EVO 4g price looking hopeful?

Last Updated:

1. Covert_Death

Covert_Death Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

so now that the incredible price has been released as 199 on contract, i think it would be fair to say that the EVO will also be 199-250 on contract, they are very comparible phones, slightly larger screen, hdmi out, 4g connection may justify another 50 but 250 on contract for a phone that stellar is not a bad deal at all...

do you all think the incredible price will influence the EVO 4g price since they seem to be competeing phones for each carrier?

Advertisement
  2. dylan88

dylan88 Well-Known Member

the rumor for price is $200-$250. that was going to be the price whether there is an incredible or not. so i dont think the incredible affects it much. compared the the evo, the incredible is a waste of money. and with all the features of the evo, i think $250 is a steal

3. cvam1985

cvam1985 Well-Known Member

I'm still not convinced the price will be what we're all hoping for. There's quite a bit of "firsts" on the EVO - first with 4g, first with HDMI, first with front-facing cam...

4. neodorian

neodorian Well-Known Member

There are plenty of "firsts" but very few phones are priced over $199-249 with new contract these days. It's a mental sticking point and people have trouble justifying it even if you consider how often you use the thing or the $30-40 you save per month on Sprint versus Verizon or AT&T.

Not saying I wouldn't pay more (paid like $450 for my Pre since I wasn't eligible yet) but they will make more if they get lots of new subs versus tacking on another $50-100 to the handset price.

5. cvam1985

cvam1985 Well-Known Member

I'm not gonna be eligible to upgrade but will be purchasing at retail. Which is why I'm particularly worried.

But I do see your point. My guess is 249.99 after 100 mail-in.

6. cabbie

cabbie Well-Known Member

im taking the over. i think $299.

7. Berner

Berner Well-Known Member

Sprint needs to sell contracts, not phones. They're gonna subsidize the hell out of this phone.

8. Roddy

Roddy Well-Known Member

I think 250 is the highest i will go.. If its over 250 im just gonna get the Moment! (2.1)

9. secretmethod70

secretmethod70 Well-Known Member

Yeah, I doubt it'll be more than $250. I'm really looking forward to this phone, but I'll have to seriously reconsider if it's over $250. Even $250 is a stretch, but something I can justify. $200-250 is definitely the sweet spot.

10. dylan88

dylan88 Well-Known Member

250 is a steal people!! look at the features!!

11. secretmethod70

secretmethod70 Well-Known Member

It is, but that doesn't change what people can and can't afford. As others have noted, it's better for Sprint to take a hit on the phone but get more new customers (like me) with the Evo, rather than sell the Evo for a higher price and convert fewer people. There's are going to be significantly fewer people interested in the Evo if it's more than $250. $199 is really the best price, but whether that's reasonable really depends on exactly how much Sprint is paying HTC to make the phones.

12. Camslam

Camslam Well-Known Member

I would tend to agree with this. As I have been looking at going with the EVO and switching from Verizon over to Sprint, I have had a tough time finding "glowing" reports/opinions/comments about Sprint and its network. The best I have seen is that they are better than they used to be.

I don't think they would be doing all the stuff that is making them attractive to me in the first place if they didn't need to draw subscribers and customer base.

1. Offering arguably top smart phone available.
    2. Best 30 day guarantee of any carrier out there.
    3. 1 year upgrades for those carrying a plan of at least $69.99 I think.
    4. $69.99 for unlimited everything except to land lines, including text, broadband, and voice calls.

They may go up to $250, but I think even that is going to be tough to get a major pull to the network when they are competing with Verizon and the Incredible at $199 and a moderately more expensive phone plan.

We'll see, I'm hoping for the best, because if Sprint's service checks out in my area, (actual testimonials, not company created coverage map :) ), it is going to be tough to justify going with Verizon with their more expensive plans, and the Incredible with no specs that exceed or beat the EVO.

I'm hoping Sprint discounts the crap out of it! :) One can always hope.

13. gabbott

gabbott Well-Known Member

At release I think it'll be $249.99 after any rebates and whatnot, but would be nice if it was more like $200.

14. Eguy

Eguy Well-Known Member

Same here. It will most likely be $250. If they want to REALLY compete, they would price it at $200 or below, but I just don't think that is going to happen.

15. methos123

methos123 Member

It will be $199.00 with rebate....end of story. :)

16. Lovingthesonic

Lovingthesonic Well-Known Member

I just hope its $199 with a new 2yr contract.

17. neodorian

neodorian Well-Known Member

That's the thing. They have an undeserved reputation. Part of this is because they are an old carrier and people don't forget bad experiences even if they are 6 or 7 years old. Part of this is because their competitors focus on advertising their network. While I won't claim Sprint has as extensive a network as Verizon, they dwarf AT&T in 3G coverage but all you hear on TV is Verizon and AT&T.

Honestly do what you think is best as it's your money and I don't own Sprint stock :p I just hate to see people pay too much based on some brand loyalty or hearsay. Honestly the best thing you can do is get a phone on a 30-day trial and see how coverage is in your area. If it sucks then there is no way you should use them but if it is good you will save $30-40 per month over a comparable plan.

18. SoFLO

SoFLO Guest

I'm still sticking with $299...I'd rather aim too high than aim too low :p

19. gabbott

gabbott Well-Known Member

Would be nice if you are right!

20. acp

acp Well-Known Member

since we already discussed this pretty thoroughly in the other pricing thread, I'm going to approach this a bit differently.

those of you saying more than $199

1. do you believe this is due to Sprint failing at business logic and they just don't get it?

2. do you think the Evo is just that much better than the HD2, Incredible and iPhone HD to warrant a $50 or $100 higher price tag?

3. do you believe $249 - $299 will not discourage people from purchasing the Evo on Sprint?

21. dan330

dan330 Well-Known Member

you can not compare prices in other networks...
    iphone is tied to a more expensive service plan.. so they can afford to give more price discount on the phone!

You have to look at what is available at sprint now to gauge a price..

HTC Touch Pro 2
    what is the price for this device??

my guess is that the EVO will replace the TP2 seat in the flagship price. Then the TP2 will be lowered.

22. acp

acp Well-Known Member

the TP2 has a GSM radio and CDMA radio, not to mention this phone never had chance at mainstream, so I think comparing the Evo to the TP2 is a mistake. I think you actually have to look at the Pre or Hero on Sprint, but more towards the Pre because it seems like that phone was supposed to be Sprint's savior and it was meant for mainstream, not a niche market like the TP2, which seems to be the direction of the Evo it is meant to directly compete with the iPhone just like the Pre.

23. Caloy

Caloy Well-Known Member

$250 is my budget for a phone. If that goes over $250, either I'll go with the Samsung Moment or just stay with T-Mobile and get the HD2 for $150.

HD2 was a hit simply because T-Mobile has priced it correctly at $199. And at T-Mobile site, they are still "temporarily out of stock". I can only imagine how much new business T-Mobile has acquired simply by pricing the phone just right. :)

And now you can get the HD2 at Radio Shack for $150 w/ a two year contract.

EDIT: Oh yeah, another phone that I might consider if the Evo proved to be above my budget is the N1 for T-Mobile.

24. awayne

awayne Well-Known Member

Like other have said, sprint needs to sell contracts not phones.

The number of customers they have lost over the years is very VERY huge. I want to say at one time they were losing something like 8 postpaid customers a min or something that crazy.

I still think it will be priced at $199 after all rebates and such.

25. So-Low Da Don

So-Low Da Don Well-Known Member

To me it doesn't matter if its 200 or 500 with a contract, I'm gettin it!!