• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root evo 4g with cyanogenmod 7.2

Hmmmm......I wondered about that.

Would the rEVOlutionary program I used to root it be one?

a custom recovery is kind of like a mini os. on the phone you have the android os(this will depend on the rom you are on, but in general it is gingerbread, ICS or JB), then there is the bootloader, and finally you have your recovery.

like mikey said revolutionary is just a program used to get root. now what some get confused about is that revolutionary automatically installs a custom recovery called clockwork mod and in the recovery menu it mentions revolutionary when it is not.

Upvote 0
OK, so Clockwork mod and nandroid are recoveries?

No Clockworkmod or revolutionary in the list of installed applications.

Clockwork mod is a recovery...as is Amon ra, smelkus, twrp, etc.
Revolutionary is a rooting program. Unrevoked is a rooting program. (for our phones)

Nandroid--when you hear people say "nandroid" or "make a nand backup" or "restore from nand"---it is basically a backup --a saved "snapshot" of your current phones state. This backup is made in the recovery. A nandroid backup will be your best-est friend when things you change go wonky:D

As far as recovery, we all recommend Amon ra or the newer, smelkus.

Edit: hey...lookie there...3000...yay me :)

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
Looks like I have to go into Recovery Mode or Bootloader to install it.
Once you download the PC36IMG file, just rename the file PC36IMG.zip....be sure to not add an extra .zip to the end, windows hides file extentions. Also be sure to put it on the root of the sd card...not in any folder. If not done like this, bootloader will not find it.

Then power phone off, boot into bootloader by holding volume down and power at the same time, continue holding both buttons until your bootloader screen comes up....a few seconds later, it will scan for the PC36IMG file and will ask you to update...say yes...then reboot.
If installed successfully, you can now either rename, or delete that file so bootloader does not find it again, as you already installed it.

Are you s-off or s-on....your bootloader screen should tell ya.
The reason I ask, is if you are s-on, then we need to go about installing smelkus in a different way.

Reactions: ocnbrze and maxnix
Upvote 0
Ah, I thought that is what it was doing.

So how do I make the nandroid backup then?
No problem,
go into the recovery, select backup, I cant remember exactly where it is at....when you start the backup process, you have some options to check off, to back up...again, I cannot remember what they all are:eek:
If you want, when you get to that point, post back what option there are to backup and I can tell you which ones to check off:)

Upvote 0
I got into recovery mode and using the default first 3 checked boxes, did a nandroid backup. I was thinking MikG3.11 was causing trouble in that it was randomly rebooting all the time. Now, however, I cannot call out, or it will call the last number on it's own accord.

So I will disassemble it today to check for any visual damage. If there is none I will try to reload a different ROM that is stable, or even the stock one (OTA?) to try to determine if it is hardware related or not.

Any recommendations? I really do not want to lose root and S-off unless I return the phone.

Thanks for all of your and Ocnbrze help.

Upvote 0
I got into recovery mode and using the default first 3 checked boxes, did a nandroid backup. I was thinking MikG3.11 was causing trouble in that it was randomly rebooting all the time. Now, however, I cannot call out, or it will call the last number on it's own accord.

So I will disassemble it today to check for any visual damage. If there is none I will try to reload a different ROM that is stable, or even the stock one (OTA?) to try to determine if it is hardware related or not.

Any recommendations? I really do not want to lose root and S-off unless I return the phone.

Thanks for all of your and Ocnbrze help.
I would try to go back into recovery and do a combo wipe of cache and dalvik cache and perhaps even fix permissions (wouldn't hurt).
Reboot and see if that clears up your phone call issue:)

Otherwise there are many other roms to try. Just dont accept the OTA updates please:D

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
Reactions: Mikestony
Upvote 0
I would try to go back into recovery and do a combo wipe of cache and dalvik cache and perhaps even fix permissions (wouldn't hurt).
Reboot and see if that clears up your phone call issue:)

Otherwise there are many other roms to try. Just dont accept the OTA updates please:D
Well, I thought about it, and the phone was not executing the dial command, so I assumed it was a software program and decided to reload MikG v3.11.

All went fine until it said the SD card needed formatting. So I am copying that to a folder, formatting, then I will attempt a copy back.

If this does not work, I will definitely try the Nitrous ROM.

Thanks.

Upvote 0
Got MikG 3.11 up and running, worked great then it froze. I wonder if it was a caller ID add in? Of course neither was it allowing text box entry.

On to nitrous. A little fatter, unfortunately.

Nitrous seems fine now with no caller ID apps. Miss a few things and not as slim as MikG 3.11, but more stable so far.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones