• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

EVO 3D vs. Sprint Galaxy S2 variant (EPIC successor)

The EVO 3D will run FroYo, while the EPIC's successor will run Gingerbread.

That, Super AMOLED Plus display, and the likely physical keyboard are why I'm going with Samsung again!

Are you sure? Everywhere I have seen lists the EVO 3D running the latest Android, 2.3 (Gingerbread); and the EVO 3D's qHD Super LCD sounds pretty good to me!
www.sprint.com/evo3d
http://www.htc.com/us/products/evo3d-sprint#overview

I think you have started the same basic conversation going on here: http://androidforums.com/sprint/303511-evo-3d-sprint-galaxy-s2-variant.html

Either way, both will be GREAT phones.

Upvote 0
Are you sure? Everywhere I have seen lists the EVO 3D running the latest Android, 2.3 (Gingerbread); and the EVO 3D's qHD Super LCD sounds pretty good to me!
www.sprint.com/evo3d
http://www.htc.com/us/products/evo3d-sprint#overview

I think you have started the same basic conversation going on here: http://androidforums.com/sprint/303511-evo-3d-sprint-galaxy-s2-variant.html

Either way, both will be GREAT phones.

The picture on the page doesn't have the black Gingerbread notification bar.

Upvote 0
The picture on the page doesn't have the black Gingerbread notification bar.

humm, interesting, Even if it doesn't it will get it will promptly, just like the EVO was practically the first carrier phone to get FroYo. But, I'd put my money on EVO 3D launching Gingerbread, considering its listed on numerous sites, including Sprint and HTC--right from the sources. EVO 3D was running 2.3 in all the CTIA videos. Here is another, the evidence more than supports Gingerbread on the upcoming EVO. Sprint launches HTC Evo 3D | CTIA 2011 - CNET Reviews

Upvote 0
humm, interesting, Even if it doesn't it will get it will promptly, just like the EVO was practically the first carrier phone to get FroYo. But, I'd put my money on EVO 3D launching Gingerbread, considering its listed on numerous sites, including Sprint and HTC--right from the sources. EVO 3D was running 2.3 in all the CTIA videos. Here is another, the evidence more than supports Gingerbread on the upcoming EVO. Sprint launches HTC Evo 3D | CTIA 2011 - CNET Reviews

The one there doesn't have the Gingerbread notification bar either.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
well, just saying what I see in writing. Time will tell, but id still bet 2.3 considering thats what is listed all over the place, very reliable sources. In fact, I've Never seen 2.2 listed, always 2.3 on EVO 3D.

Perhaps the ones at CTIA were running FroYo, but HTC will have Gingerbread will be ready before launch hopefully.

I'm going to wait until the EPIC's successor is announced before I make my decision on which one I'm using my yearly upgrade on. The first U.S. Galaxy S2 variant should be launching in July, and I place my bets that it'll be on AT&T since the European S2 supports the 850 MHz WCDMA band and not the 1700 MHz band that T-Mobile uses.

Upvote 0
Perhaps the ones at CTIA were running FroYo, but HTC will have Gingerbread will be ready before launch hopefully.

I'm going to wait until the EPIC's successor is announced before I make my decision on which one I'm using my yearly upgrade on. The first U.S. Galaxy S2 variant should be launching in July, and I place my bets that it'll be on AT&T since the European S2 supports the 850 MHz WCDMA band and not the 1700 MHz band that T-Mobile uses.

yea, I hope Sprint gets the GSII soon after, cuz it is tempting for me, too. Samsung makes has some impressive hardward, that is easy on the eyes as well. Even as an HTC EVO fan, It will definitely make for a tough decision for me.

Upvote 0
yea, I hope Sprint gets the GSII soon after, cuz it is tempting for me, too. Samsung makes has some impressive hardward, that is easy on the eyes as well. Even as an HTC EVO fan, It will definitely make for a tough decision for me.

I prefer better hardware to better software support. Honeycomb builds were surely leak earlier than the official update (if there is one) like FroYo builds did for the EPIC. I had FroYo starting with DK28 in early December.

Upvote 0
I prefer better hardware to better software support. Honeycomb builds were surely leak earlier than the official update (if there is one) like FroYo builds did for the EPIC. I had FroYo starting with DK28 in early December.

Not bad, but I had it direct from Sprint/HTC OTA in like aug/sep, i think it was. early and impressive support, no way anyone can argue with that.
Really not trying to start a battle, as I said, sincerely, I think both are/will be great, top of the line devices. Here is a question for you: are you 100 percent convinced Sprint will get a GSII? I like to think that they will, and definitely hope so, cuz it is indeed intriguing to me, but no guarantee, right?

PS: I've got 3 EVO's in my residence, one from launch day, one from 3 weeks after and one just recently, I have had no hardware issues/defects with any one of them. all are flawless.

Upvote 0
Not bad, but I had it direct from Sprint/HTC OTA in like aug/sep, i think it was. early and impressive support, no way anyone can argue with that.
Really not trying to start a battle, as I said, sincerely, I think both are/will be great, top of the line devices. Here is a question for you: are you 100 percent convinced Sprint will get a GSII? I like to think that they will, and definitely hope so, cuz it is indeed intriguing to me, but no guarantee, right?

PS: I've got 3 EVO's in my residence, one from launch day, one from 3 weeks after and one just recently, I have had no hardware issues/defects with any one of them. all are flawless.

My EVO got it in early August. I then got the EPIC in early September.

All major carriers and even some regional carriers got a Galaxy S variant last year, so I'm assuming the same will happen with the S2. If not, then it's most likely hello EVO 3D for me.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones