EVO + Apple Airport Extreme + Xbox

Last Updated:

1. bestphonever

bestphonever Active Member This Topic's Starter

Greetings and salutations.

I have a small issue in that whenever my EVO is connected to my router (Apple Airport Extreme) and my xbox 360 is on, the xbox keeps getting disconnected. I can connect and get a couple games in until my connection to xbox live gets dropped.

This problem goes away when my evo is on 4g or 3g and I mean this isn't a huge deal but I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts to why this was happening, or possibly a solution for a fix.

The xbox is wired to the router if that helps at all.
    The xbox has a static ip address and it's different than the Evo's.

Thanks a ton.

Advertisement
  2. LiquidLife

LiquidLife Well-Known Member

I'm a network engineer, and I can tell you right now that from the information you are providing that it sounds like you have a crappy router...

Try reseting your routers configuration to the default, and use all DHCP, see if that helps... you don't need to use static IPs.

If you get a chance get Linksys, which is part of Cisco Systems.

3. bestphonever

bestphonever Active Member This Topic's Starter

I'll try the factory reset and see if that helps. The Airport's been running like a champ up until I got the evo. I'll post back if the reset helps when I get a chance to do it. Thanks a lot for the help. Much appreciated.

Like I said it wasnt a big deal, just a minor pain in the rear..

4. eieio

eieio Well-Known Member

if the phone times out it will kill the connection. It happened to me a few times before I noticed it..

5. squeakr

squeakr Member

Is the static being assigned by the router, or is it only set up in the xbox? If it is set up in the xbox only it could be causing a problem with the dhcp (assuming you are using it on the router, as dhcp could be controlled by a server as well, or both and that would really cause a problem). What is the rest of your setup, and do you have other things hard wired or connected that are dropping at the time as well? If you are running a server your problem could be within its setup as well. Further info would be easier for us to help you.
    I disagree that the router is crap, as I have several Linksys, Buffalo, and an Airport extreme (I have had Belkin and D-Link). The Airport is by far the best out of the lot and has the best radios and signal strengths, the next would be the D-Link (or the older Linksys), and then the others would be tied for dead last (Belkin due to issues with how they handle their radios and proprietary software implementation and lack of open source availability, and Linksys as their newer radios are subpar when compared to older units). I would question advice that is slanted for a certain specific brand that is an open ended statement without model recommendations (even the commercial Cisco stuff has its lemons), as lately Linksys is building some of the shoddiest stuff I have seen with weak radios that overheat. It is not the same quality of Linksys of old, in my opinion (and I have noticed this since they have started branding it as a division of Cisco, relying on Cisco's rep to pull them through read online reviews and form your own opinion), but that is unrelated to this issue.

Supply more information and hopefully we can help better. I have the same devices and have no problems whatsoever when they are all connected, and I am using static addresses (some of us need them to be enabled to reach certain nodes from outside the internal networks, and I have several servers and workstations running within my residence). I too am a software and network engineer by trade for what it is worth.

6. LiquidLife

I don't know too much about brands of home networking equipment, I just know that using both static and DHCP at the same time doesn't work to well with home routers, they are very limited as you know. I work with the big stuff.

I didn't know Linksys was relying on cisco to bring their rep up, good to know. Based on my personal experience I know that home networking equipment tend to offer services that they really aren't designed to do all that well.

Restoring the default configuration should fix whatever problems he has based on the information he's provided assuming that it's a combination of user error and crappy home equipment.

In addition make sure you set your xbox network config to default as well.

CCNP here, you?

7. squeakr

squeakr Member

The Airport is just shy of commercial qualifications (they use several in the Apple stores, but if you ask the right techs you will find that they use some nice Cisco's as well). FCC certified, HP AIS, and MS certified, no CCNP. As for static and dynamic, most of the home routers have some decent exclusion ranges, so just make sure that your statics aren't issued in the range of the dhcp scope, as you already know, and you are golden. The older WRT54g models range of the Linksys are some of the best regarded home units (up there with Zytels and Asus routers), but the newer stuff just isn't robust and the radios overheat, so the software throttles it back leading to lower dBm ranges equating to lower distances, throughput, and signal quality, paired with client drops.
    The newer n ranges just aren't as robust as some of the g stuff, but the newer Airports have gotten this tamed and are the best routers I have had hands down (0 down time since I installed in December, not counting the stupid power outage at home and when I took it down to swap out the Windows 2003 server for the new Snow Leopard server. :) )

8. LiquidLife

I understand what ur saying, I'm just trying to make this basic for the users sake, I'm sure u can understand that.

9. squeakr

squeakr Member

I totally understand. Would be nice is the OP would reply, as there is so much info missing from this equation. If you have never worked with the Airport, you wouldn't know that it is almost next to impossible to configure via normal routes (ssh or web browser), as it has its own configuration client, or can be automatically configured from the mac servers. With the comment about having a static ip, I am thinking the OP has either a messed up configuration, or there is more to the equation (can't help it, this is just the tech in me and I want all of the information, as every piece is pertinent, whether someone thinks it is or not).