EVO 4G's Android 2.2 update starts trickling out July 30 (official OTA August 3rd)

Last Updated:

1. ZoinksM3

ZoinksM3 Well-Known Member

I'm going to update regardless. Then again, I'm on of the poor schlubs that pays for the hotspot option.

I am supremely confident that there will be a root fix shortly after the official bits are available.

So to answer your question, I'd rather upgrade then wait for root, not the other way around.

2. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon Moderator

1. The 30th is the official date of that was listed on the Sprint support site that I took time to copy over here.

2. I said perhaps to trust the release date - of August 3 - based on that.
  3. mrvirginia

mrvirginia Well-Known Member

i'll wait until the update is nicely baked into a rooted ROM.
    waited this long...what's another week or so?
    EarlyMon likes this.
  4. EarlyMon

Earlier in this thread, people posted that based on a verbal exchange having NOTHING to do with the press release with a Sprint rep they were going to start looking for the update.

In future, kindly understand the issue before passing out your judgements.

You can do that by reading, too.
    sagedil likes this.
  5. swatpup102

swatpup102 Well-Known Member

So, what you're saying is people were assuming an update would come out at midnight based on a verbal exchange with a sprint rep that had no real idea when it was going to be available other than "today", so they waited for 12 and couldn't figure out what timezone they were in? Yeah, that's a solid excuse....
    B-Ran likes this.
  6. heavychevy

heavychevy Well-Known Member

There's what 4-5 days left tops, is there really any need to argue? Are some of you really getting upset because people are excited and there is mixed information available so therefore conflicting opinions and questions?

Is there really that much to beat your chest about if you are right by 4 days (be it today or tuesday or whatever)?

It's an update for goodness sake, we are not starving waiting for rations. The update will come when it will, don't get mad because people don't agree with you. That's what opinions are for.
  7. wase4711

wase4711 Well-Known Member

You are correct dude, its not like we are in Haiti, waiting for food or water to be brought in, but you couldn't tell that from the frenzy over this stupid update...

obviously, a very large percentage of people posting in the "Froyo" update threads have no life what so ever, and can afford to spend endless hours not only arguing about when the fricken update is coming down, but also about what time it will be, and what time zone...

there is NO HOPE for the future, if this kinda s*it is what is so important to people...
  8. EarlyMon

So, what I'm saying is that the idea came from a verbal exchange, not from the press release you referred to, and I'm not making any solid excuses to you about a thing.

I'm demanding one from you.

Please explain to me what logic you use to lecture others on their reading abilities when discussing a verbal exchange you were originally incapable of comprehending.

Feel free to explain that very, very carefully.

Without cursing, without run-on sentences and without your brand of invective.

Now - I don't expect it of you. You've had one chance, you sidestepped the issue from a press release to the unworthiness of Sprint reps, and you've therefore shifted responsibility elsewhere instead of on your own shoulders where it belongs.

But I give everyone two chances.

And excuse me for your wake up call, but another poster got this information, right down to the release date, from another Sprint rep some weeks back and was laughed at - and now people are eating crow on that one.

While you may find yourself completely superior to the opinions of others and possessing of secret knowledge that all Sprint reps are idiots - others such as myself see in you a completely different light.

And you know it.

Kindly disabuse yourself of the idea that you're free to exercise any psychoses here just because of your anonymity.
    sagedil, blackroseMD1 and twospirits like this.
  9. ZoinksM3

ZoinksM3 Well-Known Member

I think the point is that people keep harping on the rumor bits and ignore the facts.

This is a forum, so some amount of hysteria is expected. As a check for this behavior, the knowledgeable people in the community attempt to clarify and correct people on their information. This is being overlooked/ignored.
    sagedil and EarlyMon like this.
  10. jgalan14

jgalan14 Well-Known Member

EarlyMon likes this.
  11. EarlyMon

Neither is there any need to suffer name calling.

Waiting for the stock rooted rom version of this, myself.

<Jeopardy music plays.>
  12. twospirits

twospirits AF's janitor Moderator

First of all, the staff has every reason to determine if numerous threads that are similar need or should be merged. This avoids having so many that it clogs up the first page of the forum. If anyone feels that isn't the best course of action, feel free to address it with a staff member via pm.

The title was updated and I've updated it again to reflect todays date as oppose to tomorrow (which depending on when a reader sees it could be anyday.)

I agree, I take a day off and you folks can't contain yourselves. Enough of the bad language and rude inappropriate unnecessary comments. Quite a few posts have been removed and I will go through it also to make sure this thread stays clean and on topic.
    If it continues, infractions will commence.

Carry on.

TS out
    sagedil, marctronixx and wase4711 like this.
  13. EasyEEE

EasyEEE Well-Known Member

And that was the link I was looking for. The post on Sprint.Community says nothing about the 30th. Only place I read that.was from the confidential docs.

No big either way. I can wait until next week if we have to. :)
  14. jrstinkfish

jrstinkfish Well-Known Member

Bunch of savages in this thread!

Looking forward to Froyo -- I played with it a bit on an HTC Magic with the Cyanogen version, and it was pretty damn cool and made that phone seem less ancient (well, it IS ancient by smartphone standards). I hope it gets rid of the lag, too.
  15. B-Ran

B-Ran Well-Known Member

I never said the guy wasn't in the wrong, I was merely pointing out that some of us need to realize where we are before we police the world from our high horses. I didn't know it was anybody's duty other than the mods to handle that sort of thing... guess I was wrong.
    twospirits likes this.
  16. Aldo Junior Ao2

Aldo Junior Ao2 Well-Known Member

On a serious note for those few who get the update can ya'll do us a favor when it ask to download update do so. But when it ask you to install don't do it just yet go to your sdcard where it will leave a image of the update in the root of the card. Please drag it to your desktop and upload somewhere so we can all enjoy. That also would help alot of Devs work on making a rooted rom faster.
  17. blackroseMD1

blackroseMD1 New Member

Well, this is up on the Sprint site now...so it should be up for manual update sometime soon...

Attached Files:

hankbear and EarlyMon like this.
  18. Danduhman.ds

Danduhman.ds Well-Known Member

Last Updated: Jul 30, 2010
    Just like your computer, your phone's software needs to be updated periodically to make sure you have all the latest fixes and enhancements to keep it running at optimal performance. Follow the steps below to check your current version and perform any needed updates.

Version History
    Current Version: 3.26.651.3

Date released
    Description of enhancements/fixes
    3.26.651.37/30/2010This update offers:
    - Ability to share applications
    - Display events and birthdays from Facebook on Calendar
    - Use camera LED as flashlight
    - New user interface for the FM radio
    - Add unknown users in Facebook as friends in Friend Stream
    - Photo Gallery supports Facebook comments function
    - Send contact as vCard using SMS
    - Addition of MMS slideshow editor
    - New pre-loaded widgets including Calculator, FM radio, Message list view, Profile settings and Ringtone settings
    - Camcorder can use camera flash so video can be shot at night or in low light
    - Flash 10.1 support
    - Numeric PIN and alpha-numeric passwords to unlock screen
    - Search widget and search bar able to switch to search in different types (web, specific application, or all)
    - Adjustable alarm volume
    - Android Market widget allows installation of applications on SD card
  19. PyroSporker

PyroSporker Well-Known Member

^Approx. 2:30 AM

Hmmmmm, Its telling me that I need 1.47.651.1 (30.15MB) again. So maybe their OTA update server is back online after they took it down to add the file for Froyo to it? Maybe it will start being pushed out soon? Or maybe they take the update server down every night from 2:30am to 9:30am for maintenance? Who knows.

This is just speculation, but it is better than any other info out there. And it is much better than bickering like a house full of hens.
    EarlyMon likes this.
  20. I want my EVO

I want my EVO Well-Known Member

I just tried to do the HTC software update and then the Firmware update and both came back that nothing was able to be updated.

You sure you applied that HTC OTA update?
  21. SprintFun

SprintFun VIP Member VIP Member

Figures the official FroYo update would come after a root and put cyanogen mod on it lol.
  22. veereihen6

veereihen6 Active Member

ok, assuming the 2.2 update comes today, or Aug 3rd, or whenever....how do we backup our data/SMS/MMS/apps, etc before running the update?
  23. B Allen

B Allen Active Member

When did this site become MacRumors?

C'mon guys. I've read through enough posts in the past couple weeks to know you're all better than that.
  24. I want my EVO

I want my EVO Well-Known Member

I used "MybackUp" located in the market. Its a 30 day trial and it backs up your apps, contacts, msgs pretty much everything and it will store it on your SD card.
    asaberan likes this.