D under "Fireworks in 3D"
  16. dan330

dan330 Well-Known Member

its plastic???? the screen on 3D?? that is a huge shock to me...
    EarlyMon likes this.
  17. themuffinman75

themuffinman75 Well-Known Member

I guess I will have to google it to see if I can find the specific product. Years ago when the first iphone came out my youngest sister went and bought one, about two weeks later she noticed that there were some very fine scratches on the screen and needles to say it was getting on her nerves. Anyway, one of her friends who worked at a car dealership had some kind of glass polish that he said might work. So she was like what the hell, so we gave it a shot and sure nuff it took the scratches right out the screen. Again, keep in mind that these were very fine scratches where you could see it but you couldn't actually feel it with you fingernails, anything worse than that and it probably would not have worked.
  18. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon Moderator

No way. It's glass. No telling what came off after the pyrotechnics.
  19. LBPHeretic

Is this your 3D YouTube video? I have posted it below and it looks really cool.

‪Fireworks in 3D‬‏ - YouTube

By the way, there is no way that the Sprint HTC EVO 3D has a plastic screen. Those sparks burn really intensely and I have no doubt that they could melt glass or at least leave burned on residue.
    EarlyMon likes this.
  20. dan330

dan330 Well-Known Member

i takes a lot to melt glass.... those fireworks are not that hot...

it maybe that the firework material had attached itself to your glass screen.. then with a razorblade you were able to scrape off the burned up firework material.

your screen is still smooth and undamaged...
  21. NeoteriX

NeoteriX Well-Known Member

I posted this up before, but I guess it gets buried so people don't get the opportunity to see it. Cliff notes? Glass can be scratched. Go without a screen protector at your own risk.

http://androidforums.com/htc-evo-3d/349849-lets-talk-cases-htc-evo-3d-2.html#post2796230

novox77, themuffinman75 and EarlyMon like this.
  22. LBPHeretic

Indeed. That is why I said it might have left residue because it burned it a little. ;)

However, if you want to get into the science of it, the aluminum in fireworks can burn at up to 2700
    EarlyMon likes this.
  23. dan330

dan330 Well-Known Member

ok.. maybe so...

serious question... (which I dont know)
    if the glass was melted.. can a razorblade (lower hardness material) be used to cut and smooth out a glass bump?
  24. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon Moderator

Depends on amount of bubbling within the burned glass.

Hardness is an integral result. Plenty of examples of steel cutting glass abound.
  25. outkast25

outkast25 Well-Known Member

I could have told you that. Same things with my iphone 4. Everyone said it was g glass. Thts a crock. I have light scratches too and babied it.....