Evo 4g Camera App APK

1. TheCowGod

TheCowGod Well-Known Member

Here is the evo 4 camera app with the nice onscreen button. I installed the OTA yesterday and that was one of the things I misssed the most about frankenrom. So I decided to rip the camera app out of frankenrom and see if it would work with the OTA. Surprise it actually does!

I made a zip that is installable through clockwork recovery. Just download and put on the root of your sd card and update it from within clockwork. One thing to keep in mind is that you should probably backup the stock camera app to app.disabled or your sdcard so you can go back incase there is an issue.

I tested this on my phone and it worked fine, please let me know if you have any issues so I can try to fix it.

http://www.filedropper.com/evocamera

Old Instructions and file for manual installation:
    http://www.filedropper.com/htccamera

Boot into recovery and mount /system
    Move /system/app/HTCCamera.apk to /system/app.disabled/ just incase
    Then adb push HTCCamera.apk /system/app/
    Then adb reboot

If you have issues with the camera showing up after installation you will need to change the permissions of the .apk. You can do this through root explorer if you have it, just change the permissions to:
    You can also do this from a adb shell by typing:

Advertisement
    :
  2. roninld

roninld Well-Known Member

Sweet! I like the EVO Camera way better than the standard Incredible one.

Thanks. Going to try this.
  3. BreakTheStatic

BreakTheStatic Active Member

Didn't work for me using 8/26 2.2 leak.
  4. TheCowGod

Thats weird, that the same thing im running and it works fine...
    What happened? Force Close or something else?
  5. BreakTheStatic

Doesn't even show up as an app. When the oem apk is restored the camera appears again but the second i replace it with the evo one it just disappears totally. I tried doing it both via recovery and with root explorer (nand unlocked).
  6. TheCowGod

Maybe try clearing the cache for the camera? Are you sure it got pushed to the right directory?

Are you running the Odexed or DeOdexed version of the leak? This will only work on the DeOdexed version as there is no odex file for the replacement apk...
  7. jayno20

jayno20 Well-Known Member

What difference is there? Anyone have any screen shots?
  8. TheCowGod

Basically there is a button to take the picture rather than having to press the trackball or hold your finger on the screen. It makes it MUCH easier to take steady pictures that way. Also the metering seems to be a little better ie. not as many blown out areas of the image.
  9. jayno20

jayno20 Well-Known Member

any force closes or anything negatives to this?
  10. DIncmanDan

DIncmanDan Well-Known Member

This is great, thanks for being a genius!
  11. Spart

Spart Well-Known Member

Didn't work for me either..deodexed version, in the right directory, doesn't show up even though it's in the system/apps folder
  12. BreakTheStatic

Same Here. I also have deodexed in system/apps. I'm going to try clearing the data/cache today and will report back.
  13. yojoe600

yojoe600 Well-Known Member

been using this for a while on third wave but i had the one that is themed from evoelite theme
  14. TheCowGod

Hmm...
    Can anyone confirm that this is working other than me?
  15. patchnauty

patchnauty Well-Known Member

ok i must be a total newb. i cant get this to install. running a leaked 2.2 de oxed.
  16. kenshinxl

kenshinxl Member

Worked for me on the 8/26 deodexed r2 leak
  17. JustDroid

JustDroid Well-Known Member

Did not work for me on the Fourth Wave from Adrynalyne. Camera and Camcorder apps do not show up at all even after a reboot.
  18. ThatDudeButch

ThatDudeButch Member

damn mixed reviews
  19. TheCowGod

To the people who this works for are you running a custom kernel?
    It works fine on my phone, I am running the 8/26 leak deodexed with adrenalynes kernel.
  20. tmellen

tmellen Active Member

Doesn't work for me. Stock OTA, just rooted.

Apparently from all the posts here, it's only working for deodexed people.
  21. yojoe600

usually things like this require a de-odexed rom since its a de-odexed file
  22. johnbrain

johnbrain Well-Known Member

Could I uninstall stock camera with Titanium backup and install the evo apk with Astro? I know how to move files with adb but not push them
  23. yojoe600

if you have s-off you can install it over top or rename the old one
  24. kenshinxl

kenshinxl Member

I'm running kingxkernel BFS #1
  25. poolguy

poolguy Member

I had to change the permissions on the new apk before this would work. Used Root Explorer and basically changed the permissions to match the rest of the apks in system/app. Running Virtuous 2.3 w/stock kernel.