• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Evo 4G to Boost Mobile Guide/Evo 3D

It's possible. Read 465, 466 from the already flashed phone. Write down the meid of the phone that's under settings.

Write the meid to the new phone. Reset the phone by ##786#. When it comes back after reboot cancel ota activation. Write the info you got from 465 & 466. The phone will reboot and activate itself. Revert the old evo to the original meid from under the battery, do a reset on it.

Good luck.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Good! Then one more question. The htc already flashed has the screen broke and is impossible see through it. What do you suggest me to do now?
Is there an app that will let your mirror your screen to the laptop or to the tv screen (perhaps with the mini hdmi out)? You'll HAVE to get the phone into diagnostic mode and read the necessary stuff from it. No way to get around it since the original donor is not around.

Maybe you could give it to someone who has some spare parts that can rig it long enough to get the screen into a working state however temporary...

Upvote 0
Hello again everyone!! It's been a couple years since I've done this...but I'm now upgrading my Evo 4G to a Samsung GS2. I originally flashed my Evo 4G to Boost using an incognito and it's been awesome! Just time for an upgrade since a lady at work decided to sell me hers for $50. I'm just having issues getting it to work after 2 days of trying.

Since I have windows 7 I can't read the incognito at all. So i tried it with the Evo, so far it seems to have worked great. Why shouldn't it? It has all the same information. I have MSL for Evo and GS2 already, easy enough. I scanned the NVitems 465, 466, 1192 and 1194 from the EVO and wrote them to the GS2. Believe it or not IT CHANGED THE MEID. Right?! I remember hating searching to zero out the MEID and write the new one, but I didn't have to do that. If I go into QXDM and RequestNvItemRead MEID (and ESN) it shows correctly for my donor phone/EVO. Seriously that is just a stroke of luck because that was the crappy part...anyways

I used QXDM on the EVO 4G to get the HA/AAA Keys, HA keys contained a 20 0's ?? after the first 12 digits...wonder why. The AAA Keys all showed up. I entered this Data using QPST under M.IP into the HEX area for profile 0 and 1. Profile 0 read MEID@Sprint what ever, wrote my name@sprint whatever. Wrote into the CDMA1 and 2 tabs, roaming tab the directory and other stuff. Wrote to phone and it rebooted.

Still not connecting so i even manually used DFS to change the PRL to 31103 and not the sprint one. Still not connecting. If i go into about phone it shows the right MEID, my name, my phone number. It says searching for service and mobile network state is disconnected.

What am i forgetting?! lol. The phone isn't rooted, I do have CWM 6. something on here now. I had it rooted with stock app but went to go to CM and it wouldn't boot. Got it back to stock but isn't rooted. Decided to wait on it until i got it activated...but in the guide it says it needs to be rooted. For the love of all that is boost mobile i can't remember why it needs to be rooted...that's probably why it isn't working. Any thoughts?

Hey Optimus!

Upvote 0
hey Steve, I am not familiar with those phones, I left boost for tmobile years ago, then left t mobile for straight talk, using the same phone, I now have gsm phone and am very happy no more running around the phone 3 times praying to the gods, sacrificing a chicken just to get service to work. lmao.

This is what I can tell you, the evo will have the profile 0 key which you will need to program into the new phone, then just activate the phone it as long as the esn and meid are correct it will write the profile 1 for you

Upvote 0
I think you had the Evo 3D when I spoke to you in 2012...not sure. Anyways the Galaxy S2 isn't much different than the Evo. I read the HA/AAA keys for Profile 0 and 1, entered them in. When i wrote them to the phone it gave me an error saying NV Item IMEI is read only, or something. It rebooted and all the information was the same. All the information in Service programming is exactly the same, the MEID/ESN is the same, changed URL How do i activate it other than turning it on? IT's probably that small detail I'm forgetting.

For some reason I can't install a custom ROM on this thing, gets stuck at bootup screen even after installing CWM 6. what ever. I have to keep going to stock, blah.

I thought about going to straight talk because its GSM and can just transfer sim card...maybe once i get my use out of this phone.

Upvote 0
Well, after days of trying I give up. tried to do a different modem and it bricked the phone. Stuck in bootloop even though i have recovery and Odin available. no stock rom fixes it. I get Efs boot cause issues. Not sure how to fix it. Guess I wasted my time and money on the phone.
Sorry to hear that. Unfortunately without the original info off the donor phone I'm unsure how to progress. We could've pulled the donor info off the Evo but we could never be really sure. I usually save the information off the donor to a text file and destroy the donor.

As for flashing the S2, too bad it died. I'd have suggested that you use a Prevail as donor and get on with it. No incognito or XP necessary. I've seen the Prevail go for as little as 20 on ebay. Badly damaged but well enough to give up the ghost to you before dying. I've also bough a few Prevails on ebay for much less. 5 on up to 10 but those are mostly dead phones, cracked screen, button wont work etc. But I have a bunch of spare parts for the Prevail that I've accumulated.

I currently have an S3 that's on Boost using the information of my Prevail. I also recently did an S2 for a friend.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones