Evo 4g no contract usable??

Last Updated:

1. anonymouz1828

anonymouz1828 Active Member This Topic's Starter

Hi,

Hmmm .. I have a 2-year contract with att, and it will terminate by end of November 2010. I am planing to buy EVO 4G HTC without contract this coming June. When att contract terminates, I will switch to sprint.

Can I use EVO 4G without a contract? Can I access the app market, wifi, music, camera, etc. without a contract? If Sprint release a firmware update OTA to the HTC EVO, can I update without contract?? I know gsm phone need a dummy sim card to have full access to phone menu and etc., but I dont about cdma phone.

Thanks

Advertisement
  2. KiLo11

KiLo11 Well-Known Member

new customets always need contract

3. anonymouz1828

4. clambert1273

clambert1273 Well-Known Member

no .. without a network you won't be able to access any internet function... the out of contract pricing is just that - for individuals that do not have an upgrade at the time of release and want to purchase the phone...

You can buy it now - but you will get nothing out of it.

5. Bales

Bales Well-Known Member

From what I understand, the phone only price is not a contract free price. I believe you have to have an existing contract to get the phone at that price.

anonymouz1828 likes this.
  6. RiverOfIce

RiverOfIce Banned

Ok we need to separate two terms. Yes you can buy it with out a contract. But you will need to have sign up for service. It will be month to month. There is a difference between, phone service and contract. Phone service, the month to month bill, does not require a two year contract. The 2 year contract will allow you a deep discount on the phone and gives you phone service. Your best bet is to stay with Att until November, then hunt around for a new phone. There will be a bunch of new ones out by then, Including the Aava.

7. anonymouz1828

Thanks for the reply!! Ouch, I dont feel optimistic for EVO 4G release .. wait till December will kill me. Unless, I pay for two services until November.

Hmmm .. for the internet, could not I just use wifi for the moment? The no contract EVO 4G was intended for movies, music, and wifi till November.

8. Bales

Bales Well-Known Member

Whats stopping someone from canceling their service if they aren't on contract? Couldn't they buy the phone, sign up for service, then cancel?

9. Roman G.

Roman G. No-Posting Probation

Yes you can use the phone just fine without a contract for all but making calls.

There is so much debate about this it's not funny.

Just to clarify to everyone, don't expect to buy the phone out of contract and expect sprint to give you month to month contract, because YMMV:D

Edit:
    No offense to you river of ice, but people really need to stop spreading this lie or rumor or whatever it is, it's just not true, and will lead to a lot of pissed of people.

10. anonymouz1828

AWESOME!! Hmm .. in my situation, I want to be no contract and no service till November 2010. Hopefully, this is possible. Without contract and service, can I update the firmware still?? - just in case sprint or google release a new update to fix some bugs.

11. Roman G.

Roman G. No-Posting Probation

I am honestly not sure about the update side of things, but if anything you could just wait until someone posts the update and download it from there.

Hope it helps ya, and welcome to android:D