EVO 4G's Android 2.2 update starts trickling out July 30 (official OTA August 3rd)

1. teky

teky Well-Known Member

Advertisement
    :
  2. DarkNeo

DarkNeo Well-Known Member

Kioshi, t1jordan, jsweets13 and 12 others like this.
  3. teky

teky Well-Known Member

Hah...we posted the same thread at the same minute!

I'll see if I can delete mine.

Either way, we are getting it soon...too much buzz going on for it to be otherwise. I'm hoping it is tomorrow 'cuz I predicted it would be out in July...hehehehe.
  4. VGPOP

VGPOP Well-Known Member

Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  5. DannoSpeaks

DannoSpeaks Member

Awesome, can't wait. Hopefully this holds true.
  6. pokerjv

pokerjv Active Member

edlex likes this.
  7. heavychevy

heavychevy Well-Known Member

It says they are letting "client-initiated" downloads be the test bed which means it's likely that we can look for it like we did the brick (I mean first OTA) update. So they are going to see how many bricks they get this time.

I'm sure many of us will be too anxious to wait and will go ahead and try it. I think I might be on that list. I was game planning my root process too. I think I still might wait so I can get the Cyanogen root + Camera Mod if their trick doesn't get it done.

I would love HTC and sprint forever if they knocked out all three birds with one stone.

Froyo #1
    Camera (H.264) #2
    FPS (distant) #3
  8. DarkNeo

I hope I can update over unrevoked 3...:(
  9. teky

teky Well-Known Member

Oh, this is good too...it's more than just Froyo:

"Turns out this is no mere 2.2 upgrade, though -- they're making a bunch of changes, too, including a host of new preloaded widgets, a flashlight mode for the camera's LED flash, light-assisted 720p video, and "improvement" to the quality of said video capture (something we specifically complained about in our review). "
  10. ekt8750

ekt8750 Well-Known Member

Don't do it you'll prolly brick your phone.
  11. DarkNeo

People did the last OTA update over it and were fine. It just broke root, the problems were only with people that applied it twice.
  12. asaberan

asaberan Well-Known Member

I think just about every day I search Google News for "FroYo" and "HTC Evo". Glad I read it here first!
  13. ok, so this means that the free wifi root thingy wont work anymore right? Or will it just be a matter of time before someone bypasses whatever they are doing to stop it? I was just about to root my EVO but now i dont see a point.
  14. 3volut1on

3volut1on VIP Member VIP Member

Awesome!
  15. DarkNeo

Yeah just wait.
    MrAngeloRogers likes this.
  16. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon Moderator

:lmao:

Me too, but everyone convinced me I was wrong. :D

:lmao: some more -

I told WaSTeLaND he was wrong about August 5, but never told him that sekritly I expected later but was still holding out for July.

The memo says push-out is for 8/1 - and I can live with us being that wrong.

:lmao:

I love the smell of Napalm in the morning!
  17. Doomstang

Doomstang Well-Known Member

wohooooo, i just read the article and then came here to find the thread! Can't wait!
  18. bassic

bassic Active Member

I got a new EVO that had the old firmware 1.32.651.6 and did the 1.47.651.1 OTA update. After the update I was prompted to do it again, and went ahead (despite all the warnings, I wanted to see what would happen anyway) and to my surprise everything worked fine, no issues whatsoever.
  19. B Allen

B Allen Active Member

I'm curious about this as well. Free wi-fi hotspot was a selling point for me and I'd hate to lose it.

Anyone that's in the know understand how the hack works and if it's just a matter of finding another exploit?
  20. DarkNeo

The update was taken down then pushed again after it was fixed.
  21. DarkNeo

Yeah, sprint will charge for the hotspot feature of course. But Im sure we we be able to root 2.2 soon.
  22. DarkNeo

A small amount of user will receive it tomorrow just to make sure it doesnt brick any phones. Which means someone will upload it and we can have at it :D.
  23. Shawnz

Shawnz Well-Known Member

Yes in the sense that you will lose root.

The wifi tether that's being updated is the built-in $30/mo one that used ot be free on 4G. It'll no-longer be free.

I'm not rooted now and I plan on checkign for this update like a fiend. I'll root it later, I'd rather have Froyo than free (w/root) wifi tether right now.
  24. RoboMonkey

RoboMonkey Well-Known Member

25. VGPOP

VGPOP Well-Known Member

It took less than 2 months for us EVO ownerts to get froyo.

Sprint ain't wasting any time with its flagship smartphone.
    Connectz likes this.