• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

EVO 4g Successor EVO 3D (BSOD Thread)

jdsingle

Android Expert
Jul 25, 2010
I thought we should maybe put all of BSOD posts into one single post so people can read what is going on. Especially since that thread is for features wanted in the EVO 2 and not what we think it is. Feel free to delete if needed Mods. His posts had me too excited in that thread to keep my head on straight. My chances at studying for my exams are shot now lol. I hope you don't mind BlueScreen having this all in one post. I thought it would help keep things from getting scattered and having multiple questions asked. As stated, feel free to delete Mods.

EarlyMon, Black Dynamite, and Drexappeal had a huge contribution to that thread. And last but not least, BSOD.

Oh, and to the 5+ threads asking whether or not you should get an EVO now...read all of this and then decide.

Well it's hard to believe that it's almost another year but here we are. Seems like yesterday I was working the wee hours of the night to put the fit and finishing touches on the wimax radio/making sure qik would play nice with wimax. Then the gold copying of 4G enabled hotspot during the eleventh hour before sending off to Sprint (Good Times). I felt it was time to chime in again and answer some of the pressing questions about EVO 3d. I would like to first congratulate everyone that has been so critical to EVO’s success in providing information/tips/tricks etc on the Android Forums EVO 4G threads. I know my company has been reading that thread like a religious book since EVO was referred to a Supersonic. Everything that was EVO and is EVO today is being put into what you the fans want in your EVO of tomorrow. Your knowledge and your talent inspired us to create the best EVO (We hope) ever.
Since I am a fan of the site, I want to share with you information that hasn't been released yet and information that I've been given the green light to release to the thread.
Start off by saying it is a "HTC EVO 3D and 4G" and not "LG" Yes gingerbread and something has not been mentioned Sense UI 2.0 Finally when your EVO is propped up on It's kickstand it will automatically go into landscape on all window screens.
The one thing that you guys talked about was full hdmi out. I admit we got robbed on that one. The price you pay for being first. I didn’t have anything to do with that one, but I would admit to be a bit impressed a phone was able to play a movie on a HDTV a year ago. “Orrebmas” your efforts did ping our radar. I am sure you will find nothing but fortunes on the android market with that fine software. Full HDMI will no longer be an issue. We ran it, tested it, on HDTV’s and 3DHDTV’s. Games, google, pictures, 3DPOV, and yes 3d movies all look awesome right out of the box.
Answer one of the more recent questions yes the new EVO will have a kickstand. I guess that was answered up above, but the new kickstand will be beefier and contoured to the back side of the case. The curved kickstand will allow the EVO to stand better at attention if you will. HTC logo will be on the back like the original EVO, but EVO 3D will be lithographed on the kickstand metal as well. Smart move cause with your protective cover on and the phone face down. Nobody could tell what phone it was. Now they will.
I know there was some flak on the recent GLBenchmarks and we caught hell for it around here as well. I just wanted to let you know that fit and finish on that has been polished out. Memory allocation was only single set data stream and we have now been able to utilize duel data stream with a bump in memory clock speeds. I guess you could use the analogy of SDRAM compared to DDRAM.
Scorpion chip set is very OC friendly; I can’t say what we were able to overclock the cpu’s to. Please no question on that one. I can say that we were able to almost double our GLbench scores with just the memory fix though.
The larger battery is the real. I can’t say what the final battery size is though. I can say from 8am to 6pm under stress test no need to plug in.
HTC EVO 3D does have two processors, which everyone here has seen on GLBenchmark site (Who Knew!) Important thing to mention is they take up less real estate then a single snapdragon processor die..Clue on power consumption.

I guess the last one that guys might like to know is that the front facing camera, is not 1.3mp. The one we have in house is 3mp. The back ones can’t be discussed right now, but they do have some cool tricks other than stereoscopic.

I always felt that it would be a cold day in you know what before I turn my EVO over specially after all the customization, ROMS, Tweaking, Benchmarking, and showing my 4.3in screen size to Apples boy like screen size. Update! All those tweaks, they will work on the new EVO with very little effort. Devs can rejoice.

Lastly, the battery form factor is interchangeable, but you are not going to need to though.

I’ll stop in from time to time. I have no clue on release date. I have to admit that one does make me laugh. I remember the original EVO release date was publicly announced and we still had gold work left. It was unlimited OT for almost a month straight. I have to say we did understand what the fans wanted and the time line they wanted it in, but it was/is a product we believed in. I think most can agree we crammed in a good amount fun factor considering it was a year ago. EVO still is one of the finest phones in the market, heck in the world for that matter. I know the same effort is going to be expected by all companies involved this time around too. Please keep putting up your wish list of items, doesn’t mean it’s going to happen, but doesn’t mean we can’t squeeze it in (Somehow) Enjoy the show.
Cheers,
BSOD(>-_0<)

@EarlyMon The form factor is almost identical to that of the original EVO accept for few features. The screen is mainly just touch screen. There is no room for the HTC emblem or Sprint at the top of the device, but there is still the EVOish metal grill. EVO 3D feels heavier and that could be attributed to battery. The data ports and jacks are still located at the top and bottom. The EVO 3D is more at home in landscape mode with the kickstand out. I can't go into dimensions, but it's an improvement.

@L8AGIN BGR was close but not quite. There is a twist on how things work inside and hence the lack luster/accidental posting of GLbenchmarks. It is std affair 1gig RAM and 4gig ROM, with cavet. Depending on the needs of the 2nd processor and software applications 4gig ROM will act like RAM. This takes a bit of hardware/software trickery, but it is working. Clock speeds can't discuss, but this too has proven to be OC friendly. I guess you could look at as tri-channel memory like a higher end tri channel memory configuration in a WinVista/Intel 1366DDRAM setup. 1gig RAM will stay Dual Channel, Until the need for Tri-Channel then ROM becomes RAM. So while they will be classified as 4gigs of ROM, Physically speaking there really RAM Silicon. This is a first in the industry, but saves alot on real estate this way. Hope that helps to clear that up. Good luck to a blogsite trying to describe it. It's new hear, but really cool, and pretty sensible.
BSOD (>-_0<)

I wanted to express my appreciation to all who have been posting with excellent ideas/concerns with respect to next generation EVO. The show will answer most of the burning question out there, but remember, the cat is not out of the bag yet! So keep up with your wish list as we did with the original EVO almost a year ago. I am positive we will be working on fit and finish until launch day.
I am still packing spread sheets, data reports, and presentation for the big show. I am sure you all can understand this is a busy time. I'll be away for a bit during that period. I'll still throw out some bites from my EVO 4G of course, but were confident the show will have most of the important questions answered.

I will be focusing more on the technical aspects. There is no way a person could stand on stage and talk about DLNA for 20+min. and cover other important aspect of the device.

Let's quash some rumors up front. The screen will be 4.3in Qhd 3d screen. The actual form factor of the EVO 3d will measure up a bit smaller. Good thing for those still wearing jeans with small pockets. We couldn't shrink the over all size that much, because we understand that people want protective cases and we didn&#8217;t want this to interfere with the touch screen. The feeling is we have a good balance, where you guys feel as though it's just one big screen in your hand, but very portable. I can say it works really well when playing around with the 3D camera's. Move the camera's in and out when video recording a person face, it does an excellent job of making the face appear as though it is protruding out of EVO 3D's qhd screen. (Weird, especially if it's Dan H)

Big news that nobody is talking about is DLNA and DRM.
DRM: EVOtees have been clammering for Netflix, Hulu, and Blockbuster. You all know that it&#8217;s been slow going due to DRM issues. This will not be the case with EVO 3D. Scorpion chipset and some back door work not only enabled this, but polished to a point of being effortless. DRM validation is instantaneous. You go to your favorite Digital content provider, handshakes with DRM on your EVO 3D and your done. Login to your account, your streaming! I thought it was a load of you know what with original EVO. Original EVO will have this feature as well.

DLNA: This technology has been out for some time, but I feel sense UI 2.0 has been able to put the polish it needs to shine. The DRM issue resolved, DLNA will not only allow for digital content to stream to EVO 3D, but to any DLNA certified HDTV/PC monitor/DLNA Mobile device. I am sure your asking what does that mean and how does it apply to us? (Example) Sitting in a local coffee shop, your friend is sporting HTC View tab and you HTC EVO 3D. You ask if your friend has seen this movie.(No) You say start up HTC Media Link and we can check out together. Both of you are watching the same movie on your "OWN" device having a cup of Joe.
HTC Media link will be incorperated in both View and EVO. So far we have tested and ran. 720p/1080p/BMP/GIF/JPEG/XVID/3GP/WMV/MPEG4/H.263/H.264 video formats and Audio: WMA/AAC/MP3/ACC+
So far we are just working on the GUI for improved user interface. Functionality certified, and expected at launch.

Root: I know there is concern out there that "I don't want to have to root my EVO to do XYZ" Every effort is being made to include everything possible up front for EVO 3D right out of the box. (Netflix, Hulu, Full hdmi mirroring, and HTC Media Link) I still need acknowledge Dev community. They have not only kept EVO 4G fresh, vibrant, but more importantly relevant. We want to respect the efforts of the DEV community and honor why android OS is about choice. That is why EVO 3D will not be shipping with a boot loader lock.

Bluetooth: larger library, we herd, we listen, and we going to deliver. (fingers crossed) We are in the process of setting up a library targeting specifically for k/b, mouse, and yes game pads. I mentioned in an early post w/new sense UI 2.0 EVO 3D will be more at home than ever in landscape mode. We have simultaneously used bluetooth k/b mouse combo with DLNA in the back ground. You can look up Netflix movies w/mouse/kb and stream it to DLNA HDTV. We&#8217;ve been listening.

I know on the thread somebody mentioned they would like more on board memory cause XYZ phone has 16gig on board memory. Cost is important factor to consider, because we know we need to make EVO 3D appealing to everyone. Most devices with a 16gig, 32gig, have the option of a removable sdcard. DRM improvements has allowed us to enhance app2sd. Once again, were early in the game as silicon improves, it's a simple matter of swapping out die's. So there is a potential of improvement, if we can do it, and keep cost to the consumer in mind, it will happen. I am sure you all have herd of 128gig sdcard and were working on getting that implemented for original EVO through either the Dev community or OTA. EVO 3D can't talk about that.

fps lock: Not on EVO 3D. Dual core processors, larger battery, more efficient Adreno GPU made this a non issue.

Last but not least, on a lighter note, EVO 3D printing money? Not in our life time! Sprint does have some great programs supporting EVO 3D, like $125 dollars off to port over a new cell number, premier customer program, and mail in rebate. That is about as close EVO 3D will get to printing money! (Enjoyed YouTube Clip too.)
Now it&#8217;s time for a fine scotch/cigar and catch a plane in the morning.
Enjoy the show! Cheers,
[FONT=&quot]BSOD(>-_0<)[/FONT]

@Sgt. Slaughter, EVO 3D won't be locked down. Expect that to be fully announced at CTIA. I come to appreciate what the dev community brings to the table. Every effort is expected that EVO is more about Evolving and keeping up with the rapid change in technology. Single enitity/corperation cannot keep pace with millions of brilliant minds coming together and inventing something new almost every month. I understand/appreciate it and plan to keep that with in our corporate culture.
I understand the confusion factor in screen dimensions. 4.3in diameter is the max for consumer tolerance for people looking for portability in a cell phone. It's important to understand there is a need for people wanting larger screen size and we feel the tab market will meet that part of consumer demand. More importantly we feel a synergy between the two will need to be met. EVO 3D and EVO View will bridge that gap and meet the demands in more ways then one.

DLNA specs are public knowledge, but 802.11n is most definitely supported, and bandwidth can't be discussed. DNLA has affective radius over 100ft and transmit through walls unimpeded.

NFC is a vital part to EVO 3D.
I hope that helps with your questions.
BSOD(>-_0<)

@SamuraibigEd, Between 4.3in and 7in Capcitive touch display there is no market/manufacture that could meet or beat our needs on the next obvious step in technology. Some would argue why, would I purchase a tab when EVO is only 2.7in smaller than a 7in tab. Since, we are talking about cell phone, we leaned more on the side on quality and not quantity. Quantity brings up whole new issue with battery life/portability. Tab devices are not asked to be the swiss army knife to the extent cell phones are. (4G/3G/Wifi/Hotspot/GPS/HD Vid Recorder/10mp camera/Vid Chat/3D Video/3D pic/Wireless Digital Content streaming/hdmi/NFC/ this all required a delicate balancing act. The new form factor gives the new EVO screen the appearance of being larger than what is. Hope that help.

@original100, Yes, we addressed it on EVO 3D and resolved w/ manufacturer/tweaks. The new battery will still be red. I would like to say "this" EVO is low on juice, but it's not. Getting much needed rest before touching down. Once again tune into all online sites and enjoy the show.
BSOD(>-_0<)

Wow, seems like were creating quite buzz today. I haven't even had a chance to show up yet, and we are still a day away from announcing anything. I want to ensure people that there is going to be no thunder, spot light, and anything of the sort to be taken away from EVO 3D, EVO View, Nexus S 4G, and a few others to be announced.

I think it is time to kick things up a notch though. I predicted EVO 3D would have some folks asking themselves what the hell? I think will move into a next phase called industry first.

I will have to correct myself on a earlier post about EVO 3D and 10mp camera. I don't know if it is going to be a correction, but clarification. I will go into that later.

First:
1) HTC EVO 3D will isolate twin cameras to produce the firsts 180 degree panoramic photo at 5mp resolution. (Option will be in sense UI)
2) HTC EVO will produce the first ever 10mp photo on cell phone by using what is called paralax photo capture (each camera will capture an image and over lay it to produce 10mp photo) (Once again tap on 10mp photo)
3) Light sampling will be independent of each CMOS sensor to produce what will be close to night vision capture (Night Owl)
4) EVO 3D Hollywood, EVO 3D is only device on the market with next generation Qualcomm processor's with built in DRM. EVO 3D will support all digital streaming content (Netflix, Hulu, and other independent sites with DRM subscriptions.)
5) YouTube 3D part of the EVO 3D Hollywood pack.
6) True 4G, EVO 3D will be the industry first (LTE+WimaX) device. Sprint has plans for all 4G devices to be backwards compatible and be able to support (Wimax+LTE) (Shift/Epic/EVO/etc.)
7) Will be the first none Nexus device to launch with Google 2.3.3 Gingerbread.
8) Worlds first qHD 3D display on a 4.3in screen (Pixel Density Classified)
9) Industry first dual channel 1gig DDRRAM and with active 4gig tri-channel ROM (5gig total Ram with unlimited ROM as SDcard will act as more like a HD drive)
10) That is just a few of the industry first that will be presented on EVO 3D launch.
There will be no thunder stolen, no spot light stolen, and no industry first stolen from HTC EVO 3D gram for gram this is undisputed superphone.

We will over clock the cpu, gpu, and memory to a point of embarrassment. Scorpion has had no problems testing at 2.0ghz, Andrenio x2 clocks, memory 50% clock. I know this would come at a cost to battery life, but larger battery will handle it better then current EVO. A phone launching the same time as EVO 3D will be irrelevant for at least one year. I think it best for companies to slow there roll and go with the flow and stay stock for the time being.
I wanted to launch EVO 3D July 4th for obvious reasons, but now it will be in June in celebration of EVO 4G one year anniversary.

VP of one company/Chairman of another company/Fellow of IEEE/Phd. Mathematics /Phd. Computer Science /Phd. Plasma Physics /US Naval Pilot (5 Tours in Afghanistan and Iraq)
Regards,
BSOD

while we did spring for a Carl Z lens, we should have paid closer attention to the CMOS sensor and it's ability to capture photons (light particles) to increase night snap shots and high speed photos. Once again we did here the complaints/concerns and the Android Market came to the rescue by means of the talented people to get the most out of Original EVO 8mp camera.

There is so many first with this EVO as with the Original. The one that failed to mention is another first in the world and another Sense UI 2.0 exclusive.
1) Camera will have a Sport mode, the 5mp camera's will function in tandem, but alternate. Each camera will burst alternately and provide crystal clear photography on high speed action events. (11 fps) I have tested this out and watch a 20ft putt go in the hole in frame, by frame increments. To be upfront burst sport mode will only work in 2d mode for obvious reasons, because the two cameras are sharing the load@5mp.
2)Another industry first as the Original EVO it will have dual LED flash. EVO 3D will be the first phone to have dual cameras and dual LED flash.
3)EVO 3D will not have lower pixel density as dual 5mp cameras will work in tandem to produce worlds first 10mp 2D photo ever.
4)Explained before, night photos w/o flash is twice of the original EVO.
Cheers,
BSOD(>-_0<)

* LED notification is still located underneath a new brushed aluminum grill and we wanted to stay true to the Original EVO and keep the LED lights same. I have been keeping a close eye on the news lately and this is nothing like the original EVO announcement. I our intent was to keep it simple and provide a device the fans have been asking for and provide answers to some of the demands (I.E. Netflix, Hulu, and a little extra beef on what is to be expected in technology a year later)Today, Holy cow you got ATT saying there buying T-mobile, announcing LG Thrill, and we haven't even step up to the podium yet!(Seriously) I know this thread will get out and so be it, but lets play ball. I call your 1gig processors and raise you with 1.2gig processors and I need to raise 2.0gig processors will do that. So yeah, if I have anything to say about it @ CTIA announcement tomorrow and I do. I plan for it to be announced. There is stage roll call, while this is hectic, we wouldn&#8217;t be here if wasn&#8217;t for you fans/support. I&#8217;ll catch sleep/vacation after EVO 3D launch just like the Original EVO. If you guys are able to catch the show live? I&#8217;ll give a shout out to Android Forums by salute on the stage.
Cheers,
BSOD(>-_0<)

I would never, it's a given and seen how there plan to do it. It's not all that high tech simple h/w, s/w @ tower and OTA patch for all 4G devices. At least we all say "4G".

BSOD(>-_0<)

I know you guys wanted that one (Ext SD Slot) sorry this time around it can be done because we have other plans for the piece of silicon.

BSOD(>-_0<)

I know been hearing that one too. :) Think quad core/ms kinect/3D/ and maybe!
BSOD(>-_0<)

There are no fps caps period. vid capture for 720p/1080p/3d720p/1080p/video playback of POV2D/3D/ H2.64 etc movies/Streaming 1080p/720p via DLNA/android games.

Stressed test all the above formats, load was nominal, need for fps caps non issue.

BSOD(>-_0<)

Too cool, jd. Really appreciate collecting all of BlueScreen's posts. Wish there was a way to merge this thread with the EVO 2 thread, while still keeping your post locked in the first post.

IDK what setup they have here on Androidforums. On my forum I can move posts from one thread to another...if Earlymon wanted, and this site had the capabilities, they could just move all those posts into here...

Upvote 0
Yep, I'm just deciding if or where...

No need to jump the gun and confuse people. ;)

Pages of responses are already streaming by.

So, I'll tell you what I'm gonna do.

I'm going to lock this one and move subsequent BSOD posts into the OP of this thread and bump it.

That way, there will be this summary here to save lots of confusion in searching, and discussions over there.

And for those that don't know - clicking that triangle next to BSOD's name in any of those quotes will take you to the original thread/post.

If anyone has a better idea, freely PM me.

Cheers, thanks a lot!

Upvote 0
I fail to see the "glaring" differences between what BSOD said would be announced and what was actually announced. Anyone want to point them out for me (seriously)?

well despite the kickstand, 3MP ffc, and the ROM space tidbits, to me he was pretty spot on. a little long winded but he was close enough. even other confirmed he was pretty much accurate with OG Evo news before launch.

Upvote 0
For lordofthereef:

Answer one of the more recent questions yes the new EVO will have a kickstand. I guess that was answered up above, but the new kickstand will be beefier and contoured to the back side of the case.

EVO 3D will be lithographed on the kickstand metal as well

I guess the last one that guys might like to know is that the front facing camera, is not 1.3mp. The one we have in house is 3mp.

There is no room for the HTC emblem or Sprint at the top of the device, but there is still the EVOish metal grill. EVO 3D feels heavier and that could be attributed to battery. The data ports and jacks are still located at the top and bottom. The EVO 3D is more at home in landscape mode with the kickstand out.

It is std affair 1gig RAM and 4gig ROM, with cavet. Depending on the needs of the 2nd processor and software applications 4gig ROM will act like RAM. This takes a bit of hardware/software trickery, but it is working. I guess you could look at as tri-channel memory like a higher end tri channel memory configuration in a WinVista/Intel 1366DDRAM setup. 1gig RAM will stay Dual Channel, Until the need for Tri-Channel then ROM becomes RAM. So while they will be classified as 4gigs of ROM, Physically speaking there really RAM Silicon.

1) HTC EVO 3D will isolate twin cameras to produce the firsts 180 degree panoramic photo at 5mp resolution. (Option will be in sense UI)
2) HTC EVO will produce the first ever 10mp photo on cell phone by using what is called paralax photo capture (each camera will capture an image and over lay it to produce 10mp photo) (Once again tap on 10mp photo)

6) True 4G, EVO 3D will be the industry first (LTE+WimaX) device. Sprint has plans for all 4G devices to be backwards compatible and be able to support (Wimax+LTE) (Shift/Epic/EVO/etc.)

1) Camera will have a Sport mode, the 5mp camera's will function in tandem, but alternate. Each camera will burst alternately and provide crystal clear photography on high speed action events. (11 fps) I have tested this out and watch a 20ft putt go in the hole in frame, by frame increments. To be upfront burst sport mode will only work in 2d mode for obvious reasons, because the two cameras are sharing the load@5mp.

Upvote 0
I fail to see the "glaring" differences between what BSOD said would be announced and what was actually announced. Anyone want to point them out for me (seriously)?

Seriously, can you point out something that he actually got right that we didn't already know about in advance?

Out of everything he said, we either already knew about it or he was flat out wrong. and this was the night before the announcement (where he was supposedly going to be on stage making the announcement, and giving a shout out to this forum). I would think if he was legit, he would have known about the device the night before he was supposed to announce it.

He was a troll.

Upvote 0
For lordofthereef:
THe only thing That I would not put in there right now is all the stuff that the twin cams can do, just b/c it was not announced they could do them, that part sounds more like a software thing and might still be in the works, OR cam software available later from the market to take advantage of this, the hardware may still be able to do/handle this, they just dont have the software fully worked out yet. but who knows untill it happends!!!! (BTW this is all IMHO... in no way do I know that this is correct, but its just my logical mind working, lol)

Upvote 0
THe only thing That I would not put in there right now is all the stuff that the twin cams can do, just b/c it was not announced they could do them, that part sounds more like a software thing and might still be in the works, OR cam software available later from the market to take advantage of this, the hardware may still be able to do/handle this, they just dont have the software fully worked out yet. but who knows untill it happends!!!! (BTW this is all IMHO... in no way do I know that this is correct, but its just my logical mind working, lol)

Well he said they were going to announce/demo it today, so he was wrong either way.

He claimed that all the stuff he "leaked" to us was going to be announced, plus a lot more that he couldn't leak.

Reactions: marctronixx
Upvote 0
Seriously, can you point out something that he actually got right that we didn't already know about in advance?

Out of everything he said, we either already knew about it or he was flat out wrong. and this was the night before the announcement (where he was supposedly going to be on stage making the announcement, and giving a shout out to this forum). I would think if he was legit, he would have known about the device the night before he was supposed to announce it.

He was a troll.

yeah, i was hoping the lte+wimax capabilities were right.

Upvote 0
yeah, i was hoping the lte+wimax capabilities were right.

I think this and the kickstand removal is my only shortcomings in yesterday.

But dont think for a moment I wont be getting my new evo 3d the FIRST DAY it is released. I will do like I did last year...take the day off from work for baby bonding....:D

Well as a person who thinks positive - one thing BSOD did was keep us excited and hyped for the device 3 days before the presentation....so I can appreciate that!!!!:)

Upvote 0
Don't assume that this isn't right. There is a possibility. The phone isn't being sold at the store right now. We have months to go before launch. How do you know they cannot sneak it in there?

I think the point is that currently, this is nothing more than rumor. There are certainly any number of things they could "squeeze in there", but there is no reason for us to assume this will happen outside of another poster who states he works for HTC has said this would happen. Quite frankly, I think an antenna like this would come only if Sprint was absolutely certain they were going with LTE. If they are certain NOW, I think we would have heard an announcement. Even though there seems to be good information suggesting Sprint will go with LTE in the future, they are not about to go announcing anything until all the T's have been crossed and I's dotted.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones