EVO 4G back cover does not fit perfectly?Support

Last Updated:

1. stinkyz

stinkyz Member This Topic's Starter

Does anyone else have a problem with the back cover not being a perfect fit? I think it's a tiny bit too big or something... one of the edges pops up. Looking at it from the back, the right edge of the cover pops up about 0.6 millimeter. I can manage to push it down, but the edge on the other side would pop up instead to compensate. Eventually it would settle again, and the same right edge would pop up.

The cover is definitely on firmly, and all the latches inside are popped in properly. It's secure enough that it does not feel like the cover will come off by accident. I've tried removing the cover several times and closing again but still have this problem. I've also removed the battery. The cover is just a bit too wide for the phone itself.

I got the Best Buy Black Tie protection... I'm not sure if what is essentially a cosmetic issue is eligible for a replacement. I thought i could just live with it, but this blemishes what is otherwise the perfect phone experience for me. It just bugs me a bit whenever I hold this beautiful phone but feel the back edge popped up and not flush. I'm wondering if this is an issue with everyone else and whether i just have to live with it. Perhaps i can try purchasing another cover because this is a minor factory defect isolated to my cover... i really hope it's a not a weird manufacturing defect of the actual phone itself. That would bite.

I love this phone so much...

Advertisement
  2. Kingkoa

Kingkoa Well-Known Member

Mines seems fine

3. Aragorn

Aragorn Well-Known Member

stinkyz: I have the exact same issue. Annoying but not a dealbreaker for me.

4. blake247

blake247 Well-Known Member

Yup...I have the same issue on both of my Evos.

5. stinkyz

I just tried something that seems to help partially. I suspect that the back cover just has trouble maintaining its curved shape and therefore gets wider when it's flattened. This causes it to become slightly wider than the base so it squeezes out at the sides, making the edge popup.

So I took a paper napkin and folded into 8-plies, resulting in a rectangle that is just about the size of the battery. I laid this on top of the battery and put the cover back on. It cushions the battery and pushes back out against the center of the back cover, forcing an arch and creating the curve that i think it naturally wants. Voila -- this results in a 0.3 improvement in the popped edge. It's not perfect, but it's a little less annoying.

Try it out and see if it works for you.

This may all be moot if I ever put a case over this baby anyways. I always had my old iphone 3g encased in a hard shell and thought this phone was going to be different, especially since i got the Best Buy insurance... but i might change my mind sometime and throw a hard case over this too. I'm tempted slight by the fancy colors of the seidio shells.

virginia123 likes this.
  6. sean76

sean76 Well-Known Member

I'm suspecting every EVO probably has it. you'll get some people on here that'll say your nuts and there's fits better then a brand new white jockey v neck T Shirt....lol...There just not as anal as some of us...HTC deffinitly dropped the ball when creating battery covers for the incredible and EVO. Both are going to get semi loose over time....booooo, stuff like that drives me nuts.

Covert_Death likes this.
  7. blake247

blake247 Well-Known Member

Agreed.

8. stinkyz

If anyone gets a chance to try my napkin "hack", please let me know how it works out for you.

For the sake of disclosure, I hereby attest that I am not a napkin company rep :)

9. DJMatthews33

DJMatthews33 Member

I am a sprint rep so part of my job when I activate your sweet new phone is too put the battery in your phone....after the first couple phones I noticed that if i did not start from the bottom of the phone (ie. down by kickstand) that I would have that same issue of non-perfect fit with sides popping out. I would have said the issue is probably that you were probably one of my first few evo customers :p but since none of you look to be in the Austin area I think were safe. Hit thanks if that helps I just joined yesterday and could use some street cred!!!!!!!!!!

rockcrawler, surfologist87 and ap3604 like this.
  10. BetterMost

BetterMost Banned

Yea mine is a little gappy on the top end corners. HOWEVER the Incredible back fits and looks much worse. HTC really needs to do a better job on fit and finish on there handsets. All there handsets have a "beta" look about them.

11. marriedman624

marriedman624 Well-Known Member

I got two EVOs and my battery cover fits perfectly, but my wife's pops up on the right side as well. I noticed it the other day and tried to remove the cover and put it back on, didn't help. Also, I started from the bottom and worked my way up but the issue is still present.

12. ayman86

ayman86 Well-Known Member

im glad to know others have the same thing. now i have no need to worry about it

13. IPvFletch

IPvFletch Well-Known Member

Crazy! Mine fits great, but I like the idea of storing a spare napkin in there "just in case"! :D (sorry couldn't resist!!)

14. MrX8503

MrX8503 Well-Known Member

You're not crazy man. I'm about the most anal phone user you'll ever meet. If something is off by 1/10 a mm, I will notice.

The problem is that HTC is notorious for kinda, well, not paying that much attention to the back cover. The entire line of HTC Diamond, Touch Pro, Touch Pro2, has back door problems. With fitment issues, creaking and what not.

Its quite unfortunate that the King of Android phones still has that back door problem. To the poster who suggested the napkin fix, thats quite funny because I remember way back people suggest putting strips of scotch tape on the inside of their Touch Pro's back door.

Its pretty annoying that HTC still hasn't addressed this, but over time I just ignore it.

15. sean76

sean76 Well-Known Member

Mine is annoying the crap out of me...

16. dodgeram02

dodgeram02 Active Member

LOL I just posted the same damn thing earlier..mine does the same thing on the right side..I am going to be putting an Siedio innocase on it anyway..so I guess it wont matter then...beside that the rest of the phones seems fine..I did notice that the screen has a redish washed out tint to it..i have seen like 4 of these phone were i work at..an they are all the same..I really wish they could have used a better screen..but ohwell..I just have to get used to this BIG ASS SCREEN..damn

17. freeza

freeza Well-Known Member

luckily for me, mine is flawless

18. ktulu909

ktulu909 Member

Interestingly enough Ive had the Touch(2 of them),TP(3 of them),TP2(2 of them) ,and now the evo and they all fit perfectly.

19. Covert_Death

Covert_Death Well-Known Member

i think the mold is just off a bit... mine had the same issue so i removed the cover, put a pencil under the right side cure (along the axis the headphone port is with) and got it hot and bent it around the pencil, it didn't bend much, infact i couldn't even notice, but now it fits nice and flush... it was pretty annoying at first, i'll probably start using my seidio case soon so it will be worthless though lol

20. deepwat3r

deepwat3r New Member

Well I tried the "napkin hack" because I'm also anal enough to be bothered by the fit of the back cover, and it WORKS.

It's not perfect but it's good enough that I'm not constantly irritated by it. Thanks!

21. stinkyz

Glad it worked for you!

I upgraded my napkin-mod further, and am using 6-plies now. It seems to create an even better fit. At this point the entire right side is flush against the main phone body, with the exception of the top right corner still having a tiny bit of give when you press it. You can't visibly see a mis-fit there, but it's very subtle when you press against it.

Of course 6-plies applies only to the brand of paper napkin I use. You may require more or less folds.

To think that I almost took my Dremel to this.

I would take a picture of this mod with my EVO and post it here for directions, but that's proving to be a bit challenging. Need to discover a different napkin-hack for that one.

22. hayj

hayj Well-Known Member

Mine has the same issue and I thought there might be a chance I see this thread pop up. I'm tempted with the napkin hack but a bit concerned about heat and a paper product in the case. I wonder if this could mold it back into shape so the napkin doesn't have to be permanent. Anybody removed the napkin to see if it stays?

23. some.devil

some.devil Well-Known Member

I can't say I notice the .6mm blemish when there is a 4.3" screen on the other side.

24. hayj

hayj Well-Known Member

Well that worked. The napkin made everything perfectly flush. Thanks for that. Just wondering if there's a better, permanent solution, specifically a different material.

25. steveo24

steveo24 Active Member

i had the same problem. got it rs, then took it right over to sprint and they went in the back and gave me a new back cover that fit perfectly. they didnt even run my info or anything, so u might wanna give that a try;)