Evo 4G Looking Better and Better Than Droid X?

Last Updated:

1. Rigmaster

Rigmaster Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Looks like VZW is about to enter the world of tiered data with ATT. How's the unlimited 3G/4G on Evo looking right about now? Can't wait to see what happens as all these new superphones get released but cost an arm & leg to use. It's getting ridiculous, and I sense that it will take something dramatic for this to change (like how so many cable ISP and VOIP providers really destroyed traditional copper wire landline phone service more thoroughly than any gov-led or company-driven breakups).

Per the link (Verizon Wireless eyeing tiered data service | Wireless - CNET News)

Anyone else see a wave of VZW defectors who are probably already at/close to the wallet breaking point? Probably would have even made more sense had VZW been able to tout having CDMA iPhone 4 first.

Advertisement
  2. THEFORCE

THEFORCE Well-Known Member

Sprint really needs to advertise the unlimited part

3. zamardii12

zamardii12 Well-Known Member

It's entirely possible Sprint will go this route too in the future. However, I think more than 95% of users don't go over the capped data usage so people will not think much about it... although I really don't understand why all of a sudden this is starting to happen with carriers. The only reason I can think of is more and more people are buying smart phones, but at the same time you would think the carrier would try and accommodate the customer as opposed to setting restrictions to the customer.

If someone uses their phone for data during the day, but also uses the phones for tethering to their laptop, then they will have a problem with that data cap but for most people it won't be a problem.

4. Rigmaster

Sprint should avoid this especially if it wants to make headway. Avg users don't hit 2G because phones have been limiting factor. Not so going forward. Sprint can hike prices ATB, leave unlimited and still make plenty of $.

5. sagedil

sagedil Well-Known Member

I have used 250 MB in 3 days. Just surfing, no streaming. So yes, any data cap would be very expensive for me.

6. freeza

freeza Well-Known Member

I hate Verizon with a dying passion

7. Joppie

Joppie Well-Known Member

In the past, cell phones just made calls. Now people text more than they talk. With the proliferation of dual cameras and new apps, video-chat will become the norm on smartphones. That's a helluva lot more data than texts and carriers know this. They're putting themselves in position to make the most profit off of consumers who will undoubtedly take advantage of the new "thing" in mobile communication.

One forum member here already posted about the EVO replacing his laptop. Faster connections attract more users. Think of the mass exodus that occurred when people went from dial-up to broadband. Same thing will happen with 4G. Just my opinion (based on history and current industry trends), but I get paid to think this way. :D

8. Rigmaster

I've used .6GB in 10 days, and the first 5 days I barely used the phone. I'm thinking about 1-2GB every week now that I've gotten the phone set up. I haven't done any video, streaming, radio, photography, or MMS-ing yet either so unlimited will definitely make sense. Basic texting, phoning, some web browsing that's been about 70% done on wifi but could easily have been done on 3G, and World Cup on Sprint TV is all it took to rack up .5GB. Still haven't video called or anything heavy-duty yet.

I would never do this a tiered plan so I hope Sprint does not follow that trend ever.