EVO 4g or Samsung Galaxy S????

Last Updated:

1. ilaofficial

ilaofficial Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I know this is a hardcore pro EVO 4g crowd but I'm not a fanboy of any phone they don't pay my bills...actually I pay theirs so I'm not swayed either way. My question is this if you live in a non-4g area like Los Angeles which phone do you go with?

Samsung Galaxy S has:
    4 inch display Super AMOLED
    16 gigs internal plus microsd card
    front and back camera
    3.5G in LA moving on to HSDPA+
    BIGGEST THING THOUGH IS THE HUMMINGBIRD PROCESSOR 3XS THE SPEED OF THE SNAPDRAGON

EVO 4G:
    .3 bigger display but TFT
    1gig internal
    4g but I live in LA
    front and back camera but the Samsung has this too

Anything else I should know?

Advertisement
  2. SprintFun

SprintFun VIP Member VIP Member

L.A. should be getting 4G very soon, FYI.

I'd go with the Evo, because basically I don't know what carrier is getting it. If it's AT&T like its rumored then ehhhh I'll pass.

And the Hummingbird isn't 3 times the speed of a snap dragon - it has three times the graphical processing power because it has a dedicated GPU (I believe). Nothing on Android will take advantage of it, so it's a non-factor to me. Have you seen the games on Android?

3. aaronscool

aaronscool Active Member

I wouldn't shoot down the Galaxy yet though I haven't seen near enough details to know how good or bad it may be compared to the EVO.

1. Certainly I'd prefer an AMOLED screen to TFT so I may have an edge there.
    2. Internal storage is really just icing on the cake for me. Memory is cheap and unless it's in the 60+ gig range I'll be swapping cards in/out anyway.
    3. 3.5G isn't really testing out to be any faster than 3G. I believe only TMo is implementing it which would potentially answer which carrier this is going to but I don't believe AT&T is doing anything on 3.5G stuff.

4. chriscrasto

chriscrasto Well-Known Member

^ This

The dedicated GPU is better for gaming but as he said, gaming isn't really great on android it seems like more of a feature that's cool but you don't need because you can't use it. Also, since the cpu and gpu are separated, it uses more battery life.

I would go with EVO because, I live in Houston with 4G and you will get it soon 4G is amazing! The screen on the EVO is bigger and since it is TFT instead of super amoled it should be a cheaper phone. Also has a larger battery if I'm not mistaken? And no I don't think the galaxy S has a front facing camera. It also has a 5MP vs the EVO's 8MP camera.

The other thing is the software. Sure the screen looks great and the interface is smooth but I just don't see the amazing ammount of support that the EVO is getting for this device. I don't like the samsung interface, Sense UI is the best interface for android hands down. Also, the EVO will be getting Froyo a few weeks after release if it doesn't already come with it.

5. legacy

legacy Well-Known Member

I agree with what the posters above have said. I think you'll be getting 4G sooner than you think, and would kick yourself for not getting the faster phone. I drool over the screen, but the rest of the hardware is unproven (unlike the snapdragon processor). Do you really need 48gigs (total) that the Samsung would be capable of?

Also, after owning an Iphone since 2G, I'm SICK of dropping calls on AT&T, and I'm pretty sure that the Galaxy is going to be on AT&T (at least at first). None for me, thanks.

6. ilaofficial

Thanks guys the new specs on the Galaxy S are out...the battery is the same as the EVO 4g, it DOES have a front facing camera and a LED Flash in the back...I am on T-mobile the 3.5g is a major difference with my n900.

Damn it the only thing I worry about is the battery life of the EVO 4g TFT is not the best energy saver with batteries.

7. Android 17

Android 17 Well-Known Member

Did the flash just get added? It did not have it when first shown.

8. legacy

legacy Well-Known Member

Have you ever owned a Samsung phone before? If you haven't, talk to some previous owners. We had a BlackJack II, and it would take a LOT of good reviews for me to EVER buy another. Don't get me wrong, I love my Sammy TV and computer monitor, but for cell phones...

9. Autosuggestion

Autosuggestion Well-Known Member

Have fun with your 2 hours of battery life.

10. ilaofficial

I own a Samsung tv and monitor love them but never had a phone...Flash was added recently.

@Autosuggestion 2 hours of battery for which phone? EVO or Sammy?

11. ekt8750

ekt8750 Well-Known Member

Also keep in mind that all four carriers are getting the Galaxy S at one point or another.

12. ilaofficial

Yeah I heard that the Galaxy S would be on all providers but Clearwire is releasing quite a few 4g phones with the EVO being the first.

13. HTC是ichiban

HTC是ichiban Well-Known Member

i only support HTC as a company. screw all other companys. also does the galaxy have the same front and back camera? how about megapixels? how abotu HDMI out?

actually, i don't care. i will never buy a samsung

14. djdisturbed

djdisturbed Well-Known Member

I Love sanmung, There TV's are great and I love My Clothes Washer and Dryer i recently got made by them.......... BUT IMHO I would rather have a phone from a "phone" company not from a all home appliance AND computer company

15. aaronscool

aaronscool Active Member

Really? So far the reports I've seen is that real world performance has not been great for 3.5G, hence why most carriers are leapfrogging straight to their 4G implementations

16. Autosuggestion

Autosuggestion Well-Known Member

Galaxy S.

Separate CPU and GPU = ughhh

17. Caloy

Caloy Well-Known Member

For me 4G with tethering is what attracted me to the Evo, though the Processor and Screen of the Galaxy is tempting, I think I'll go with the Evo for the moment. But if the Galaxy for sprint comes out first, I might be tempted to go with the Galaxy. It's about time to change my 5 year old phone, and dog gone it, it should be the best if it was to last another 5 years for me. :)

18. neodorian

neodorian Well-Known Member

I like the larger screen and I prefer HTC's shell better than Samsung's. 4G being only on Evo settles it for me at least.

19. HTC是ichiban

anyone got pictures of this thing? haven't even seen it yet. don't feel like researching up the details either

20. Caloy

Caloy Well-Known Member

HTC是ichiban likes this.
  21. neodorian

neodorian Well-Known Member

That screen is gorgeous but the launcher looks like an iPhone and I don't like their widgets as much as Sense.

22. DILands

DILands Well-Known Member Contributor

Since a lot is actually rumors/speculation, isn't is possible that the Galaxy S (Pro) will be 4G also?

23. aaronscool

aaronscool Active Member

Not likely unless this phone is headed to Sprint and they want to do a bunch of customized coding for the radio.

24. HTC是ichiban

thanks for the video, but it's definitely not as eye catching as the evo. they tried hard

25. mrk

mrk Well-Known Member

The only things I really like about the phone are, in order of importance:

-The screen. My god, the screen.
    -16GB internal storage + microSD. Yesplz.
    -The thinness. Damn.

Too bad that the overall design is ugly, and the skinned OS looks like trash.