• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

EVO 4G's Android 2.2 update starts trickling out July 30 (official OTA August 3rd)

I think that one is dead. Of course, we've heard so many confusing things reported from HTC, it's hard to tell for sure. But the last word I heard on it was that HTC wasn't going to mess with the FPS issue. Looks like it's all up to the indy devs now.

I currently have the fix on my phone and guess I will have to lose it if I go with this update :mad:

Upvote 0
I hate to sound like I'm not optimistic but

I'll take a wait and see approach. After the ******edly long wait for 2.1 on my hero, I have learned not to trust those "documents". So many of them popped up left and right while we were waiting for 2.1...

If it happens then GREAT, but this seems a little bit ouuta nowhere to me.

ONly time will tell I guess

Upvote 0
I hate to sound like I'm not optimistic but

I'll take a wait and see approach. After the ******edly long wait for 2.1 on my hero, I have learned not to trust those "documents". So many of them popped up left and right while we were waiting for 2.1...

If it happens then GREAT, but this seems a little bit ouuta nowhere to me.

ONly time will tell I guess

It'll happen...Sprint is under huge competitive pressure to keep up now...not so much back when they were dabbling in Android with the Hero. They live or die by Android now and to keep up, they have to do this ASAP.

Upvote 0
Not for long...they'll have a new version out fast. The devs have the EVO pretty well figured out by now.
So looks like I have a few options. I can remove the FPS fix and install 2.2 over unrevoked, and wait until its unrevoked again with a working FPS fix kernel. Or I can not update to 2.2 and wait until the devs release a rooted version, in which case I will have to fully root, and also wait for a working 2.2 FPS fix kernel. Or of course go Cyanogen 6 lol.

Upvote 0
congrats guys , welcome to the big leagues

I am reading through this thread semi excited about a phone update, but I read this comment and had to think that I am missing something. Is 2.2 this big of a deal? And I am not being disparaging. I have just read enough phone forums to know that people are bored and start to look forward to things and make them bigger then they are, due to anticipation.

It's really good to see that the phone is getting updated earlier then before, just because that means that it will be around for a long time. And I think that is what this quote meant.

Pardon my curbed enthusiasm and slight skepticism. I owned a Samsung Instinct and am still recovering from that experience.

Upvote 0
Well that's a kick in the balls, I feel. Here we are, with a super phone, and yet for some reason the people at HTC making the drivers for this STILL can't get things right. They've ****ed up on the graphics drivers, leaving us locked at 30fps because the HDMI out port is constantly trying to run or something. Yes, from a logical standpoint, 30fps isn't a big deal, it's a high enough frame rate where most things aren't choppy or noticeable. However, I think anything involving graphics on the Evo is STILL going to stutter and be choppy, even with our fabled 2.2 update. That, right there, is about the only thing I was looking forward to with this... and they've still refused to even acknowledge that it's a glaring problem.

Also, inb4Ican'tseeanydifferenceabove20fps.
(You can indeed, see a difference, despite all the know it all's claiming otherwise on here. Find some game or something on your computer that allows you to lock graphic/video playback at frame rate intervals. Try it at 20. Try it at 30. Try it at 45. Then, try it at 60. There's HUGE differences, if you're willing to open your eyes.)

Upvote 0
I am reading through this thread semi excited about a phone update, but I read this comment and had to think that I am missing something. Is 2.2 this big of a deal? And I am not being disparaging. I have just read enough phone forums to know that people are bored and start to look forward to things and make them bigger then they are, due to anticipation.

It's really good to see that the phone is getting updated earlier then before, just because that means that it will be around for a long time. And I think that is what this quote meant.

Pardon my curbed enthusiasm and slight skepticism. I owned a Samsung Instinct and am still recovering from that experience.

apps2sd
flash 10.1

that's enough to get me excited

Reactions: RichboyJhae
Upvote 0
Well that's a kick in the balls, I feel.

Dude - too much coffee?

Wait a day and find out.

Besides, after a few days, you can decide to go with it, and if features you want aren't there, to wait/campaign for them - or you can root and pick your features, menu-style.

It's just a suggestion, but with the energy you're spending being upset on this, you could just fix it yourself instead.

And yes, I sympathize.

I'm rooted, not because it's cool, but because that's the choice some of us have to make.

I'm all about getting to the H.264 codec - with all of my phone features working.

If they truly have the Froyo release publicly available before 8/4 then that means exactly what it means: they mobilized resources to meet demand on this in less than two months.

So, please, a little less venom on how they're not taking care of us at all.

Corporations move slower than individuals and we simply are not the only user base that HTC has to consider for competitive purposes at this time.

That's life, compadre.

Cheers!

Upvote 0

maybe a little, but what i have read on froyo, i've been looking forward to it.

and i'm not much of a phone junkie until the evo. prior this this, i was using a cheap tmobile prepaid phone

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones