• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

EVO 4G and Skype questions

Why SHOULD they? That would hurt the carriers and limit differentiation. If a carrier wants to spend the money and time to develop and incorporate something exclusive to them, why should that be available to everybody else? Just because I buy a HP computer with Kapersky anti-virus on it doesn't mean somebody who buys a Dell should get it for free too.

Because Google has pledged openness in the name of Android. It's an open market, it's an open platform. Google pledged these things to combat Apple's very closed and gated App Store.

Having carrier-exclusive apps like Skype is directly opposed to having an open platform.

Upvote 0
I understand that, but at the same time you have to protect the carriers and allow them to offer exclusives to distinguish them from their competition. While Google doesn't care who controls what market share, Sprint or Verizon sure do.

Sometimes you have to sacrifice market share in order to embrace openness, if you're a carrier.

Plus, remember, if every Android phone allowed the Skype app, there would be more Android users.

Google should force the carriers to find OTHER ways to differentiate themselves.

Upvote 0
Ok, so if Google takes an issue with this and pisses Verizon off and they decide they're cutting their Android lineup in half, what does that accomplish?

You have some romantic notion of openness and google as some knight in shining armor. At the end of the day its about money. Google is not going to piss off somebody for the sake of an ideology when it could affect them in the pocket book.

Upvote 0
Ok, so if Google takes an issue with this and pisses Verizon off and they decide they're cutting their Android lineup in half, what does that accomplish?

You have some romantic notion of openness and google as some knight in shining armor. At the end of the day its about money. Google is not going to piss off somebody for the sake of an ideology when it could affect them in the pocket book.

You are correct, and it makes me sad that a company can be publicly committed to openness and then turn right around and ignore that commitment for profit. It's a sad world.

There are ways to make profit besides proprietary wrangling.

But, this debate has nothing to do with the EVO.

Upvote 0

It accomplishes Verizon realizing it just lost its best phones, and with no iPhone it would back peddle quickly.

I simply think something like Skype is too big to be left to one carrier. I realize thats mostly Skypes fault. Im sure verizon showed them a bunch of zero's on a check and their eyes lit up.

I just wish it wasnt that way. I'd like to use Skype on the Evo.

Upvote 0
VZW's going to make a strong bid for iPhone, which already has Skype apps, so Google including Skype in Froyo won't make much difference to VZW. At some point, the carriers will see that Skype probably isn't going to really threaten them because people will be paying more for data than voice on their bills anyway.

Sprint, of all carriers, should be least concerned about Skype since it's already been pushing data over calls beginning with the Evo.

Upvote 0
Why would anyone even need Skype anyways with Sprint? Free anymobile anytime! I tried skype and it seems its only true worth is on a PC. If you're on your mobile phone then just use your minutes. I can see the need for this type of app for verizon since they already charge a small fortune for anything they have. As for the iphone....let it go to verizon for goodness sakes. It belongs there! They overcharge for it and the plan for it on ATT, might as well jack it up some more and put it on Verizon.

Upvote 0
Why would anyone even need Skype anyways with Sprint? Free anymobile anytime! I tried skype and it seems its only true worth is on a PC. If you're on your mobile phone then just use your minutes. I can see the need for this type of app for verizon since they already charge a small fortune for anything they have. As for the iphone....let it go to verizon for goodness sakes. It belongs there! They overcharge for it and the plan for it on ATT, might as well jack it up some more and put it on Verizon.
Um, maybe because Skype is an already established cross platform VOIP program that would be ideal for video chatting? Plus you can Skype someone internationally for free on their computer.

Upvote 0
One thing I don't understand is what is stopping me from physically being able to install Skype on the Evo? I have never used Android before but from what I understand there is no centralized App store like I'm used to on the iPhone. Therefore someone with Verizon can just download skype from the "verizon section" and then upload the binary to some website where we can all get it for the EVO. Is this not possible?

Upvote 0
One thing I don't understand is what is stopping me from physically being able to install Skype on the Evo? I have never used Android before but from what I understand there is no centralized App store like I'm used to on the iPhone. Therefore someone with Verizon can just download skype from the "verizon section" and then upload the binary to some website where we can all get it for the EVO. Is this not possible?

There is a centralized app store: Google's App Market. Skype won't appear in the EVO's App Market.

Upvote 0

I downloaded the app to my Sprint Blackberry and the app said it would only work on a verizon phone

Reactions: neoanderz
Upvote 0
There is a centralized app store: Google's App Market. Skype won't appear in the EVO's App Market.

I read online that there are at least three different app stores for Android. Apparently the free structure allows anyone to just open up shop with their own store?? This is why I was thinking you don't need to use the App Market to install apps which is why I said there is no centralized store.

Upvote 0
I read online that there are at least three different app stores for Android. Apparently the free structure allows anyone to just open up shop with their own store?? This is why I was thinking you don't need to use the App Market to install apps which is why I said there is no centralized store.

No. There is one App Market, run by Google. The other App Markets are possible, but only exist on devices like the Archos tablets, which don't get access to Google's App Market.

Upvote 0
Google controls Android.

Google could have said NO to the exclusivity contract, since the DROID is a "Google Experience" device.

Dude, what? Do you know what you are talking about? The company that makes Skype is not Google and has nothing to do with Google. Skype signed the agreement with Verizon, not Google. Think before you speak, my friend.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones